DC: Car v. Metro (with baby in tow)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2009, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm meeting with my sister and her husband this weekend, and they've got a baby in tow. That means lots of equipment to lug around, so I'm a little hesitant to do the metro thing since it's peak cherry blossom time (and there'll be a ton of people from the parades and such). I've got a Zipcar membership so we'll be able to get short distances (Arlington and such) without problems, but I'm wondering if it's worth it to rent a car for the whole weekend? I keep hearing horrible things about park and driving on the beltway (if I rent a car, I'll be on said beltway around 7pm on Friday) and that it's not worth it. On the other hand, a baby and an enormous crowd on the subway also doesn't sound fantastic.

Does anyone have suggestions that can make me lean one way or the other? We'll be staying at the Helix Hotel (1430 Rhode Island NW) if that makes any difference at all.

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 12:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Depending upon where u r and what direction u r going, the beltway can be pretty awful on a Friday afternoon (or any afternoon for that matter). I'm not clear on what u will be doing? Just driving from some place (where?) to your hotel? Where would you be getting on the metro? Lots of people on the metro with babies..is this with their luggage or just a stroller/baby carrier stuff?
Downtown around the tidal basin area will be a zoo to drive in all weekend, but if you're leaving DC say for Arlington as u mention over the weekend, then u shouldn't have trouble driving from the Helix Hotel to Arlington. More info would be useful to give u a good answer.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 12:50 PM

I would not rent a car to get around within DC if you mean to drive to the Cherry Blossom stuff. Don't block the left side of Metro escalators - that is the side for walking up and down.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

I'm mostly referring to getting around within DC in a car v. using metro when there's a baby in tow (mostly just baby and gear, no luggage). If I end up renting a car, I'll be driving in from Philadelphia (hence the beltway remark), but otherwise, I'll get to DC using another method and get around the city using the metro. I mostly just wondered about getting around with a baby.

So the answer thus far seems to be metro?
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 01:08 PM

You don't have to go on the Beltway from Philadelphia if you don't want to. You could take 295 into DC from 895S.

Other people take their babies on Metro, I don't see why you couldn't manage it.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 01:26 PM

How much gear does this baby need, anyway? This would be a good time to bring out the baby backpack carrier to use instead of a stroller.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 02:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Metro it
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 04:19 PM

As a DC Native, and having done the tourist thing many times with babies in tow, I'll say this-
Parking will be expensive.
The Beltway at 7 on a Friday won't be a nightmare, unless there's a major accident or something.
Get the car. Why not? But you'll never find parking around the Tidal Basin during Cherry Blossoms.
Old Mar 31st, 2009, 05:44 PM

Will you be staying at a hotel in Washington?
Drive to DC from Philadelphia and leave the car in hotel parking (or, as we sometimes do, in public parking near the hotel). Then use metro/public transportation within the city until you are ready to return home.

Be aware that the parade is scheduled for Saturday and it will surely affect traffic flow.

One word of advice about driving near the Tidal Basin on the weekend during the Cherry Blossom Festival: DON'T!

I second the suggestion to use Route 295. Pick it up after you pass through the tunnel in Baltimore, enjoy the parkway--no trucks!--then use Route 50/New York Avenue to enter Washington.
Old Apr 1st, 2009, 09:06 AM

Don't bring a car! Helix is central enough that you can walk (using either baby carrier or stroller) to the blossoms (about 1.5 miles) or take a taxi (about $6).

The Metro, however, does not have any stops that are close to the Helix. There are a number of stations that all seem to be about 8 blocks away. Depending on which direction you head from the hotel: Dupont (red line), McPhearson Square (blue/orange lines), Farragut North (red line), and Shaw/HU (green line) are all about 8 blocks from the Helix.

I would plan on walking when you have time, energy, and nice weather and taxis when you don't.

DO NOT STREET PARK at the Helix. You WILL get towed and even if you have the will to move the car several times a day (you cannot park in the rush hour direction), you may end up having to park far from the hotel in an iffy area. If you do rent a car (but really, don't), then park in a paid lot or garage and pay the $30 day or whatever. That's each time you park it. In/out privledges are generally only for monthly contracts.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help everyone! I've decided to take a bus to/from DC and just do a combo of Zipcar/cabs/metro for whatever traveling needs we might have. (Renting a car to just have it sit in a parking lot for 3 days seems ... a waste of money.)

Now I just need to figure out where we can eat and not disturb people if the baby gets fussy.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 07:31 AM

I'll endorse all the recommendations not to try to drive to tourist sites in downtown DC because of where you're staying. You may not be able to park a lot closer to where you're going so cabbing it would be better. But also, as an earlier poster said, coming from Phila, you won't get on the beltway at all, but take the Harbor (as opposed to Ft. McHenry I-95) tunnel at Baltimore and then the BW Parkway (295) to New York Ave, Rt. 50. That is absolutely the best route for where you're coming from to where you're going.
Old Apr 2nd, 2009, 08:30 AM

A few thoughts for nearby (to Helix) eating with a possibly fussy baby:

http://www.logantavern.com/ On P st. 1-1/2 blocks from Helix. It's loud enough that even a crying baby won't cut through.
Across P st. from Logan Tavern is a Whole Foods with seating area (also good for picnic supplies). Also on the block is Stoney's http://www.washingtonpost.com/gog/ba...ll,806077.html - it's also loud enough to cover any "event".

Then south on 14th is:

http://www.lacabanarestaurantedc.com/ On 14th St between R.I. Ave and N st.

There is a Caribou Coffee at 14th & R.I. Ave. with outdoor seating (breakfast?).
Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

bardo1 - thank you for the recs. La Cabana does sound kind of fun, so I'll keep that in mind. Thanks again!