Search

Death Valley

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 01:37 PM
Linda

Death Valley

I have been warned many times not to go through Death Valley in August. We would be coming from Yosemite. I was wondering if there is anything much to see by just driving a little way in from the Nevada side on the way to Las Vegas? I was thinking we might just drive in around 20 miles to take a look and turn around. Anyone have an opinion on this idea? Thanks

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 03:21 PM
Thyra

You can see just the entrance to Death Valley by travelling the 15 Fwy by a little town called Needles... I believe, or possibly Baker.. home of the Bun Boy and the worlds biggest thermometer! It's not too far from Vegas, and you can see the entrance.. if you are like us, just the 120 degree temperatures will keep you from wanting to see more.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 03:50 PM
Nance

I suggest going as far as Zabrinski Point then decide whether to go on into the Valley. It won't be much hotter, if at all, than the drive from Nevada in the desert and you would miss a beautiful valley. (This would be entering from the south). Once you are this close, go for it!

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 04:46 PM
rqf

If you are going to exit Yosemite by going over Tioga Pass you might consider the following. Leave Yosemite in the early afternoon and drive to Lone Pine. Overnight in Lone Pine. The following day get an early start and head for Panammint Springs (50 miles) where you would enter Death Valley NP. If you left around 7am you would be in Panamint Springs in less than an hour and one half. The drive through the park is 40 miles or so and you would be out of Death Valley by 10 am avoiding the warmest part of the day. YOu might even be able to make a brief stop or two to enjoy the beauty of Death Valley before it gets too hot.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 07:48 PM
JohnC

The route suggested above is good advice (entering from Lone Pine and exit toward Nevada). But make a few stops. The heat won't kill you. I assume you'll have an airconditioned car, and if you carry water and fill up the gas tank at every opportunity you'll be fine. The stark beauty of Death Valley is something to experience, and even the temperatures will add to the memories. A couple of years ago we went from camping in the Toulumne Meadows (the high part of Yosemite Park) where morning temps (in August) were in the 20s, to a couple of days in a motel in Death Valley, where it hit 117 one day. Walk out onto the salt playa at Badwater, more than 200 feet below sea level, and feel the heat radiating from the earth (almost solid salt), even more intense than the sun. Unforgettable.

Old Jul 5th, 2001, 10:24 PM
xxx

125 degrees in Death Valley yesterday and it tends to be even hotter in the desert in August. Not sure humans should really subject themselves to these temperatures.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 08:21 AM
Joan

125 degrees is for wussies.
Some of us can tolerate a lot more than that.

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 08:12 PM
Linda

I just wanted to thank everyone who replied to my message. I think we are going to overnight in Bishop and if the weather permits, get up early and drive through the valley. I really want to experience it and would much rather do that than what appears to be a very boring drive through Tonopah. If it is too bad, we can still go the other way. Can you drive on hard roads all the way to Dantes Peak?

Old Jul 10th, 2001, 06:12 AM
Wayne

We just went through Death Valley June 12th. As long as you get an early start in the morning about 7 am there should be no problems. I stayed in Lone Pine not many hotels. The best Western was our chose. Clean about $65.00. Great place for pizza on the main drag. Quite remember the name. We were heading towards Las Vegas and had the same thoughts about going through the valley. Thers a couple of stops for gas ect.. along the way About a 2 - 2 1/2 hrs across We took a side trip to Bad Water 200 feet below sea level and just about 7-10 miles off the main road. We enjoyed the drive lots of just desert, actually divr through some moutain areas. nice scenery. Try it But I think early moring is best.