DC Restaurant for New Boyfriend

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in the DC area and want to find some interesting bars/restaurant to take my sister and her new boyfriend whom we are meeting for the first time. They both live in NYC, are both fairly adventurous and love great drinks and food. We are all in our late 30s.

I would like to go to a couple of GREAT bars for drinks and then to a moderately priced ($75 per couple) restaurant that is FUN and INTERESTING, hopefully in Georgetown.

Any suggestions?
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 10:47 AM

You had it going well until you mentioned G-town, which is not the place for hip, interesting restaurants. The one exception would maybe be Cafe Milano, although I am not sure you could get out for $75 a couple. Also, well, it's G-town which is the anti-hip and interesting.

How about a place in the Penn Quarter like Zola or Zatinaya or Jaleo
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 11:31 AM

You can try Brickskeller, known for having over 1500 beers from all around the world. Can't remember the exact location, but I'm sure someone here knows where it is.

Or you can take them to Madam's Organ in Adams Morgan. Known as "the place where the beautiful come to get ugly", this is a fun dive type of place.

As for restaurants, I'm sure everyone can suggest a bunch, the only one I've stuck with in DC is Dominic's Trattu on Jefferson Pl. (by 18th and M) which has great Italian food, an intimate setting and will definitely be within your budget.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 11:55 AM

I'll let others suggest G'town spots. I, too, tend to avoid Georgetown like the plague. Here are four great places in other areas (all are FUN and INTERESTING):

1) Cafe Saint Ex http://www.saint-ex.com/ the (great) bar is right downstairs from the restaurant. There are also a ton of other great bars right around the corner on U st. (which has a metro station, BTW - parking can be tougher than g'town).

2) Jaleo www.jaleo.com I've been many, many times and never tire of it - great food, great fun. Also close to bars/nightclubs. Wait at the bar - worth the wait.

3) Zaytinya www.zaytinya.com (many like it even more than Jaleo - not me, though it's a close call). Also close to bars/nightclubs. Wait at the bar - also worth the wait.

4) Bistro du Coin 1738 Connecticut Ave
http://www.metroweekly.com/arts_ente...ing.php?ak=422
Fun, fun, fun and GREAT food. Just north of Dupont Circle - so also close to many bars/clubs.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 11:56 AM

Meant to add that Bistro du Coin and Cafe Saint Ex take reservations.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 12:38 PM

Not sure why you want Goergetown, but I like Mendicino Wine Bar and Grill on M. St. Very good, fresh, attractively presented food, and nice wine list, by glass or bottle (they do have a full bar also). You could do $75 per couple if you just each got an entree ($16-$20 apiece for mid-level entrees) and a bottle of mid-level wine, or if you don't drink or just get a glass then you can do more on the appetizer side or dessert. The place is pretty intimate re size, so if you want to be able to talk freely, be sure to reserve a table, and specify not to be seated on the banquette.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 01:37 PM

This post made me think of going to Mendicino this coming weekend, and when I just searched on it, I saw that they have received the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence. I did not know that til now. That's a difficult award to get. I think it's a very unpretentious and friendly kind of place to get such an award. They do have a great wine selection.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

I think my husband thought Georgetown would be good because we could park and walk around to different bars as well as be on the waterfront. Maybe we should forget it if the scene is not so good. We usually do the area near Jaleo and the MCI center and were trying to be different. Oh well.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 02:05 PM

I think you can have a nice time in Goergetown. My office is also by MCI Center/downtown area, and when we go out in DC we also try different areas. Adams Morgan is really a great area for dining and bar hopping, if you haven't tried it. I think it is better than Goergetown. But you can still find places to go in Georgetown that will fit your bill. You might just want to try to avoid the Goergetown U. and GW college-scene hangouts and go to toher places (not that the college scene places don't have their place, I was in college once too, but if you are in your late 30s, it's probably not what you want).
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 02:10 PM

Take them where you took the old boyfriend, and display the new one with pride.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 02:24 PM

Not far from Georgetown is the fine small French restaurant called Le Lavandou. It's well reviewed, and the meal I had there in April was fabulous.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 02:26 PM

The problems with G-town is that there really aren't that many interesting bars there. They tend to lean towards the under 25 college crowd more than anything else.

I think Adams Morgan is a good option, if you are tired of Penn Quarter.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 03:34 PM

Following up on missjana's mention of the Brickskeller, here are my notes:

The Brickskeller
1523 22nd Street, NW
Washington DC

"The Brickskeller Dining House & Down-Home Saloon is a tribute to beer and brewing around the world. This place has an absolutely incredible selection of beer -- 10 pages of names in very small type. Since opening in 1957, the Brickskeller has handled more than 5,000 different labels at one time or another. If you've had a brew anywhere, the chances are better than good that they may have some on hand and ready to serve to you. It's a great, cozy atmosphere and the place can draw a crowd.

The food menu is a selection of mostly burgers and pizzas; simple, but they are well-prepared and filling. Best of all, just everything but the seafood platter and crab cake platter go for under $10, so this place is a bonafide budget place to eat in Washington DC. And while some of the fancy imported beers can top $11.95 a bottle, the vast majority of the list seems to fall into the $5 or less category -- again, a very decent price in the Nation's capital city. Just to be creative, there is a selection of "Beer Tails" -- mixed drinks all made with beer, including such concoctions as "ale punch", "whistle belly vengence", and "skip and go naked".

From Dupont Circle, walk down P Street past the Radisson Barcelo and take a right at the corner.

I heartily second the recommendation of Bistro du Coin and here are my notes on that one:

"Bistrot du Coin features an authentic French atmosphere and a great menu of none-too-high-brow favorites that includes tartines, soups, salads, oysters and a selection of wines. It bills itself as "French, Fun and Friendly" and it lives up to that mantra. If you've spent time in France, it's the kind of place you would expect to bring your dog along to. If you miss the croque monsieur, try the tartine Parisienne -- it will bring you back to Paris.

This place is the real McCoy -- we listened in on a smoke break out back with the French-speaking help and checked out the wonderful array of authentic kitchen utensils. The creme brulee is awesome here, the expresso will make you homesick, the wine goes well and it's a casual and wonderful atmosphere. We see it more as a lunch place than dinner and on nice days, you'll likely find the front opened to the street sounds and fresh air."

That said, there is nothing wrong with taking in dinner here; particularly if you get tired of dressing up and paying a 3-digit dinner bill for a couple. It's unrushed and a great place to hang and converse over a lingering meal. Feel free to speak French with the help, if you care to.

This is a wonderful place for a casual dinner with friends or you can even toddle in yourself and quickly make some new friends at the bar, but don't be surprised if you decide not to leave too quickly as you study brews from around the planet. It's an extra fun place and the staff knows what the hospitality business is all about."
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Everyone. We absolutely love Bistro du Coin and the Brickskellar and that is why we were looking for something different. I think the Mendocino Grill may be the ticket. Actually, we may go to Bistro du Coin first to get in our quota of Belgian beers before we head to dinner!
Old Jun 16th, 2004, 06:18 AM
emd

Tango: If you are heading to Georgetwon, I wonder about a drink at one of the places at Washington Harbor near Georgetown, on the water? I have not been to those places, but have alwasy wanted to try them for a drink with a view.
I think you'll like Mendicino. I've had only good experiences there for both pleasure and business dinners.
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 11:07 AM

I think there are some good places in G-town, too. I went to Smith Point a couple weeks ago and it was outstanding. Also there is a new lounge type place called "Modern" I believe. It might be fun to pop in there for a drink.

I've never quite understood all of the fuss over Cafe Milano. I'd love if someone could explain that to me.

Enjoy!
Old Jun 17th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Doh

Sounds like you're all set (I liked Mendocino when I was there a while back), but if you wanted to go to Adams-Morgan, a great restaurant there is Cashion's Eat Place (might be on the high side of your budget).