December Beach Holiday Advice

Oct 1st, 2007, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

December Beach Holiday Advice

Hello all,
We are looking for a 4 day/3 night getaway in December as a last trip before our baby is born. We thought about a cruise but found out I will be too far along to go. We are having a lot of trouble deciding where to go. We want a nicer resort so we can be a bit pampered and can only go before Christmas in December. I want a beach, outdoor activities and one or two day trip options. We've thought of Florida - Ritz Carlton Key Biscayne, Miami or Amelia Island - or California - LaJolla/So. California - but don't know what is best. Are December temperatures in South Florida warm enough for swimming(average 75)? I realize Amelia Island and California will be cooler and probably just good beach walking, but perhaps that would be great too.

The problem is we're coming from Denver and airfare is very high to both coasts that time of year. We're not used to traveling during peak time. I'm from California and know a bit more what to expect, while we've never stayed at a Florida resort.

We're trying to decide if we should spend a little more for warmer temps and (possible) swimming/sunning, or if we just want to enjoy beach walking and day trips, which we could do a little closer to home. My husband has mentioned Mexico but I don't know how comfortable I feel going there being pregnant.

What do you all think? Any resort recommendations that seem to fit what we'd like? Thank you!
Oct 1st, 2007, 11:25 AM
GoTravel

If you are coming from Denver, wouldn't it be quicker to hit one of the Mexican Pacific Coasts or Hawaii? I mean shorter plane ride?

South Florida can have chilly snaps in December.

If I had to pick one, my top pick would be the Ritz-Carlton Key Biscayne. It is Gorgious!

Also, look at the Fisher Island Club.

Oct 1st, 2007, 12:13 PM
Ag3046

You don't mention how far along you will be. If you are too far along in pregnancy for a cruise, I assume you will also be excluded from flying.

I would not go to Mexico.

Oct 1st, 2007, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I will have just started my third trimester and while the doctor said flying is fine for several more weeks, the cruise line won't let anyone in their third trimester cruise. Hawaii is still too far (and expensive) for us for such a short trip, unfortunately. I will check out your suggestions. Thanks!
Oct 2nd, 2007, 07:36 AM

What are you planning to spend for the three nights and four days... Exclude the airfare as you are the only ones who will know what deal you will get.