Search

Dayton, Ohio

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2000, 02:46 PM
Gary

Dayton, Ohio

Were going to be in the Dayton, Ohio area for a week in September. Specifically going to the LaComedia Dinner Theater located south of Dayton on I75. We like to site see. Any suggestions?

Old Jul 17th, 2000, 08:29 AM
cincy

Wright-Patterson Air Force Base is kind of interesting. But, Dayton can be kind of boring. My best advice:

Keep driving down I-75 until you get to Cincinnati. Cincy is a great town, lots to see and do. Check out:

www.cincy.com
www.oktoberfestzinzinnati.com
www.enquirer.com

Old Jul 18th, 2000, 07:36 AM
BuckeyeChuck

There is an Air Force Museum in Dayton. You might want to call 1-800-Buckeye, they can probably give you more info., coupons, maps etc. (That number is the state tourism hotline)

Old Jul 19th, 2000, 02:15 PM
Christina

I used to live there, many years ago as a kid, it was pretty boring then and still is. There's just not a lot of sightseeing to do around there for quite a long distance. I agree that Cincinnati is a good idea; also, there are some serpent mounds in southern Ohio within 75 miles of Dayton, sort of interesting area historically/anthropologically and nature-wise (south of Hillsboro a bit, east of Cincy). Columbus isn't that far away, really, but it's not that exciting either, having lived there many years, but it is better than Dayton (science museum, beautifully restored Ohio Theatre, German Village, a mall people go shopping to from far away, I don't know why--it's got some good stores for Columbus, like Saks.)

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 04:56 AM
kylover

Drive south a little longer and visit Kentucky. The Newport aquarium is pretty neat and the country is beautiful.

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 05:24 AM
Mary Sue

Lebanon and Waynesville are nice little towns with lots of antique shops. There is an inn in Lebanon - I think it's called The Golden Lamb or something like that - that is supposed to be wonderful. That would be a nice day trip. Also Miami is a cute university town.

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 05:51 AM
Linda

The inn in Lebanon is indeed the Golden Lamb.

Richmond, Indiana, just across the state line, is another nice small college town. Earlham College and Indiana University East are there. There is good shopping for womens' clothes downtown (I live in Boston but get most of my best clothes there).

About 10 miles west of Richmond, in Hagerstown, Welliver's Smorgasbord is famous. People drive from much further than Dayton to eat there. If you go, go hungry!

I agree with the previous posters that this part of the country is, well, quiet. However, it's peaceful, lovely, and very livable. Enjoy your trip!

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 06:03 AM
kim

We usually go to Dayton for the airshow so I will agree with the posters who recommended the Air Force musuem- it is very interesting for anyone interested in aviation/military history- they also have an IMAX theater there. Also we stay at the Dayton Marriott and they have a nice outdoor bar that was the place to be when we were there anyway (nice hotel, too). My husband loves the ribs at Damon's so that's always on the list, too.

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 07:24 AM
BuckeyeChuck

Christina-When was the last time you were in Columbus? Columbus is really hopping now. The Center for Science and Industry just openned a beautiful new facility downtown, there is an IMAX theater north of town, the Columbus Zoo is world class now, the Brewery District south of downtown is a great entertainment district catering to the all ages, Tuttle Mall, Easton, off of 270 just openned with world class shopping and entertainment(Planet Movies and great restaurants.) The Short North just north of downtown has gallery hops on the weekend, Picnic with the Pops on Saturday night, Wendys International has jazz music on their lawn on the weekends, Ohio State has the Value City Arena which has great concerts and shows, minor league baseball, 2 new ice rinks and the National Hockey League is coming to town in the fall with a beautiful new arena downtown. Columbus has some of the best restarurants in the midwest, something catering to everyone's taste. The Ohio State Fair, the Ohio Historical District, Franklin Park Conservatory, great metroparks.
And of course Ohio State sports. Columbus is a great town! Come visit again!

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 07:59 AM
Christopher

Chuck-You forgot to mention Polais Amphitheater which has great outdoor concers, the Columbus Ballet, Symphony, Santa Maria downtown, the restored Palace Theater and Ohio Theaters downtown, lunchtime concerts at the Ohio State Capitol Building, Jazz and Ribfest, Columbus Arts Festival, Red, White and Boom (one of the largest fireworks displays in the Midwest), community festivals, free community concerts, Ohio Village, German Village. If anyone gets bored in Columbus it's there own fault!

As for Gary's original post-I am not that familiar with Dayton. I know that nearby Xenia has the outdoor drama Blue Jacket and it has a nice air show and the Air Force Museum. Either do a search on Dayton or check with the 1-800-Buckeye as the previous poster suggested.

Old Jul 20th, 2000, 08:48 AM
John

Gary, if you can reschedule your trip to October you'll be able to attend one of the greatest pleasures available in southwest Ohio, the annual Underwear Festival in Piqua, on I-75 about 20 miles north of the throbbing core of Dayton. There's a Comfort Inn there. Hoo boy.

Old Jul 23rd, 2000, 06:18 AM
Paul

If you are there September 16-17 you shouldn't miss Oktoberfest Zinzinnati. It's the second only to the original Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany! It's a great party right in downtown Cinti. Get there early in the day to beat the crowds but if you enjoy the night life, the festival is equally fun in the evening.

If you like Baseball, go to a Cinti Reds game. Ohio River offers all kinds of boating opportunities. Cincinnati's Zoo is rated in the top 5 US zoos. If you go to a zoo I would definitely chose Cinti’s Zoo over the Columbus Zoo.

Kings Island amusement park is located just north of Cinti. Caesar Creek state park is just outside of Waynesville (and close to LaComedia). Serpent mounds are cool. It's a good drive though from Dayton to nearly Chillicothe. Antiquing is very good in Lebanon, Waynesville and Richmond, IN.

The Wright-Patt is a very interesting if you really like that sort of thing. You could spend a half or whole day there.