DC - Inauguration question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't have one of the official tickets, how early do you suspect you have to get to the route to get a good view? I am hoping overnight is not a word used in any responses.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 07:12 PM

How about, the earlier the better? I am serious!
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Are we talking tailgating here?
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 06:47 AM

I am interested in the answer to this as well. We're hoping to get tickets but will stand on the Mall to hear the speeches in any event. I'll be paying attention as the details get announced. Even though we weren't Obama supporters before the election there's no denying this inauguration is a very big deal and I'm looking forward to it.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 07:06 AM

We went to Clinton's first Inaugural
motorcade "Parade" when we were my husband wrked at Pentagon.
Due to tons of people/crowds, we went not going to go but at the last minute watching TV, we ran out door, jumped on Pentagon City Mall Subway stop right before the motorcade started and by luck ended up standng right where Clintons got out of the car to walk..

My sugestions: try to figure out the less desirable place on route near a subway & just count on luck.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 07:20 AM

I'm not planning to attend the Inauguration, but here is how I would approach it if I was going. This is just my viewpoint and not necessarily the only way to do it.

1. Try to get tickets from my Congressman or U.S. Senator's office. Everything I have read indicates that public demand far exceeds the possible supply.

2. If that is not possible, I would go very, very early with folding lawn chairs, blankets, coffee, etc. and be prepared for a very long wait. Think Black Friday sales and you will get the idea. Midnight? Probably and possibly earlier.

I was fortunate to attend the final night of the Democratic National Convention (as a delegate) in Denver's Invesco Field. We arrived about 3 P.M. and got fantastic seats. On another occasion, my wife and I went to see Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton in Orlando and went about 3-4 hours early for the event. After the speeches were over, we were each able to get handshakes from both of them and Sen. Obama even signed an 8X10 photo I brought with me. Certainly luck played an important part in this but so did preparation which is something under your control. Good luck!
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

I suppose it's really, really hard to get a spot to see a speck of the President giving the inauguration speech?
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 08:54 AM

I have a great spot, right in my living room.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 09:00 AM

From what I understand about past inaugurations, there will be giant screens and speakers set up on the Mall so even though you won't be able to see it up close you will be able to see and hear. I think it will be great to be a part of the crowd.

We went to the parade when the Red Sox won the World Series in 2004- similar to the inauguration in that over a million people were in attendance. Had no problem getting there and getting a good spot. Hoping for the same in DC.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 09:09 AM

There will be giant video screens, so you have to have the attitude that being part of a crowd at an event of which you see and hear nothing except on a screen, and probably less well than at home on TV, will be worth it.

Without a ticket, there isn't any way in the world you will see anything live of the swearing-in. They are giving out 240K tickets, for heaven's sake. You can't see it from very far away at all, probably most of those folks won't really see anything live.
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 09:11 AM

Best views of the swearing-in will be on TV, free to everyone. I'm guessing that they will erect jumboscreens for crowds on the Mall because the 240,000 free official tickets (to be given out by members of Congress in early Jan) will take care of only a very small fraction of those who want to be there.

Best views for the parade will be on the bleachers (tickets for sale by the Inaugural committee), but standing room on the Pa Ave sidewalk is free.

For official info:
http://inaugural.senate.gov/

For frequent updates about inaugural planning
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/inauguration-watch/
Old Nov 12th, 2008, 09:13 AM

Park at the New Carrollton subway at five AM and take the subway in to town. Get off at Farragut West and make your way to Lafayette Square.