Death Valley Questions

Search

Death Valley Questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death Valley Questions

We are planning a multi-generational trip (ages 23 to 85) to Death Valley from December 26 through 29. Most of us can handle easy to moderate hikes, but my father-in-law can only walk up to about a mile, and only on pretty much flat surfaces. But he is happy to relax or rest while we do things he can't do.

We will be driving in Saturday from Las Vegas, staying at Furnace Creek Ranch for 3 nights, and driving back to Las Vegas on Tuesday. So we will be in DV for part of 2 days plus 2 full days. We will be in a minivan with no particular clearance or 4-wheel drive.

As usual, the Fodors board has a tremendous amount of very useful information that I have been reading through. I have some additional questions specific to our situation:

1. With this amount of time in DV, do you think it's worthwhile to drive up to Scotty's Castle (in which case we would also at least drive to Ubehebe Crater, and might take the hike if my father-in-law wants to stay back at the Scotty's Castle restaurant)?

2. If we do decide to go to Scotty's Castle, what time do you think we have to be there by to get tour tickets that won't require a long wait? I have heard that it's important to be there first thing in the morning. Does that mean 9 AM when the first tour starts, earlier than that, or what? It would be ideal to be at a nice place for sunrise (about 650 AM) and still have time to drive to Scotty's Castle in time to avoid a long wait for a tour.

3. If we decided to make Scotty's Castle our first stop in the park on 12/26, let's say arriving there at 11 AM or so from Las Vegas, do you think we would still be able to get tour tickets for a time within the next couple of hours?

4. The National Park Service website says that the most scenic route from Las Vegas to Furnace Creek (3.5 hours, vs. 2 hours via Pahrump and Bell Vista/Stateline Roads), is Route 160, to Old Spanish Trail, to Shoshone, to Furnace Creek via Badwater Rd. (Route 178). Is this route sufficiently scenic to make the extra time justified, assuming that we would come back down to Badwater, Natural Bridge, Devils Golf Course, Artists Drive, and Golden Canyon sometime during our trip regardless of the route we take from Las Vegas?

5. If we decide to go to Scotty's Castle on our last morning in the park and then head back to Las Vegas from there, would you recommend taking 267 to Scotty's Junction, or drive back down towards Stovepipe Wells and take Daylight Pass Road/374 to Beatty with a detour to Rhyolite?

6. Given that we will have 3 evenings and 3 mornings in DV, where would you go for sunrises and sunsets?

7. How important do you think it is to bring a tripod for sunrise and sunset photos, etc.?

8. Assuming that all of us but my father-in-law want to be able to hike the Mosaic Canyon trail and possibly Wildrose Peak, Fall Canyon, and/or Ubehebe Crater, do you think there is any need for hiking boots? Or will sneakers be sufficient?

Thanks very much!

Len
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 03:57 AM

http://explorenevadatours.com/death-...jeeplv-05.tour

Check out this link for tour company that now offers tour to Titus Canyon and Racetrack Playa. Tours can be booked with FC Ranch as well. Titus Canyon was very interesting. I would have loved to have seen the racetrack area. We did do Titus in a high clearance 4 wheel drive vehicle that we rented. Very Good!!

I would certainly see Scotty's Castle. When we were there at the end of Dec 07, they didn't really have a restaurant. They just heated up sandwiches and burritos in the microwave. We ate outside on the picnic tables, just across the parking lot. I would get there as early as possible, although I don't remember it being overly busy. We were there at the same time you will be there and it was somewhat cold in the mornings, but was perfect by mid-day. We started in Vegas and stopped at Red Rock Canyon first and did "childrens trail" there. Not sure why they called it that but it is an interesting trail that leads to a half frozen waterfall. From there we continued on to DV, stopping at Badwater, Devils Golf Course, Artist Drive/Artist Point.
I think your best bet for sunrise and sunset are @ Zabriski Point and Dante's View. We also hiked to Natural Bridge on the way in, and it was pretty nice.

DV is at a low elevation and the weather is about perfect for hiking. Your 85 might be able to go a little ways, just take it as slow as they like. Ubahebe- you can hike around the rim and down to the bottom. We did both. The hike back up is very rough because of the steep angle and the very loose sandy conditions.

We stayed at the ranch, but did eat a very good meal at "the inn". You may want to take your swimsuits and swim at the pool. There is also golf, if that interests you.

We stayed there 2 nights and wished we would have allowed for one more day. We have been doing nothing but National Parks for about 5 years now. We didn't really expect much @ DV and I would say it suprised us by how much we enjoyed it.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 04:02 AM

http://www.photoworks.com/slideshow/...F?source=pw980

Link to our photos of the trip.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 04:10 AM

Your father n law should go ahead and see Ubahebe, he can sit at the top and watch you hike around it or down into it.

You will be fine in tennis shoes. You will get sand in your shoes if you do the Sand Dunes. The dunes are not to be missed in my opinion. Your father n law will actually be able to do a lot(maybe a mile each day). The only bad thing, he might slow everyone else down. It is pretty easy for someone like him to see Badwater, Zabsriski, Devils Golf Course, etc.

Tripod is always nice, but isn't absolutely needed. I didn't take one. You can always find a rock or a car to steady your shot for something like that.

We didn't hike to Darwin Falls, but that is something we had planned to do but ran out of time. Have a great trip!!
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 05:36 AM

You could consider going into DV from the north and exiting from the Parumph end. If you go north on 95 to Beatty then west, stop at Rhyolite (only a few minutes off and less than an hour to see this} then stop at the toilets at the crest of the hill and look down the valley, a spectacular view. You could then head north to Scotty's Castle, and if there is a wait, have lunch. Do the tour, head for Ubehebe, then back to your lodging for supper and a rest. This would make for a full day, but allow you to explore the rest of the valley during the other 2 and a half days.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 08:59 AM

Many questions, a few answers:

- Sunrise and sunset: The sand dunes are absolutely magical at sunset. It is just a short walk from the road into the dunes. For sunrise, Zabriskie Point is one of the best places (and very convenient from Furnace Creek Ranch). No, you do not need a tripod. Death Valley is surprisingly often overcast, so you might need two or three attempts before you get a good sunrise/sunset photo.

- Death Valley does not require much walking or hiking. Many attractions are roadside or accessible by a short walk over wooden boardwalks. BTW, we did Death Valley two years ago with my 83-year old FIL.

- You do not need 4WD. Death Valley has excellent paved roads. Yes, we drove the dirt road through Titus Canyon with a SUV, and, yes, Titus Canyon was fun to drive, but, frankly said, Death Valley's best attractions are easily accessible by paved roads.

>>>The National Park Service website says that the most scenic route from Las Vegas to Furnace Creek (3.5 hours, vs. 2 hours via Pahrump and Bell Vista/Stateline Roads), is Route 160, to Old Spanish Trail, to Shoshone, to Furnace Creek via Badwater Rd. (Route 178). Is this route sufficiently scenic to make the extra time justified, assuming that we would come back down to Badwater, Natural Bridge, Devils Golf Course, Artists Drive, and Golden Canyon sometime during our trip regardless of the route we take from Las Vegas?
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 11:15 AM

Agree with emalloy - enter DVNP via Beaty and visit Ubehebe and Scotty's Castle on the first day. The Furnace Creek Inn does a great Sunday Brunch if you want to splurge on food one day.
If you return to LV by way of Parhump, there is an unusual winery just outside of town. Never been there, but it got a good write up in the LA Times recently.

By all means vist/walk the sand drune. The Wildrose Charcoal Kilns are another interesting place, but given the time limits, probably not worth the drive although it does take you into the mountains aroud the Valley.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for all of the helpful responses!

So you think we would be safe going to Scotty's Castle from Las Vegas via Beatty and Rhyolite, even though we might not be there until midday? Do you iknow whether it's possible to call them in the morning to see how busy they seem to be?

Thanks,

Len
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 01:56 PM

You do realize Wildrose Peak will have some snow (possibly a lot of snow) don't you?

Yes to the tripod unless you're just using a point and shoot. Even then a tripod is handy.

I had the opposite experience of Echnaton and the skies were clear most of the time, which makes for pretty blah sunrise/sunset photos.
Old Dec 14th, 2009, 02:07 PM

We went to Scotty's through Beatty with a stop at Rhyolite a couple of years ago during that time and there was no wait, so I'd go for it. The food there was pretty poor, you might do better packing a lunch.
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again!

One specific question: do we need insect repellent for Death Valley or the Las Vegas area? If so, any particular kind that works best?

Len
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 05:23 PM

I've been there a number of times over the years and never noticed any flying insect pests. Conditions there are not conducive to mosquitos, etc. In fact, you'll wonder how anything grows there.
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 05:25 PM

NO-

I have never needed insect repellent in any season in the desert area, and I can't imagine there being any in the winter. Mosquito like water and vegetation. Good luck at fing either in Death Valley. lol. you will see some around Scotty Castle and Furnace Creek area.

Do realize that it can be in the 20's at night. You may need a somewhat heavier coat, but then again, you may not. Just wanted you to be prepared.
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 05:27 PM

finding*
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 05:30 PM

I never thought about mosquitos there until this question. I bet they couldn't survive on what little water is there because it all has so much salt in it. I do think the spring at Scotty's and the Furnace area is drinkable.