Search

Deep Ellum

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2007, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deep Ellum

I keep seeing references to Deep Ellum,I know that this is somrthing to do with Elm Street but where does the area start?I am staying at the Adolphus on Commerce Street,is this near Deep Ellum?I have also heard that the area around where I am staying may be unsafe to walk around at night,is this true?
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 05:55 AM
Jed

Welcome to Fodors, dabber. It might help to be more specific as to what city or state you are asking about.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 06:29 AM

It's in Dallas.

Deep Ellum is seperated from downtown by a highway (where I-45 meets I-75). The main street are Elm, Main, Commerce between Good Latimer and Walton - that's where most of the clubs, etc are.

It's easy enough to take a cab (and a short ride) - I wouldn't walk from the Adolphus into Deep Ellum at night. There's a block or two that's a little creepy once you approach Good Latimer.

I would walk from the Adolphus to the bars, clubs, restaurants on Main St in downtown at night.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 07:32 AM

Deep Ellum is south of the I-45/75 overheads. It is an area full of very funky live music clubs and restaurants. Its popularity has waned in recent years, but there are still neat things to see there.

DO NOT walk to or from Deep Ellum at night. Take a cab. As you will see, the central business district of Dallas is very busy during the day, but it becomes a ghost town at night. Dallas has a fairly significant homeless population, and they often hang around in the downtown and Deep Ellum areas at night.

Fort Worth, on the other hand, has a downtown that is lively almost 24 hours a day! The Sundance Square area is full of clubs, restaurants and shops, making it a fun and safe place to be during day or night.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:17 AM
dgg

ChristiP is right on. I really wouldn't bother with Deep Ellum and it is unsafe. I posted a reply to your other thread on Dallas so look at that if you haven't already. I also forgot to mention the Farmers Market in downtown which is a nice place to stroll around for an hour or so in the morning or early afternoon. It is safe.
Old Jan 22nd, 2007, 06:41 AM

The only time I go to Deep Ellum any more is during the week for lunch on occasion. the area has gotten fairly rough in the past few years. Of course, if you're in the market for a tatoo or body piercing, that would be a good area.

I've worked in downtown Dallas for 21+ years, about 4 blocks from the Adolphus (which is a terrific hotel.) I really wouldn't walk around downtown Dallas a night, unless I was in a big group. Although there is quite a bit of residential development going on right now, the streets are still pretty quiet at night.