DC Advice for Family

Search

DC Advice for Family

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2004, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DC Advice for Family

We are a family of 4 (2 children 6 and 10) planning to visit DC in April. I'd appreciate hotel and airport arrival recommendations. The following are what I'm considering for hotels:

1) Hilton Garden Inn Franklin Square at $159 with breakfast (for 2 adults I think).
2) Holiday Inn on the Hill from $109-139.
3) Omni Shoreham at $116 and last couple of days at $241. We will not be visiting the zoo so proximity is not required.
4) The River Inn at $145/night.

We're looking for something with a little more space but cleanliness and area safety are our first priority. I've already check the Embassy Suites and Summerfield suites. They are way out of our price range. The last time I looked at JW Marriott they were also too expensive. I've checked all the above and confirmed that they are close to Metro stops with The River Inn the farthest at 2 blocks away.

We're also planning to use the Metro when we arrive at 6:45PM on Friday night. Is this recommended with two children and each of us with our own wheeled-luggage. Should we consider a cab instead?

Thanks in advance for any advise.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 03:05 AM

You have to remember that every metro(subway) is not always a safe neighborhood. The Omni Shorham is the only one I have heard of. Look for places near the White House, near Pennsylvania Avenue or Connecuticut Ave. You may also want to consider Crystal City, VA or Bethesda or Chevy Chase, MD. They are on the metro line and probably much cheaper. Also remember that you are coming at the height of the DC tourist season (may even be Cherry Blossom week). You would probably be best to take a taxi, especially if you stay in Crystal CIty. It is right next to the airport and only about 2 miles from DC.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 03:06 AM

Oops, assumed you meant Reagan National airport which is near DC. BWI is about 45 minutes away and Dulles about 35 minutes away. With BWI or Dulles you can't take metro.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 06:00 AM
emd

My husband used to work for the co. that owned the River Inn, he says that they are all-suite, converted from apartments, have everything from an efficiency to two bedrooms available. It is close to GW University (Washington circle area). He is familiar w/all the hotels you listed. He says you'll get more space at River Inn than at the other hotels, but since it was not built as a hotel from the ground up it doesn't have all the amenities the other hotels offer. BUt good location (Foggy Bottom metro, which services everyone who goes to GW University and the area businesses, safe area). Notright by the White House and Smithsonian museums but you could metro to those, it is not far. 4 to 5 block walk to many places to eat. He says Holiday Inn on th eHill is old and less spacious, and Hilton Garden in is closer to the WHite House and has very KEY location for tourist things but don't know the inside of the hotel- suspect it is like a Coourtyard re space so not as good as River inn on space, but better location.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 12:58 PM

I'd don't know if you're on a budget, but you should be able to find accomodations for a lot less than this outside the city. Many, many tourists stay along a Metro line in the suburbs to save money. Even from the furthest point out it's only around a 30 minute ride into the city. Just about anywhere along the orange or blue lines in Fairfax county (VA) or the red line in Montgomery county (MD) should be a decent neighborhood. Chevy Chase, Bethesda and Crystal City are all good suggestions. You might also find some good options in Rosslyn or Ballston (VA).
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 01:21 PM

The Hilton Garden Inn Franklin Square is a busy location during the week, as it's near K Street/lots of law offices. And it is indeed a great base for sightseeing the usual sights. The weekend will be much quieter. The area is safe, even in the evenings. When will you be visiting DC? Have you considered a (one-way) home exchange? We live in just outside DC and participate in home exchanges-we'll be on vacation in early April if you're interested-please email me offline at [email protected].
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 02:59 PM
LN

Hi

to my knowledge the Hilton is near Connecticut and K Sts (a business area and very nice - just north from the White House) Holiday Inn is near the Capitol and Union Station (pretty good area - has a pool on the roof) Omni Shoreham has always been one of the Queens - Mayflower's the other - great location kind of prim and proper with two kids but $241 is really high! If the River Inn is a suites hotel in Foggy Bottom - that would be a good location.

Metro is always a great choice and 6:45pm coming into the city should be just past rush hour. Our Metro is really great - you'll enjoy it as it's clean and fast.

I don't know what part of April you're coming but as other posters have said our Cherry Blossom time is pretty hectic but it's also very enjoyable.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the replies.

We will be in DC 4/9-4/16 (Spring Break). We know it's busy season but we don't have much flexibility as that's the time when the kids are out of school.

I didn't think I would want to consider staying outside of the city due to the time reqired to travel. We will be doing mostly touristy things so I thought staying in the city was our best option. Based on the recomendations, I will look into Crystal City or adjacent areas.

I omitted the fact that we will be flying into DCA. Would anyone know approximately how much it would cost for the taxi with 4 people?

Yes we are on a budget but wouldn't mind spending a little extra for the convenience. Anything in the $150 range is okay as long as we get the best value for our money.

Most of all, thank you for all the replies. I do A LOT of research for our family vacations. Unfortunately with the wealth of information that comes from research, there's also a lot of options/decisions to be made. I thought I'd post a note to get first hand feedback from locals or anyone who recently traveled to the hotels and areas above. Again, thank you for all the replies.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 05:08 PM
emd

cab from Natl airport to River Inn or nearby should be about $16 without tip; without traffic it is 8 min. trip at most, right over the Potomac River and up 23rd street to Foggy bottom area. Metro for 4 people from Natl to Foggy Bottom stop depends on if it is rush hour fare or not, maybe close to $8-10? I';d spring for the cab, esp w/luggage and not having to walk to the hotel w/luggage after you get off metro at the stop. Not much more to the other hotels you are looking at, but a bit more.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 05:49 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hi the Hilton Garden inn is very nice. I stayed here last september with my daughters and my friend and her girls were across the hall. We felt very safe(and that was very important to me since we did not have our husbands on this trip).We could walk to all the sightseeing and cabbed it at night to Georgetown to walk around and have dinner. The breakfast was very good. I think you will enjoy this hotel. It is not the Ritz, but very comfortable and I like nice hotels. I would stay here again and probably will since we can drive up from Richmond for a visit.I cannot give you airport information-sorry. Call your state senator's office before you leave and request a private tour of the capitol building. We did it while we were there and it was very neat. You get to ride underground between the senate office building and the capitol. Have a great trip and enjoy the Smithsonian. It is wonderful. I hear the zoo is great too-never been there. Have fun.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 05:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hi the Hilton Garden inn is very nice. I stayed here last september with my daughters and my friend and her girls were across the hall. We felt very safe(and that was very important to me since we did not have our husbands on this trip).We could walk to all the sightseeing and cabbed it at night to Georgetown to walk around and have dinner. You can also sign up for the Trolley tour of the city. It will pick you up at one sight and drive you and pick you up at each major sight. This might help with the 6 year old. We did ride the subways during the day and it was fine.
The breakfast at the Hilton was very good. I think you will enjoy this hotel. It is not the Ritz, but very comfortable and I like nice hotels. I would stay here again and probably will since we can drive up from Richmond for a visit.I cannot give you airport information-sorry. Call your state senator's office before you leave and request a private tour of the capitol building. We did it while we were there and it was very neat. You get to ride underground between the senate office building and the capitol. Have a great trip and enjoy the Smithsonian. It is wonderful. I hear the zoo is great too-never been there. Have fun.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 06:51 PM

Looking at your dates, one of the best deals going would be the State Plaza Hotel in Foggy Bottom. I ran it on www.quikbook.com and came up with a rate of $113/night. The State Plaza is an all-suite hotel, so it's plenty roomy. You may want to check several possible booking sources; it may be possible to get two bedrooms. The hotel is within easy walking distance of the Vietnam memorial, the Washington Monument, White House, etc. There is a metro stop a few blocks away (this is the neighborhood of George Washington University. While my favorite neighborhood to stay in is the Dupont Circle area, things can be a bit more pricey there and an extra $50-$75/night (plus tax) makes a big difference over the course of a week.
Old Feb 1st, 2004, 07:53 PM

I live in the DC metro area and would say all of those locations are safe enough. I personally would prefer the Omni, then the Hilton for convenience and location. However, I wouldn't want to pay that $241 for the last days at the Omni, I suppose. The Holiday Inn would be okay but there aren't as many restaurants and street life right around that hotel as the other two I prefer. I don't really care for the location of the River Inn as there aren't that many restaurants down in Foggy Bottom, but it would be okay, also -- just as good as the Holiday Inn. There are several Hiltons in DC and the one you name is NOT near Conn and K, as you probably know.

I think you are right as to staying in the city, I think if you are going to visit a city, it is more enjoyable to stay in it and enjoy it. Some of the places suggested above outside the city are dull and sterile and likely not cheaper than staying in the city, anyway.

7 pm is probably past the worst of rush hour for the metro, but I think that sounds rather hectic after a day of traveling to go by metro and a cab is relatively cheap from National to DC (about $15). I don't know how that woulde work for four people, however, as I've never tried to get a cab for that many people and don't know how available they are.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 09:07 PM
Original Poster

For Christina: Thanks for the valuable tips. Someone says I should consider staying in Georgetown. What is your opinion of this area compared to the Hilton Garden Inn on Franklin Square? If you think it is a better area for a family with 2 young children, which hotels would you recommend I look at. I prefer that to stay in hotel under 3 stars. Thanks.
Old Feb 5th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Original Poster

Correction! Sorry, I meant I prefer to NOT stay in a hotel under 3 stars.
Old Feb 6th, 2004, 05:50 AM

There's no Metro in Georgetown and it is not close to most tourist attractions. The HGI is across the street from McPherson Square Metro station and walking distance to many sites. You could get there on the Metro Blue Line without a transfer or a taxi ride at that time across 14th St. Bridge would be a piece of cake. Actually, it would be a scenic drive, so it would be worthwhile to take a taxi.