Dealing with Altitude

Search

Dealing with Altitude

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2021, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealing with Altitude

We will be flying from Florida (living at 13' above sea level) to Phoenix, where we will stay for a bit over 48 hours, then drive to Flagstaff where it is 7,000' above sea level.
What is the opinion on the efficacy of canned oxygen (specifically Boost) to combat any altitude sickness? I would prefer to hear from those who have actually used it, not just an opinion.
My husband and I are both on blood pressure medicine. I do know that hydration is key, and that staying away from caffeine and alcohol is recommended.
Thanks!
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 04:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Everybody reacts to high altitude conditions differently.

I've never used the canned oxygen, but I find driving to a high elevation destination is better than flying in. I also live at sea level, and we drive to Vail, Colorado, every year to ski. Vail is at 8000'. My husband takes BP medication and has no problems with the altitude at all. I don't take any meds and have a terrible time sleeping but that could be the effect of low humidity in winter as much as the altitude. I don't avoid alcohol or caffeine but don't consume much of either anyway. I do try to drink a LOT of water.
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Jean,
Thank you so much! I did think that the ascent (especially if we stop along the way) is better than just landing in a vastly different elevation.
Old Apr 14th, 2021, 10:57 AM

There are a lot of myths and folk lore surrounding altitude sickness. The science knows what it is but want can trigger it is more of a mystery. You can go to altitude four or five times and be perfectly fine but the sixth time you are sick as a dog. Why ???? It is probably with oxygen deliver to your body. Those of us who live at altitude have about 20 % or more red cells than those at sea level. You adjust about a 1000 feet per day and, of course, drinking lots of water assists in the making of additional red blood cells. I am sure that supplemental oxygen would be helpful but at low levels and continuous. I don't know how Booster works. It also would more helpful at night when your breathing is more shallow. A friend of uses tank oxygen at night when he is here. He is OK in the day time but night is problem for him. He also has a little finger thing that monitors his oxygen levels. You might try that during the day to see you need additional oxygen. Altitude sickness can be a serious problem should not be taken lightly especially with other medical problems.
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 05:05 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
"Little finger thing" = pulse oximeter. Available at pharmacies and even through Amazon.
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 05:18 AM

Can't comment about auxiliary oxygen even though stipulated but I second what fmpden says about sometimes it will hit you and sometimes not. I don't ever remember being sick sick when going to the mountains to ski. But on numerous visits to Denver to stay with kids I have either been just fine or have something resembling the flu with headache and nausea. And you just never know IME.

And I think the sleep problems I may have had had more to do with the time change than altitude--just my opinion on that.

Last edited by Gretchen; Apr 15th, 2021 at 05:20 AM.
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 07:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
You got me curious about Boost O2, so I looked it up and found this pretty quickly:
https://www.tythehunter.com/blog/doe...itude-sickness

It makes sense that it would relieve the symptoms of altitude illness. Note that it's not a cure, for that you have to either acclimatize or go down to lower elevation. (In severe cases the only option is to go down.) Most people have only minor issues at 7,000', but as noted it's unpredictable. Staying hydrated and slowing down physical activity help. Good luck.
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 10:33 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
There are some interesting sites to stop at along I-17. One of my favorites is Montezuma's Castle.

https://www.nps.gov/moca/index.htm

Also, be sure to stop at the Rock Springs Cafe for pie, (or lunch and pie!) and something to drink.

https://rocksprings.cafe/
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 09:02 AM

I live at sea level and would never give it a thought to go to 7000 ft. I do it a couple times each winter when I go skiing (except this year when I couldn't fly out West, or didn't want to). I've never had altitude sickness even going to Breckenridge and that's a lot higher, and I don't spend days acclimating at lower levels. And I'm on HB meds, also. And I drink wine, even when there.

If you know you have problems with it, that's a problem,, but I wouldn't presume it's a given at only 7000 feet. I've read altitude sickness should only be a problem over 8000 ft,

I would not buy cans of air myself, but if you do that, please consider the environmental impact of cans. I have not read any professional source with expertise on altitude sickness or in a peer-review journal who suggest that as a preventive. They usually suggest the acclimatization, hydration and exercising. I think the idea about alcohol is that it is a depressant so can lesson your body's reaction, and that would be true of antidepressant drugs, also. More than mild symptoms should not be ignored as fluid bulldup in severe cases is dangerous.

I don't think there is any professional advice to avoid caffeine, never heard of that. If you stay hydrated, caffeine in and of itself should be a problem.

here's a good article
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowb...titude-illness
Old Apr 18th, 2021, 04:58 PM

I have not used oxygen, but I did that trip in December- from Phoenix to Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon. None of our group had any problem. How long are you going to be there? When I was in Peru, at Macchu Picchu, the altitude didn't bother me until the 3rd day. Then I had a headache and fatigue. I think it takes some time for the lack of oxygen to affect you.