Search

Denali Bus

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Denali Bus

When taking the bus into Denali park which side is the best to sit on? I was thinking it would be the right side. Is this the side you can look down over at Polychrom Pass?\

Jamie
Old Apr 26th, 2006, 03:29 AM

Left side.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 12:29 PM

As the road goes along the right side of the valley best would be to sit left side when going eastbound and right side on the way back. As vehichles keep the right side of the road the best view is to sit on the right side on the way back as your right window overlooks down the valley with no margin of sight of the gravel road ! But for someone it is even too much impressive as there is no road side protection at all at Polycrom Pass ! It was really stunning !!

Old May 1st, 2006, 06:28 AM
jq

But then again, we saw our close up grizzly last trip on the right side on the way in. But the wolves were on the left. Caribou and moose on both sides. Sheep are on the right side.
Old May 1st, 2006, 12:12 PM

Just don't forget to pack lots of snacks, water, etc. It's a long long day.
Old May 1st, 2006, 12:48 PM

About food and water. Are there lockers at trail heads to store some food and water, esp. water? We're planning at least 10 to 12 hours trip, and will be bringing lots of water and food. But it will be a pain to lug some much stuff around on a hike. Could we store the water bottles somewhere before hitting the trail?

Also, do we need to put food in a bear proof container while hiking? We don't want a bear to go after our backpack during the hike. Does the park give out containers on loan?

Thanks.
Old May 1st, 2006, 05:42 PM

I have researched Denali park and the shuttle bus system in detail-but no where have I seen reference to restrooms-over an eight hour or more day-what do you do??? Thanks for the info!!!
Old May 1st, 2006, 05:55 PM

They stop along the way and there are outhouses. Anyway that is what the information they sent me along with my shuttle bus tickets said.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 05:53 PM

Marleneawe-

When are you going? I booked months ago and didn't receive any information by mail. I'm going in mid May.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:01 AM

I am going the end of May and have had my tickets for at least 2 months. You might want to call the park and question your ticket statuts.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 10:14 AM

I received a reservation confirmation letter along with our tickets and on the back was all the information. It stated: If your bus does not have bathroom facilities, the bus will stop along the way throughout the day and outhouses are available.They were sent to my on Feb 1st. I had the reservation before then, they tried to send over email and for some reason could not make it all go through so they sent the letter and tickets to me via snail mail.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 04:13 PM

Do they send you physical tickets? I just received an email confirmation. That should be good enough right?

Going at the end of May!
Thanks.
Old May 4th, 2006, 11:46 AM

they send tickets when reservations are made months in advance. By short notice the email confirmation is enough. You will exchange it with physical tickets once at the park entrance. We did the same last year
Old May 4th, 2006, 12:46 PM

I have physical tickets plus the letter with the confirmation. I will not have to exchange them they are the actual tickets. If you just received a confirmation then you should be contacted by a agent within 3 business days . That is what happened to me. I sent the reservation information and received a notice with a confirmation number on it but stating that it was not valid until a agent contacted me and within two days I received a email from a agent and he confirmed the whole transaction and sent the tickets by mail.It does state if a reservations was made within a short time where they would not have time to send tickets you can present the confirmed reservation from the agent at the ticket office when you arrive.
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:11 PM

@JC98

Food lookers are located on the campgrounds only.

Denali NP is trailless with a few exemptions (Wonder Lake, Kantishna Valley are areas with trails) and you will not find any trailheads. The trailheads in Kantishna valley are not marked and mainly used by Lodge visitors.

You can hike in most areas, whereever you like (if rangers to not close the area). But most people don't do so, because they are afraid to miss the bus.

Old May 8th, 2006, 08:58 AM

I just got the electronic tickets via email. I was supposed to print them myself. No mention of getting physical tickets. Maybe this is new. I bought the seats about a month ago for travel in early June.

I hope that's all needed. Wonder why they would have different procedures.
Old May 8th, 2006, 09:05 AM

That is all you need. My agent tried to send them in a email and for some reason they would not work, therefore he mailed them to me. Print them out and take them and they are your tickets.