Reload this Page >

DC or Richmond to Blue Ridge Parkway

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 03:21 PM
Sue O.

We were considering a trip flying to DC and then renting a car to go down the Blue Ridge Parkway to Charlotte,NC where my father lives. Going to hike and tour along the way. Now thinking that maybe flying to Richmond would be less complicated, especially with the air situation. Any thoughts on this and can anyone tell me how long the drive from Richmond to the parkway would be and what sights we might take in along the way. Thanks!

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 04:45 PM
steve

In Richmond check out the Edgar Allen Poe Museum and the Civil War Battlefields. One hour away is Charlotesville. Monticello and the University of VA are beautiful in fall. Two hours from Richmond is where 64 meets the Blue Ridge Parkway. There's a very nice Inn style B&B in Waynesboro called the Iris Inn I would highly recommend (703)943-1991. Sorry, but I can't help you on the Southbeound end of the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Enjoy the fall color.

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 06:38 PM
RIC

I'm not sure that flying into RIC is going to be all that much easier. Depending on where you're flying from, it's not really that big an airport and right now, I don't think they are handling anywhere near their normal flight loads.

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 07:36 PM
Boots

Living near Richmond, I would recommend flying down here with one major problem - arriving or leaving from Richmond is usually quite expensive. Most of the folks I know who live right here drive to Raleigh or to BWI or Dulles to fly. From the airport, the Blue Ridge Parkway should be just about 1 and 1/2 hour drive. Charlottesville is a beautiful town - we go there often.

Old Sep 18th, 2001, 11:21 PM
diane

I would recommend following the Blue Ridge as far as Asheville, where you can see the wonderful Biltmore mansion. If you like American literature you might also want to visit Thomas Wolfe's home and buriel place. Wolfe wrote Look Homeward Angel. After Asheville, the BR Parkway veers even more to the west, though it gets prettier and more wild (and less travelled) as it does so, so it might be time to head for Charlotte.

Should you decide to fly into D.C. after all, Dulles is MUCH closer than BWI to head either west on 66 (to Skyline Drive which then turns into the BlueRidge), or south/southwest to Charlottesville where you can see Monticello and the U.VA campus before getting on the BR Parkway.