Notices

DC Day Trips?

Jan 11th, 2001, 10:14 AM
Jackie

DC Day Trips?

I just moved to the DC area somewhat recently, and I am interested in possible day trips around the area. I have heard Williamsburg is wonderful, and I've also heard I should visit Annapolis. Any other suggestions for a 20-something interested in travel? Thanks!

geocities.com/j_goyette/t.html

Jan 11th, 2001, 10:17 AM
Joe

New York! Catch the 7:30am Shuttle, take a cab to Manhattan, Stroll around all day, hop back in a cab at 7:00pm, and catch the 8:30pm Shuttle back to DC. If you fly back on the same day the fare is cheap ($127 r/t?).

Jan 11th, 2001, 10:26 AM
xxx

Charlottesville! Beautiful town and you must see Monticello, home to Thomas Jefferson.

Richmond. Confederate museum to learn about the war of northern aggression.

Luray Caverns in the mountains. Drive the Skyline drive too.

Philadelphia. A must for all Americans.

Amish Country, PA.

A whale watching trip from Norfolk, Va.

Black Hills Park, Maryland. Look at the birds.

Bicycle the C&O Canal.

Spend one weekend a month exploring DC like a tourist. This you'll have the knowledge when your friends and family come to visit.

Jan 11th, 2001, 10:49 AM
xxx

Jackie:

Drive north to Baltimore. Explore the Inner Harbor area (National Aquarium, Science Center, Espn Zone, shops, Little Italy). Walk or take a water taxi to Fells Point, a great area for people in your age group. There are lots of good eating establishments and bars. In baseball season, go to an Orioles' game. Next fall, go to a Ravens' game (if you can get tickets - - - they're having a wonderful season - - - might go to the Super Bowl - - - tickets will be hard to come by next season).

Jan 11th, 2001, 10:50 AM
dan woodlief

Fredericksburg, Virginia. Nice old town and lots of major Civil War battlefields if you are into that sort of thing. Also, there is King's Dominion amusement park between Fredericksburg and Richmond. I would think Harper's Ferry, WV would be possible as a long daytrip too.

Jan 11th, 2001, 12:06 PM
Bill

If your interested in George Washington history, you might try a daytrip to Mt. Vernon. If your into amusement parks, & you in Williamsburg, Busch Gardens is nearby.

Jan 11th, 2001, 12:10 PM
Tony

Middleburg, VA (about an hour drive) is beautiful in the fall, winter, and spring. The area is known as "Fox Hunt Country".

Stay at the Goodstone Inn. They have scattered cottages across the countryside that are luxurious and beautifully decorated.

The accommodations and service is as good as any top hotel I have stayed in.

Plan a trip doing a weekend when an equestrian event is scheduled. The town will dazzle you.

-Tony

Jan 11th, 2001, 12:32 PM
lisa

The town of St. Michael's, MD is really nice, especially in the summer and fall.

Annapolis is great -- in fact, I'm planning on a daytrip there myself this weekend.

Baltimore is fun too.

I'm not a big fan of Colonial Williamsburg but I guess I'm in the minority.

A daytrip to Charlottesville VA to tour Monticello is wonderful. So is Mt. Vernon, which is so close to Alexandria that it doesn't really even count as a daytrip out of the city.

There are so many great destinations in Shenandoah -- too many to mention, especially if you like hiking. White Oak Canyon is particularly pretty.

Great Falls is also close by and there are good hiking trails there.

I do daytrips (and weekend trips) to New York pretty frequently. You can even take an early train -- say 6 AM -- get into Penn Station around 9 AM, catch a museum exhibit, lunch, a Broadway show matinee, dinner, and another Broadway show, and take the train back. A full day, but so much fun.

Jan 11th, 2001, 03:43 PM
Sandi

Jackie,

This may be more than a daytrip to most folks, but I did it in a day last spring. I had my own car while visiting D.C., and my friends and I drove to Lewes, Delaware to take the ferry to Cape May, N.J. I think the drive time was about two hours each way, the ferry trip was maybe an hour... can't remember for sure. But had a good 4-5 hours to spend in Cape May, went to the lighthouse, walked along the beach, enjoyed seeing the beautiful victorian painted houses (I had heard that Cape May has the most bed and breakfasts in any one town. It seemed believable to me.) Lots of shopping available. I brought back a bottle of wine from a place called the Ugly Mug.

Like I said, it was a long day, got back to D.C. about 11:00 or 12:00p.m. after stopping for supper along the way. But I don't mind long days. My friends are growing accustomed to them when they travel with me.

This is just my suggestion to you, crazy as it may be.

Sandi

Jan 11th, 2001, 04:13 PM
wendy

Gettysburg, PA - I think it's about 1hr 20min drive, the battlefield is enormous, and the town is adorable.

Search this Thread