DC Parking and Restaurant Tips

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting DC March 21st through the 25th and will be staying at the Wyndahm Washington DC on M St.. I had previously booked the Doubletree on New Hampshire for $190.00 a nite but their policy is to only take 5 people in a suite....although the bedding allows for six?? So I did the Priceline thing and was awarded the Wyndahm for $75.00 per room per nite. We booked two rooms and hope we can get them adjoining.

Since we are giving up the kitchenette, are their any inexpensive restaurants and or delis for lunch or dinner around where we are or on the way to the national mall, or will or options be the fast food thing. We always bring a cooler and stock with milk, juice etc. so we can do breakfast in the room before we start sightseeing. It would be nice to hit a diner or something for a quick breakfast one of the days. Are there grocery stores in the area to stock the cooler and load up on munchies?

It seems as I have read the posts and there may be some concerns about walking in this area after dark roughly 14th and M st. NW....is one direction better to go then another....for instance.....walking west towards 15th st. or south towards the white house. Just what are the concerns that people have?

Finally, valet parking at the hotel for about $30.00 including tax seems to be what they are offering...and from what I can tell...won't be able to accomendate our mini-van with luggage box on top. Any other suggestions, are there public self park garages that allow you to park overnight and up to four days that are reasonable in the area and would fit our vehicle and luggage box without a need to worry about damage or theft?
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 06:42 AM

I have also stayed at the Wyndham Washington via PL. I rented a car parked it overnight once at the hotel -- and TWO nights of garage parking showed up on my bill and were almost impossible to correct. On the weekend, I was able to find on-street parking nearby. On the nights that I didn't have the car, I walked by myself from the Metro to the hotel at night and didn't feel at risk.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 07:07 AM

I stayed last month at Comfort Inn 13th & M. Felt absolutely comfortable about walking down 13th to the MetroCenter subway stop.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 07:15 AM

Parking - Central Parking and Colonial Parking have most of the garages. Do a google search for their websites.

Hotel Location - your hotel location is fine. We live 2 blocks away on 13th and Mass and have lived there for 4 years with no problems. You do need to be aware of yourself if you are out late at night. Muggings are the most common crimes.

Eating inexpensive - on 17th and P street there are a number of inexpensive restaurants..Luna's has breakfast all day. Bua is a good Thai place, there is a mexican placed called Peppers and a number of other places. On 14th street and P there is Hamburger Mary's.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 07:24 AM

You are very close to a huge grocery store (Whole Foods) which is located at 15th & P st., NW. They also have a cafe seating area which is nice and inexpensive.

Some suggested nearby restaurants:

Hamburger Mary's http://www.hamburgermarys.net/dc/

Thai Tanic (14th st. just north of N st.)

Mar De Plata
http://www.digitalcity.com/washingto...sbid=102189107

Logan Tavern
http://www.logantavern.com

Your hotel area is perfectly safe at all hours. The only area that you MIGHT want to avoid traveling solo VERY late at night might be the area that is both east of 13th and north of M st.

Garages within 2 blocks of your hotel:

MCM Parking Co Inc
(202) 296-1458
1101 15th St NW

MCM Parking Co Inc
(202) 463-0199
1156 15th St NW

Central Parking Systems Inc
(202) 293-0707
1100 15th St NW

Quikpark Inc: Garages
(202) 789-2541
1400 L St NW

Metropark
(202) 296-8008
1110 Vermont Ave NW

Apcoa Standard Parking
(202) 728-0957
1 Thomas Cir NW

Diplomat Parking
(202) 347-1588
1199 Vermont Ave NW

Old Mar 10th, 2005, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Wow....thanks you guys are fantastic. Thanks for the info.

I had searched for parking and came up with a couple of those garages too...but it appeared to me that they only offered monthly parking....is this the case....or do they just not advertise daily parking.

To be more specific on restaurant choices.... my kids are picky....so many of the ethnic choices may not work....any good cheap local italian places, sub places....or pizza places.

We call the Whole Foods here..."Whole Paycheck"...anything like a Safeway?

I really do appreciate the info!
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 09:14 AM

You should probably just call the gargages.

The Whole Foods is 3 blocks away from your hotel. The next closest place is a Safeway at 17th & Corcoran St. NW - about 9 blocks away.

You kids will like Hamburger Mary's. They will also like Trio's restaurant at 17th & Q St. (pizza and diner food), California Grill at 1090 Vermont Ave. NW, Luigi's Italian (and great pizza) at 1132 19th St. NW, and Reeves Cafeteria at 1306 G St. NW.

There are also numerous chains like Cosi', Potbelly, Corner Bakery, McDonalds, etc. in the downtown business area just a few blocks south of your hotel. I suggest you walk to the mall (taking different routes) and take note of the many places you'll pass by on your way.
Old Mar 10th, 2005, 10:48 AM

I must be an minority opinion here but I ate at Hamburger Mary's last year and was not at all impressed with the food.