Search

DC Trip Questions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DC Trip Questions

Hi!

I'm planning my trip to DC and have a few questions. I'll only have a day and a half in DC, and 1 evening, and will be in Alexandria for 2 days for a conference. I already know I'll have to come back to DC as there's so much to do. On this trip, I'd like to see the monuments and Smithsonians from outside, and explore Georgetown. Perhaps go to dinner in Adams Morgan one night. Questions are:

1) How is the Old Trolley Tour? Is it recommended? Or would the Circulator be better?

2) Just for a baseline, how long of a walk is it from the east end to the west end of The mall? Just wondering how much time to allot for this. Will just be stopping and looking from outside.....this is a whirlwind trip. I'm a fast walker...live in NYC!

3) Is it possible to buy a day or 3-day pass for the Circulator on board or do I need to buy it ahead of time?

4) Has anybody tried the free Walking Downtown DC tours? Are these any good or recommended? Or is it better I do it on my own. I was considering either the Capitol or Georgetown one.

5) Lastly, how frequent is the Metrorail in general? Is it similar to the NYC subways?

Cheers,

gtrekker2003
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 11:36 AM

Re: Question 5--The travel times on the Metro depend on location and time of day. You can use the following link to plan your trips on the Metro:
http://www.wmata.com/tripplanner_d/t..._form_solo.cfm
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 11:48 AM

Re: Old Town Trolley Tour

I have taken this tour in other places but not in DC. All have been excellent. Not knowing if you are familiar with their program, I will tell you that they generally allow you to take one loop of the area they cover; get off and on wherever you like; but once you get back to your starting point, your tour is over.

I like the DC Tourmobile. It provides a circular tour with unlimited stops and reboarding as long until your ticket time expires. Go around as many times as you wish. The advantage is that you can make the loop and see 'everything' then go back to the ones for which you want more than a 'look/see.'

Google DC Tourmobile. I think a one day ticket is aout $25.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 02:39 PM

As a local, i prefer the Park Service Tourmoblie because it is more "authentic" and is paid for by our tax dollars. The advantage of the Old Trolley Train is that it goes beyond 'the Mall," but I still like the Tourmobile better.

The Circulator is fine, but it is less convenient than the above two. But it is much cheaper. The Circulator is not designed as a "tour bus" but instead is for commuters as well as locals.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 11:18 PM

Hi gtrekker2003, we just returned from our first trip to DC. I'll be putting together my trip report soon. With the short amount of time you have, I would suggest that you see the monuments, and spend 1/2 day inside of one Smithsonian museum of your choice.

What you would enjoy the most is a personal preference. But personally I thought that a stroll around the monuments was far more beautiful and inspiring than a stroll around the Mall/Smithsonians from the outside.

Seeing the Capital building and the White House from the outside are also exciting for the first time.

What month are you going? Our trip was in September and oddly enough we never saw the Circulator. We even asked about it in the Smithsonian Castle Information center, and a kindly but confused lady assured us it was there but didn't seem to know much about it. We ended up taking the Metro everywhere, and walking.

Here are my 2 best pieces of advice:

--wear comfortable walking shoes

--everything will taken longer than you planned, and therefore you won't be able to do as much as you think.

--the musuems are so detailed they tend to suck you in, and they won't let you go...it's hard to leave once you enter!

Enjoy your visit to Washington DC and Alexandria!
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 07:41 AM
Sallygirl42

I agree with the above poster who said everything takes longer than you think. I've lived in DC for over two years and sometimes it still takes me awhile to get to a place I've been several times before.

The Mall is big but you could easily walk it (if you're a fast walker) in 30-45 minutes, I think. Try to avoid being on the Mall after dark - there have been many instances of muggings of tourists.

The thing about bus passes - there is no combo Metrorail/Metrobus pass to my knowledge. So if you buy a one-day regional bus pass ($3 http://www.wmata.com/riding/passes.cfm) you wouldn't also be able to use it on the subway. The Circulator only costs $1 each way, so if you think you will use it 3+ times it makes sense to buy a bus pass, which you can do (I think) at any Metro station from the machines.

Metrorail is pretty frequent, with some lines having trains come more frequently than others and during different times of day too. During "peak" hours - morning and rush hour - trains might come once every minute or two, but during the day, like at 2 pm, you might have to wait 8-10 minutes. Some of the more frequently used stations (i.e. Gallery Place, Metro Center) have light boards right outside the entrance to the station or before you go through the turnstiles that will tell you how many minutes until the next train. Always a good thing to check before you go through the turnstile if you are a pressed for time, because once you go through, you can't get your fare refunded if you change your mind.

Finally, I would recommend that you do not eat in Adams Morgan for dinner. There are much better places in Georgetown, or even along Pennsylvania Avenue closer to the Mall (Jaleo, Oyamel, Rasika, Bistro Bis, Chef Geoff's, Central, all come to mind immediately). Adams Morgan is not convenient to get to by Metro - don't let the subway station title fool you, it's still a good 15-20 minute walk to actual Adams Morgan - and the good dining options are scarce. It is mostly an area for bars. Woodley Park is the area surrounding that metro station and it does have plentiful, walkable restaurants, with a heavy emphasis on ethnic food, like Lebanese Taverna, Mama Ayesha, Sake, Open City, and many others.

If you have time in Alexandria, I definitely recommend a stroll around Old Town - lots of quaint shops and good eating.

Old Sep 18th, 2007, 07:47 AM

The one advantage to Adams Morgan is that you actually get into a part of the city where non-tourists actually go. It is surrounded by a residential neighborhood, so you get to see "the real DC" as opposed to tourist DC. That said, it is not the dining destination it once was and is not super convenient (although a lovely stroll on a nice night).
Old Sep 18th, 2007, 08:08 AM

From the Capitol steps to the Lincoln Memorial, the Mall runs 1.9 miles (3.0 km).

The monuments are beautiful after dark, particularly the Korean War Memorial. Will you have someone to walk around with?
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 10:06 AM

1. Don't know. I have never done any of the tour buses.

2. It's a hike from one end of the Mall to the other, around 2 miles as VJPB points out. It's really longer than that if you detour to FDR and Jefferson (which I highly recommend). My favorite one-way Mall walk is to get off the Blue line at Arlington Cemetery, cross Memorial Bridge, Visit Lincoln, Korea, and Vietnam, walk over to FDR and Jefferson, come back over to WWII and the Washington Monument, and then up the center to the Capitol. You can also catch a glimpse of the White House if you detour over to the left at the Monument. All this, taking stops to experience the monuments and walking briskly in between, takes about 3 hours.

3. The Circulator is $1/ride. I don't know if you can buy a pass as you can for Metrorail. Metro's website is http://www.wmata.com.

4. I haven't tried those tours, though I keep meaning to.

5. Metro is nowhere near as frequent as NYC subways, alas, especially at night. During rush hour (depending on the line) it's about 4 minutes between trains, days and evenings about 6, and nights up to 18. Before 9:30 pm or so the wait will generally be pretty reasonable. Later at night, though...ugh.

Unless you have a particular interest in Adams Morgan, I'd agree you can do better for dinner. If you're here for a weeknight AM will be much more enjoyable; if it's a weekend you really probably won't enjoy yourself. Bourbon and The Reef are popular with AM locals. Cleveland and Woodley have great restaurants easy walks from metro. U St has fantastic Ethiopian and some "fine dining" type places. Tabaq on U St has better views than food and the attitude is ridiculous (they think they're in NYC), but the 360 view from the glass walled upper story is one of the best in DC. Logan Circle is not super-metro accessible but has become quite the dining and social scene (Viridian, Merkado, Logan Tavern, Rice, to name a few).
Old Sep 19th, 2007, 04:14 PM

I'll take a shot ...
1) How is the Old Trolley Tour? Is it recommended? Or would the Circulator be better?

Two very different things. If you want self-guided, then the Circulator will get you a lot of place -- but not into the neighborhoods. We've put visitors on the Tourmobile and they like it a lot -- it gives you a good look at the Mall/monument highlights. It's a good option to get bearings and a sense of scale. Plus there's good on/off access. It doesn't hit as many 'hoods as the Trolley, however.

2) Just for a baseline, how long of a walk is it from the east end to the west end of The mall? Just wondering how much time to allot for this. Will just be stopping and looking from outside.....this is a whirlwind trip. I'm a fast walker...live in NYC!

The 2-mile estimate is about right but side trips will add quite a bit.

3) Is it possible to buy a day or 3-day pass for the Circulator on board or do I need to buy it ahead of time?

You can get one-day passes at meters along the route.
http://www.dccirculator.com/ticket.html

4) Has anybody tried the free Walking Downtown DC tours? Are these any good or recommended? Or is it better I do it on my own. I was considering either the Capitol or Georgetown one.

Sorry. Haven't done one. I think the Capital area is more interesting, but not being a big shopper ...

Plus the Library of Congress is a tremendous building on the Hill.

5) Lastly, how frequent is the Metrorail in general? Is it similar to the NYC subways?

The range is every couple minutes during rush house and after 9 or so it can get up to 15-16 minutes. The subway is much cleaner and more comfortable than NYC.

As for a dining area, I favor the Penn Quarter/Chinatown area, which has great access via Metro and a tremendous variety of interesting places.