Search

December in Florida

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 02:02 PM
J

December in Florida

PLEASE send me suggestions for a Florida vacation on a beach in December -- I want out-of-the-way, maybe even eco-based, not too built-up or too touristy, nice sand beach, no nightlife needed or anything fancy, nice hot days, not too great a chance of rain. THANKS!

Old Oct 5th, 2002, 04:23 PM
xxx

Have you looked at Seaside? Florida can get cold (50's) in December.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 04:09 AM
Cindy

How about the Cocoa Beach/Melbourne areas? It might be hard finding a beach area not too commercialized, but sometimes the outskirts of cities are a little more laid-back than the centers of activity.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 04:36 AM
xyz

Two words: Sanibel Island

Out of the way, eco-based (half the island is a preserve), not built up (no traffic lights or billboards allowed), no heavy nightlife, nice beaches with loads of seashells - everything you're asking for. However, I have never been there in December, so can't comment on the weather. Although I think December can be "iffy" anywhere in Florida. Check out www.sanibel-captiva.org.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 04:55 AM
OliveOyl

"Nice hot days" were one J's prerequisites, so that would eliminates Seaside, and the entire panhandle, which will be too cold in December.

All the state is normally dry then. The least built up and touristy area, with virtually no night life might be Gasparilla Island. It meets pretty much all your requirements, but might be expensive.

A little less expensive, more developed, but still lovely, is Captiva Island, just to the south of Gasparilla Island, especially if you choose a place like T'ween Waters, with it's little cottages.

There's another island...Cabbage Key I believe, accessible only by boat, with only one place to stay out there. Can't get much more remote and undeveloped than that!

Had you not said you wanted a nice sand beach, I'd have said the keys, but that knocks them out of the running. You can have everything you asked for there except the nice sand beach.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 05:11 AM
Mickey

You can consider the Keys but really only the upper half which has some lovely resorts and is not too built up.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 05:26 AM
Debbie

Hi,
I lived in Florida--Tampa and West Palm Beach--for 12 yrs total. Christmas time is not the best part of the year if you are looking for hot weather. My rels came to visit several Decembers and were disappointed that it was too cold to swim. More than once, it wasn't even shorts weather! (Some of my family is from Alberta, Canada--they'll swim when the rest of us are wearing sweats and they complained about the cold at that time of year!) They finally started coming down in March/April and were sooo much happier!

Debbie

PS If you do come to Florida in Dec., you'll be paying top dollar. It's high season from Nov-April. Sanibel is still a special place b/c it's not too built up. Don't even consider the Panhandle beaches--though they are pretty, it's way too chilly.

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 08:22 AM
aaaaaaaa

best chance for sunny weather is the Keys-eaches aren't the best-Try Islamorada

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 10:29 AM
nonono

Sunny weather is everywhere in FL in December. The only question, is it as warm as J wants it? Any location can have a cold snap, the further south, the less likely those odds, but even St Pete/Clearwater is normally warm!

Old Oct 6th, 2002, 02:03 PM
LilMsFoodie

I live in the Sanibel area. Weather is seldom wet in December, cool nights and often warm days. Will get in the 80's but the gulf has cooled by then. We occasionally get a cold front. Gasparilla Island is lovely, no hotels to speak of other than the Gasparilla Inn. Very preppy place...the town is Boca Grande. Dinner at the Pink (Pink Elephant ) is nice. Bring money.

Old Oct 11th, 2002, 08:16 PM
Jess

I've lived in South Florida for over 29 years and must say that every year that goes by we have less and less winter (if that's what you want to call it here). I personally say that only one season exists in South Florida - summer. There have been very rainy Novembers and then very dry November - so rain is unpredictable. The Keys are not for swimming. Snorkeling and Diving yes - taking a guided tour - but not for swimming. I know that Pompano Beach has some really nice hotels in really quiet areas and the beaches are wonderful. The water tends to be chilly at that time of year though - believe it! But, that's my opinion since I do not like swimming in cold water - some people like cold water.