Search

dc side trip?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dc side trip?

Going to DC in a couple weeks. Thinking on Monday morning to rent a car at National Airport, drive to Mt. Vernon, up to Alexandria for lunch, then up to C&O park to see the waterfalls from Olmstead Island. And hopefully be back to our hotel in time for dinner. Then we'll be able to drive ourselves back to the airport Tuesday morning to leave to come home. Will this work?
Thanks for any help!
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 04:42 AM

Yes, but:
1) Try to get to Mt. Vernon when they open.
2) Be prepared to pay to park at a garage in Alexandria (BTW, you DO have a reservation, right?)
3) Plan to leave the falls by 3:00-3:30 pm to avoid rush hour traffic.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Bardo, thank you for always answering questions! I assume you mean a reservation for a car...yes. Found a great deal on budget.com. My pick up time is 7am, I don't think it will take too long to get to Mt. Vernon. The falls are worth seeing, right? Or is there something in nature that's better to see?
Thanks again.
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 05:27 PM

I meant a reservation for lunch, actually. Your drive to MV will be quick as you'll be going against traffic. The falls are worth seeing for this part of the country, but nowhere near as good as others in the US. If you're wanting a lttle nature, then by all means go. Another outdoors option is the National Arboretum - if you go, then plan to have a picnic on the riverbank at the bottom of the Asian collection. It's the most tranquil spot inside the beltway and great for watching herons, eagles, etc. http://www.usna.usda.gov/
Old Jun 11th, 2004, 09:52 PM
Original Poster

Lunch reservations? Really?
There are eagles in the city?
Living in So.Cal I've never made a lunch reservation, and I've certainly never seen an eagle! Well, I did once in the mountains out here. Now I don't know...the Arboretum sounded interesting before also. Which should a tourist do? I'll be with my 11 year old daughter. If we do go to the Arboretum is there a place around there to buy a lunch to bring with us?
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 04:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Reservations for lunch in Alexandria? I can't imagine why you'd need to book ahead unless there is a very specific restaurant you don't want to miss. bardo, why do you think they'll need a lunch booking?

There is a Balducci's on south end of Alexandria where you could pick up provisions for a picnic. Bald eagles have made a healthy comeback all along the Potomac River. You might see them at Mt. Vernon as well.
Old Jun 12th, 2004, 05:44 AM

Correction, most places in Alexandria will not need a lunch reservation, but some higher end places (The Magestic Cafe, etc.) will. Don't worry about it, you'll be fine. As for falls vs. arboretum, flip a coin. They are both nice outings. The arboretum, FWIW, is closer and much less crowded. Whichever you do, get picnic provisions in Alexandria BEFROREHAND (you'll see many options) as there is no place to buy picnic stuff once you get to falls/arboretum (although arboretum has an espresso bar/cafe). Of course, you'll have just had lunch anyway! I was thinkng like a bottle of wine/cheese.

Old Jun 12th, 2004, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

That does sound nice, too bad my daughter doesn't drink wine!
OK, I guess we'll have time for everything that day we'll just have to figure out falls or arboretum. Thank you tons.