COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Dayton, Cincinati & Columbus

Old Jun 1st, 2006, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Dayton, Cincinati & Columbus

Going for a few days: suggestions and advice needed.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 12:00 PM

For how long ? What do you like to do ? Can you narrow the generalities down a bit ?
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Going for 3 full days however one day will be spent at/on Rocky Fork Lake. Any advise would be appreciated. I enjoy museums (have seen the Di exhibit already) but also outdoor "things". I'm game for anything as I really don't know would is special about the area.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 12:24 PM

One suggestion is the Columbus Zoo - it's one of the best in the country.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 12:32 PM

So you're at least an hour from any of these places. If you want to maintain the 'outdoor theme' I would suggest the Hocking Hills area about an 1 hour +/- East of Rocky Fork. Check www.hockinghills.com. Otherwise I would probably head to Cincy, take in a Reds game, hit Newport on the Levee, visit the Zoo, etc. For Columbus, visit German Village, The Brewery District, Short North, etc.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 12:50 PM

Bridget, are you looking for lodging or restaurant info? What is your budget, what types of cuisine do you like? If I knew when you will be in Columbus, I could suggest cultural events. Can you please elaborate?
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 02:04 PM

If you or your family have an interest, the US Air Force Museum is located at Wright-Patterson AFB on the north side of Dayton. I think it is second only to the Air and Space Museum in DC, at least in the US.
Old Jun 1st, 2006, 02:17 PM

There's not much special about the area. However, the small town of Yellow Springs has good restaurants and interesting shops. It is located in between Dayton and Columbus (closer to Dayton).
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 04:50 AM

Actually Yellow Springs is between Dayton & Springfield, Columbus is about an hour away. Youngs' Dairy is worth the trip in & of itself + Clifton Gorge & John Bryan Parks are out that way. We used to drive out there all the time when I was in college @ Wright State. The BEST ice cream you'll ever have. The Air Force Museum is also very interesting as mentioned by dwooddon.
Old Jun 2nd, 2006, 05:34 AM

In Dayton go to WP Museum for sure. http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/

My family prefers the WP Air Force Museum over the Smithsonian in DC. My kids grew up going to the museum in Dayton and weren't too impressed when we toured the one in DC.

You can take a shuttle to a separate hangar to view at least 7 former Presidential aircraft (from Roosevelt all the way to Reagan) including the Boeing that returned LBJ, Jackie, and JFK's body from Dallas to DC. Remember the famous picture of LBJ being sworn in on the plane with Jackie looking on? Sign up early if you want to do that part as shuttle seats fill up early. There are also IMAX type movies at the museum.

The thing I enjoy most about the museum is the vast number of personal effects donated by members of the military. Not just items like medals that were won but things like diaries and a violin with signatures of all the men the musician served with.

In Columbus the Easton Town Center rocks if you are a shopper.
http://www.eastontowncenter.com/