deli near Tenement Museum

Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deli near Tenement Museum

thanks to several postings wer'e heading to the museum during our Jul 4th trip. Other than Katz's, are there any good delis near the museum.Ive read alot of mixed reviews about Katz's---thanks
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 04:06 PM

Maybe the mixed reviews were from know-nothings. Have a pastrami sandwich and a bottle of Cel-Ray and soak up the one-of-a-kind ambience.

While you're in the neighborhood, pick up a knish at Yonah Schimmel--another gem of a place: http://knishery.com/

HTTY
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 05:37 PM

If you're looking for a classic Jewish deli, Katz's is IT in NYC and happens to be near the museum.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 05:58 PM

And there really aren't any other delis near the Tenement Museum, so if you decide against Katz's, you either need to pick another type of food, or go to another neighborhood
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 06:08 PM

Those people probably didn't know to put $1.00 in the deli man's tip jar to get an extra-thick sandwich, or to order a sandwich with the fat trimmed. My mouth is watering here in deli-deprived Northern California.
Old Jun 2nd, 2010, 06:53 PM

Unfortunately, you are about 50 years too late.

I do not know about mixed reviews. It could from people who have never had real Jewish deli. I traveled around the coutnry and what passes as NY Deli is just plain awful. I have not, however, been to Zingerman's or Nate and Al's in LA. But Katz's makes the best pastrami.

But to me the best Jewish Deli is 2nd Ave simply because they also sell dishes potato and noodle kugel and kasha varnishkes.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

ok--you all have convinced me,im going to Katz's--by the way,in my searching before i posted, there was a post about the "rules" at Katz's, eg, sitting at a table, getting a ticket etc.I just now searched and couldnt find the post.Do any of you nice folks know the rules, or could link me to the post--thanks
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 05:08 AM

When you enter Katz's each person will be given a little ticket like they used to have in cafterias. Do not lose it.

You can either go to the counters and order the food yourself or sit on the far left for table service.

If you order yourself, you must get dfferent items from different people behind the counter. If you buy a sandwich stuff a buck into the tip jar for a taste and a larger sandwich. Bribery is leagl there. The guy behind the counter will mark up your ticket.

On the weekends and most lunches during the week if is packed and it is a fairly large restaurant. Go at night.

If you want desseet go around the corner on Orchard street to Il Laboratorio de Gelato where they make their own.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much--we'll be there around 12:30 on a Friday---do you think it'll be like a zoo at that time--we'll be sitting.Guess we can go look and if its crazy busy,move on.Itll be friday 7/2,so maybe the normal lunch crowd will be alittle thinner.i hope
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 06:39 AM

That Friday alot of people will alredy headed out of the city for the long weekend - but tourists will be there in swarms. I'm guessing a little bit lighter - since many tourists don;t know/like real deli (they expect the same awful stuff theyget at home. There is even a chain called NY Delis - which is about as far from a real delis as you can get anywhere - they serve tiny sandwiches, no real pastrami and no tongue, no kosher pickes PLUS potato chips!)
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 07:30 AM

If you can go earlier, it would be better.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 08:05 AM

And don't get table service. Part of the experience at Katz' is the counter ordering. Make sure the deli man SEES you put $1.00 in the tip jar. Really, just $1.00. (I was the one who posted the "rules"). If you want french fries or a few other things (soda?) you go to a different counter, so your group can just split up into different lines. But your deli man can get your soup if you're going for that! And try to sit in the main (front) room -- the back room is too quiet!
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 08:41 AM

bigbomoho, you're getting great advice on Katz's from everyone above. Note that this is also a worthy place to get an egg cream for a beverage if that's of interest.

And I'd personally be very suspicious of negative posters re Katz's. Their pastrami juicy on rye with deli mustard is arguably the best sandwich of any kind I've had anywhere.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 08:50 AM

Ooooh, an egg cream is a must!!
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

thanks again,alot.I have a foot probelm and cant stand for too long in one place, so will need to sit (its hell getting old)--i used to work in lower Manhattan so dont really need the experience as far as counter guys--i remember waiting "on line" and the counter guys would be yelling 5 or 6 deep saying "Ok what do you want,we dont have all day"I will have an agg cream as well--thanks.So after getting our ticket, we just go to our left,and someone will serve us//is the back room/front room choice as well??thanks
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 09:31 AM

Incidentally, on my most recent visit to Katz, my dollar in the jar was rewarded with an entire plate of pickles along with my taste of pastrami.

bigbomoho, I've never stood more than a couple minutes in line even at the busiest. But yes you can sit. And rarely do I see a wait for "sit down service" tables. There is a back room, sort of, but no different really. I think the only sit down service is along the wall of the main room.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 09:41 AM

I'm pretty sure Neo is right that the sit-down service is along the left-hand wall in the main room.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 10:34 AM
Original Poster

i cant wait--now if i can find a deli somewhere near St pauls (WTC) we could go 2 days in a row--YUMMY!!
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 10:55 AM

I went to Katz totally uninitiated - hadn't read the rules or anything. It wasn't hard to figure out as long as you've ever been to a cafeteria. I wouldn't worry too much about figuring out all the rules ahead of time.
Old Jun 3rd, 2010, 11:15 AM

There's no major Jewish-style deli down in the WTC/St. Paul's area, unfortunately. If you want to pick a second one besides Katz's to try at some point, 2nd Avenue Deli (around 33rd and 3rd) is a good choice -- it's the only one of the major delis that's actually kosher, too.

Further uptown (more or less near Rockefeller Center and Times Square) are the Carnegie Deli and Stage Deli. And both Artie's and Barney Greengrass (the latter has a specialty in smoked fish) are further uptown, in the general vicinity of the American Museum of Natural History. Maybe not the equal of Katz's or 2nd Avenue, but worth considering if you're in the neighborhood and want this cuisine.

The subway will reach all these easily enough.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -