Search

DC Airports

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DC Airports

I am Pricing flights to DC and am finding on NWA that some itineraries fly into one airport & out of another. I'm not thinking that this makes any difference, does it? We are not renting a car, and both Reagan & Dulles are easy to get to via a taxi or Metro, correct?

Any thoughts?
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 03:59 PM

Reagan National, yes. Dulles, no.

Metro doesn't go to Dulles and a taxi will cost significantly more than National.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Thx rkk, now that you mention that about Dulles, I remember reading it in another post! DCA it is!
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 04:57 PM

You can actually get to Dulles using the Metro but you have to change to the connecting bus service at the West Falls Church Metro station.

Reagan is MUCH closer into the city and either Metro or taxi from there will be easier, and cheaper, as Rkkwan has indicated.
Old Feb 28th, 2007, 06:20 PM

Much, much easier ...
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 09:42 AM
LT

cassidy:

First, if price is an issue, you might consider BWI, as the prices for domestic flights are usually cheaper there, due in large part to Southwest's and AirTran's large presence there. If you travel on the weekdays, you can take a MARC train (www.mtamaryland.com) to Union Station & pick up Metro from there. If MARC isn't convenient, Metro has a bus from BWI to Greenbelt Metro.

Metro does run one bus (5a) to Dulles, but it does NOT stop @ West Falls Church; it's Rosslyn.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 10:04 AM

As you've already read, (Ronald Reagan) National Airport is along the Potomac, between Alexandria, VA, and D.C. The blue line Metro train has a stop there, which, if you're staying in D.C., makes it the most convenient (but generally more expensive) option. Dulles Airport is in Loudoun County, west of D.C. No metro trains stop there, although there is a Metro Flyer bus which will take you to the West Falls Church, orange line metro train station. (Check out www.wmata.com for Metro's very helpful website) During rush hour on a typical weekday, it takes me about 35 minutes to get from West Falls Church to the first stop in D.C. (Foggy Bottom). If you have plenty of time to commute or are staying in the western Virginia suburbs, Dulles is your best bet. Also, as someone stated earlier, Baltimore's airport (BWI) is an option, if you have the time/inclination for the commute. Good luck!
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

LT, Thanks for the tips! I'm actually finding some decent fares into Reagan as well as BWI. Northwest (ugh) has fares at about $118 per person round trip! Not bad at all!
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 04:15 PM

Into Reagan for $118? I'd jump all over that before it changes.

My rule of thumb is that it usually takes a fare difference of $100 or more to fly into Dulles vs. Reagan. I feel that is the point where my inconvenience and extra transit costs are compensated.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:26 AM

Hmmm, I thought Honest Abe only took trains ... but that advice is solid.

Occasional deals into National are more plentiful than there were in the past and $118 into DCA is about as good as it gets no matter where you're coming from.

Some people place an even higher premium on flying into DCA -- it's just so much more convenient.

I'm about equal distance (time wise) from all three and I rank them DCA, BWI and IAD. If you're carless, Dulles is the least convenient. The train from BWI to Union Station work pretty well, but the hours for the fairly plentiful MARC commuters are limited at night and on weekends and the Amtrak trains are pricier and less frequent.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

I think I am going to jump on that fare into Reagan. It's for early September too, which I heard is a great time to visit, right? Might still be a little warm, but we can deal!

You have all been really helpful! Please keep an eye out for my soon-to-come clueless posts asking for help!
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 06:44 AM

In advance..yes you very well could need A/C here in September; fortunately finding it won't be an issue.

No, we don't care if you wear shorts and look like an American.

Have a great trip