DC to NYC by bus? train?

Search

DC to NYC by bus? train?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21st, 2008, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DC to NYC by bus? train?

I am thinking of flying into DC, visiting for a few days, then somehow getting to NYC for another few days' visit and flying home from there. Can someone give me a quick primer on transportation options between the two cities?
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 07:49 PM

There are the Chinatown busses <http://www.chinatown-bus.org/>. I have never used them but know they are very reasonable.
Old Dec 21st, 2008, 08:35 PM

There are much safer and better buses than the scary Chinatown buses. Bolt and Megabus are the newest and cheapest and much better. There are a number of other options.

The train is going to be much more expensive (at least $60 one way) but quicker--even if you take the slow train--and more comfortable. There are also many more options (at least one an hour).

The bus is cheaper, but slower and less comfortable (you can't walk around and stretch the same way, no food offerings). The risk is you can get caught in traffic and a four hour trip can stretch to five or six. If you have the time, the new Bolt or Megabus options seems like a great deal (and include Wifi).
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 03:42 AM

If punctual arrival is important, I'd recommend the train. In the winter/holiday time, shuttle flights are often delayed and buses too are delayed due to traffic or weather conditions.
I've used the chinatown buses several times and they used to be better than what they are now. The Bolt bus, a subsidiary of Greyhound, is a better option now.
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 04:16 AM

Here are some reviews on various bus cos.
http://www.yelp.com/topic/washington...-starting-at-1

The train service is Amtrak.com (you don't need the most expensive fast train).

Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 04:30 AM

Vamoose is another bus service, although they don't pick up downtown, which may or may not be more convenient depending on where you are staying while in DC.
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 02:38 PM

My daughter lives in DC area (Arlington) and travels regularly to NYC for grad school stuff. She's used Megabus and Vamoose, and says either is fine. When she has the funds, Amtrak is her preferred choice.

As another responder said, Megabus prices are based on demand. First seat on any given bus seems to be $1, and it goes up from there.

She just took a Megabus from Hartford CT to NYC, and connected to a Vamoose bus back to DC (Arlington). Traffic was heavy so bus was a bit late getting to DC -- but the trip cost her $16!
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 03:49 PM

And even prices for Amtrak are based on kind of service (the faster trains cost more) as well as favored departure times. Sometimes there are also Amtrak discounts through AAA and other groups.
Old Dec 28th, 2008, 05:13 PM

Bolt bus was mentioned and is an excellent choice. Tickets and reservations are online, prices are cheap, the buses are comfortable,they run often, and they pick up at metro center. What more can one ask for? Also you can choose drop off in either lower Manhatten or midtown.