Death Valley Attractions

Search

Death Valley Attractions

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Death Valley Attractions

We're going to Las Vegas in late March and want to visit Death Valley as a side trip.

We would leave LV mid-morning for Death Valley, spend the night and return to LV the next afternoon. We plan to stay at Furnace Creek Inn. Is that enough time to see the area?

What things would you recommend to do/see while there? We are 2 adults/2 older boys (15 and 20). Any gimmacky places to avoid?

(p.s. thanks to another Fodorite who recently gave me the idea of Furnace Creek Inn. I searched for the thread to find your name and cannot locate it. If you know who you are - "thanks"!)
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 05:13 PM

I think that's enough time. Go to DV from LV by way of Parhump and thence into the park. You'll pass some good spots to pull over and enjoy theemptiness of Death Valley.
Furnance Creek Inn is very nice. The vistor's Center is nearby as is the golf course and the Ranch with it's shops. Leaving go by way of Scotty's Castle and see the sand dunes, etc en route.
Should still be nice weather and the wildflower bloom should be good this year, but you might be too late for the best of it.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 05:55 PM

We were there for two nights and it wasn't enough time for us. Death Valley is really big. It would just depend on what you want to see and if you plan on doing any hikes.
Death Valley suprised us more than any other National Park that we have been to(now up to 18 of them). We weren't expecting a lot, but were very suprised by how much we liked it.

We hiked a short distance to the Arch, saw Devils Golf Course, Hiked up into Artist Palete for a short distance. Did Scotty's Castle. If you go as far as Scotty's Castle, you should hike down into Ubahebe Crater. We saw Zabriski Point, but didn't make it to Dante's View. We had meant to hike to the waterfall on the western side, but didn't do that either.

Red Rock Canyon is a good place to spend the day. It is on your way to Death Valley.

By all means, drive Titus Canyon. It is a 26 mile one way road. The first 5 or 6 miles is nothing, but the last 20 is spectacular.

We stayed at Furnace Creek Ranch. We ate at the Inn one night, super good. Furnace Inn is deluxe for National Park standards. Both places have thermal heated swimming pools.

I would add another night and take away a night from Vegas.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 06:24 PM

We've stayed at Furnace Creek Inn several times and absolutely love it. It's my favorite place to stay in all the National Parks that I've been to.

You don't really have a lot of time to see the Park and I wouldn't rush it. You will want to spend some of that first afternoon just lounging around the pool at the Inn. The pool is filled with naturally heated spring water and the setting is classic. Oh, and if you play tennis, take advantage of the great lighted courts.

Try to get as early a start out of Vegas as possible. There's a lot to see in DV. Stop at Zabriskie Point on your way in and enjoy the view. You can always return again later or the next morning if you want to get better light for photos.

On that first afternoon, after visiting the Visitor Center, I would recommend driving down to Badwater and maybe doing the Artist's Drive if you have time. Then relax at the pool and explore the Ranch (where the shops are) in the evening before dinner.

The next day, enjoy the pool again in the morning and have breakfast at the Inn. Then, head up to the Sand Dunes and spend some time walking around. Try to get as far from the road as you can.

Later, drive up to Mosaic Canyon above Stovepipe Wells and take a short hike up the wash until the canyon narrows. From there it's just a 15 minute or so walk up this impossibly narrow channel until the wash widens again. Here, you could continue your walk to the Upper Canyon or return to your car.

Finally, you should head out over Daylight Pass to Beatty and then speed your way back to Vegas. Just before Beatty, take a few minutes to detour to Rhyolite - an interesting old ghost town.

I would skip Scotty's Castle on this trip. You need to be up there first thing in the morning for the tour or you will have to wait a long time. Since you are staying at the Inn, you are better off enjoying yourselves there instead of rushing off for the long drive up to Scotty's. Save it for your next trip.

Note - Just saw spiro's post. It was added while I was composing this one. I agree that if you can add a day or two, that would be best. Also, I would not do Titus canyon with your current schedule. If you had more time and rented a decent vehicle for the dirt road, then you could do it. It's a great drive but save it for another visit.
Old Feb 10th, 2009, 07:17 PM

I visit Death Valley NP every year and every time regret I can't stay longer. I'll be there in March again for a whole week. If you have limited time you can have a great visit too. Last spring wildflowers were magnificent so who knows what this year is going to bring. Spring 2009 was the first time we saw and photgraph such gorgeous wildflowers. Without fields of blooming wildflowers Death Valley is still amazing national park to visit.

Like spirobulldog, when we went first time we too weren't expecting a lot and at that time I never thought this park would become one of those places where I'll be returning every year and never get tired of it. There is always something new to see, discover, new trails to hike, new canyons to visit. I don't think you'll have time to drive through Titus Canyon but if you decide then you'll need a high clearance vehicle or at least SUV. I get more joy from hiking early morning from the south side of Titus Canyon through the Narrows than from driving. I can give you some ideas how to arrange your itinerary if you still want an additional input.

Keep in mind many roads in the park are closed right now because of floods so check with park rangers at the visitor center which roads are accessible by the time you get there in March and check the morning Report on the park‘s website www.nps.gov/deva

Current Road Conditions: Watch for mud and debris on all open roadways
Dante’s View Rd ………….OPEN: Watch for mud and debris
Emigrant Cyn / Wildrose Rd CLOSED; due to snow and flooding.
Hunter Mountain Rd..........CLOSED; due to snow and ice.
Keane Wonder Rd............CLOSED; road and mining area closed to all entry due to mine-safety hazards.
Mosaic Canyon.................CLOSED due to flood damage
Racetrack Road................No access, Ubehebe Crater Rd. is closed; Racetrack is flooded. Do not walk on the playa when it is wet.
Saline Valley - N Pass.......CLOSED; due to deep snow and ice.
Saline Valley - S Pass........CLOSED by Inyo County. Impassable due to deep snow and ice.
Salt Creek ........................ CLOSED; due to mud
Scotty’s Castle Rd ...........CLOSED; Scotty’s Castle remains open via Nevada Highways 95 and 267.
Titus Canyon Rd...............CLOSED; due to snow and flooding.
20-Mule Team.................. CLOSED; due to mud
Ubehebe Crater Road.......CLOSED; due to mud and flooding.

Be prepared to see many people in places like Golden Canyon, Badwater, Devils Golf Course, Sand Dunes, Scotty's Castle. Go to visitor center and look at at the exhibit, pay your dues, watch the movie and talk to park rangers. They have evening programs on geology, wildflowers, history, people, etc., My husband enjoys playing golf on a very green well maintain course which is 214 feet below sea level while I hiked Gower Gulch. If your sons and you would like to hike there are some fantastic trails all around the park. Some are short walks, some are long and very challenging. I never hiked to the top of Telescope Peak (11,049 feet and 14 mile round trip). There is always too much snow and ice in March.

If you are staying at the inn take some time to enjoy the gardens. Besides Furnace Creek Inn there are cabins and very decent rooms in a motel at Furnace Creek Ranch and very nice simple accommodations at Stovepipe Wells which is more quiet and next to Sand Dunes. All three places have swimming pools. Most of rooms in all three places have small refrigerators. Get a gas and any fruit, snacks or whatever you need in Pahrump. The least expensive gas in the park is always at Stovepipe Wells. Too bad you are spending only one night but it is definitely better than not seeing Death Valley NP at all.

Old Feb 11th, 2009, 02:06 AM

You will enjoy Furnace Creek Inn. The gardens are incredible and the well-heated pool is spectacular. Have some rattlesnake sausage for dinner and/or breakfast.

What to see (in limited time):

- In any case, Zabriskie Point, especially at sunrise (it is just five minutes driving from the Inn.)

- Take the road southwards to Devil's Golfcourse and Badwater. On the way back do the Artist's Drive.

- North of Furnace Creek, stop at Salt Creek and watch the pupfish. It should be the time when they are defending their territories and are mating.

- Walk over the sand dunes near Stovepipe Wells. Most impressive late afternoon and early morning.

These are in my personal view the highlights and the "musts". Titus Canyon takes some time, and we did not find it too spectacular. Do it if you have more time.

- For a contrast, you may drive up to Wildrose Peak - you will meat snow there. But only if there is time left.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Great information. Thanks for all the replies so far. I will look into extending our stay for another day as I wasn't sure there would be enough to do, but it looks like there is.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 08:22 AM

You've received some great advice here. We absolutely love Death Valley. Driving into the park is spectacular , so the whole time will be well spent.

Enjoy.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 08:46 AM

Once when we were going, the road through Parhump was washed out so we went north on 95 to Beatty and then west with a stop at Rhyolite and down into the valley. The views down the valley are spectacular going in this way. There is a pull off with pottys on the road. Now we use this way most of the time and the traffic seems to be a bit easier to get through.
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 06:43 PM

I spent two nights (one plus days) and felt that there was plenty to do.
If you're so inclined, there are hikes short or long.
While the lower elevations are warm, it may be bitterly cold higher up. For example, when I went to Dante's View (and Dante's Peak) in April 2006, it was windy and temperatures were only a little above freezing.

For more details and some pictures, see http://home.comcast.net/%7Elgott3141...andMojave.html

(You may have to type in the above link, or highlight the second portion)
Old Feb 11th, 2009, 10:31 PM

I live in Vegas and Death Valley is one of my favorite places. The first time I saw it I was so surprised. It was nothing like I expected and I have been back there several times. I want to see it in the Spring this year because I've read that the flowers should be gorgeous because of all the rain/snow we've had. Good advice in the previous posting about checking the roads - we had alot of rain/snow this week and many of the roads have been closed. I would skip Scotty's Castle. I felt that it is overrated and not worth the extra drive. Make sure to drive up to Dante's Peak at sunset - gorgeous view of the mountains and the valley. I ate dinner (steak) at Furnace Creek and it was very good. I didn't hike anywhere and saw what I wanted to in one day if you are short on time. Enjoy your trip.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 04:59 PM

There is no way I would try to do Death Valley in a day. And I found Scotty's Castle to be very interesting and I am glad I went.

Blondie, you might want to go back as you truly missed a lot.

I see that you flew through Monument Valley, Canyonlands, Arches, Cap Reef, and Bryce- all of this in two day on another post. I guess this might be ok for a rare few, but if you went back and did some hiking, you would change your tune on suggesting to people to see everything in such a hurry.

This would be like going to Disneyworld, riding one ride and then heading home.
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 06:57 PM

As you can tell from the responses so far, there is so much to see in Death Valley! We usually spend 5 nights there; when my husband goes with his buddies, they spend 10 nights!

Furnace Creek Inn is just a short hop from the VISITOR'S CENTER. I would head there first just to get oriented. The rangers are very helpful with suggestions considering your time and activity level.
Then do see some of the sites that are nearby and easy:
- See the Borax Works and drive through MUSTARD CANYON- if the wildflowers are in bloom, this short drive will help you begin to appreciate the delicate yet hearty nature of the desert.
- Drive a little further to SALT CREEK to see the PUPFISH. This is a short but fascinating walk on a boardwalk to prevent damage to their ecosystem while you observe these miraculous fish.
- ZABRISKIE POINT is a short drive from the inn in the opposite direction. At dusk this is still a spectacular sight.

*** In fact, one of the amazing things about Death Valley is that it is like looking at a different set of paintings depending on the time of day and the position of the sun. We like to visit some of our favorite locations at various times of day just to enjoy these differences.

- TWENTY MULE TEAM CANYON is one of my favorite drives and I insist on doing this one once in the daytime and then every night after dark. I love it! Stop for a few minutes and turn off your headlights just to see the ominous moon-like nightscape. It also is not far from the INN.

- A wonderful hike starts in GOLDEN CANYON (most enjoyable in the early morning) and then climbs to the right under MANLY BEACON and down GOWER GULCH. The trail will take you back to the Golden Canyon parking lot. Allow 2 or 3 hours (if you are a slow hiker like me) and take a lunch - but be sure to carry water at all times! I love this hike - it is like hiking on the moon!

- Also I think you would enjoy going to BADWATER - the lowest elevation, below sea level.

OK, there is so so much more. I love it ALL. These things you can easily do in a short trip and add more if you add more time there. The SAND DUNES are a must if you have time. MOSAIC CANYON is near them. Once you get your Visitor's Guide, you will get an idea how much there is too see.

Also - consider a horseback ride. I've only done the one through the salt pan, but this ride gives you a point of view you won't get from the road. The horses are at Furnace Creek Ranch, in the back.

I'd recommend spending 2 nights in Death Valley if you can.
P.S. I may have been the one who mentioned Furnace Creek Inn on another post. I hope you enjoy this adventure. We have been many times and never tire of it. Please report back after your trip and let us know about your experiences!
Old Feb 12th, 2009, 07:06 PM

Another recommendation to enhance your trip: If you don't know already, learn what an ALLUVIAL FAN is. Just this simple geological awareness will allow you to instantly spot them and learn so much about Death Valley.

Also, look for various animal in the area: wild horses, mules, coyotes, etc.

Walk through the date orchard at Furnace creek.

Put your hand in the little creek to realize why it is called Furnace Creek.

Enjoy some of the delicious date bread baked daily at the Inn.
Old Mar 21st, 2009, 10:42 PM

ttt
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 10:02 AM

Another vote for Scotty's Castle - fun architecture, excellent guide, and the green is nice after a couple of days in the desert (which I love!).