DC Area

Old Jan 4th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DC Area

We would like to find an inexpensive hotel just outside DC that we can stay in that is close to the metro.

Suite hotel, pool a plus.

Any suggestions.
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 05:23 PM

What do you consider inexpensive and when are you going to be in DC?
Old Jan 4th, 2009, 07:34 PM

We visited DC two summers ago with our then 11 and 12 year old kids. We stayed at the Embassy Suites in Alexandria, Virgina. It was PERFECT.

The King Street Metro station is directly across the street from the hotel. There is one other hotel adjacent to the Embassy Suites that we stayed at one night because of a power outage...sorry, I can't remember the name of it.
I always think that the Embassy Suites are affordable, predictable and include an awesome free cook to order breakfast!
One thing to keep in mind. Try to avoid flying into Dulles airport. It was a $75 cab ride one way to Alexandria. If we had known better, we would have flown into Reagan National Airport that is two or three metro stops from the Embassy Suites. People would get off the plane and head to the metro with their suitcases. We could have saved quite a bit of money if we would have known.
Alexandria also has great night life, especially on the weekends...walk down to the end of their main street and they block off the brick road for the people. VERY FUN!
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 07:57 AM

I stayed in Crystal City (at the Hyatt, for business) and it definitely met your metro criteria. There are several hotels within walking distance of the metro station, although I'm not sure whether any were suites. Alexandria or somewhere else may be better - I'm not that familiar with the area - but I'd give Crystal City a look. It has the added benefit of being very close to Reagan airport.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 10:14 AM

Although there's also an Embassy Suites in Crystal City, it's rather a hike to the nearest Metro station. So even though Alexandria is farther from the airport, it's just a couple of Metro stops and the ES is in a more convenient location for you.

Another ES with very convenient Metro access is in Chevy Chase; it's literally on top of the Friendship Heights station.
Old Jan 5th, 2009, 03:57 PM
mma

I am not sure what inexpensive is,and this hotel is not outside DC, but we stayed at the Residence Inn Washington DC/Capitol on E street and loved it. We paid less than $150 a night this summer for four of us. They have an indoor pool and are just around the corner from a Metro station. You can also walk to some of the Smithsonian museums. Full buffet breakfast is included. Very clean hotel. I would stay there again in a heartbeat.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 05:12 AM

What time of year are going to be in the DC area? If it's for the inauguration, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but everything for miles around is booked solid.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 08:59 AM

We stayed at the Embassy Suites in Alexandria also . . nice hotel . . close to the Metro and to historic Alexandria as well.
Old Jan 6th, 2009, 09:16 AM

There is also a Hampton Inn a few blocks down King Street, I believe.