Dayspa, Etc. near Union Square San Francisco

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2008, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I are having some girl time and are staying near Union Square mid week for a couple of days. We would love to do a spa treament, but our hotel's prices are predictably high.

Any suggestions on dayspas that are nice and reasonable within a reasonable walking distance? We are both good walkers!

Also, restaurants and bars/lounges or jazz clubs for the evening? Great boutiques and shops? Suggestions for siteseeing? We are already going to see Frida at SFMOMA and hope to see Chihuly at at the De Young as well. Thanks!!
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 09:57 AM

I think DebbieNM went to Burke Williams spa on Market st, hopefully she'll see this thread.

Search for "spa san francisco" you'll see good advices in the old threads.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Faina! You are a great resource. How about a walkable from Union Square sushi place for my sis and I where we wouldn't need a rez?
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 11:30 AM

This I don't know...

But if you want a funky place in the square, why not Cheesecake Factory on the top of Macy's? They have full menu, not just desserts.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Mmmm, that sounds good. Thanks
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 03:35 PM

Where are you staying hotel?

Concierge can help:

I liked the Norstrom Spa...at their flagship store.
There is also a Day spa on Maiden Lane I like...
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll look into that. I liked the looks of the Chakra Spa at Union Square as well. Any opinions on that place?

We are at the St.Francis and the cost of using their fitness facility is included with a spa treatment. That sounds appealing as well.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 06:40 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
How about this one? www.77maidenlane.com Maiden Lane is just off Union Square.

Also on Maiden Lane is a *great* little place for lunch called Mocca. It's Italian, food is cafeteria style but excellent, serves wine, indoor and outdoor seating. Trust me, it's a very nice spot.

Sorry don't know about sushi (since I live in Seattle it's not something I look for when I travel -haha).
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 07:00 AM

Suze--there's also that fabuloso shoe store on Maiden Lane--what's the name???
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 07:57 AM

I can't remember the name of any of 'em! heck I had to Google for the restaurant.

but Maiden Lane's for sure a great couple blocks. I bought a fabulous jacket from a place with all kinds of hand woven just gorgeous stuff a few years ago. Label says Susan Hayes but I'm not sure if that's the store name or the artist who designed the jacket.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Suze! I remember you as being such a huge help to me in other travel plans. I'll check out Maiden Lane. The only real plus about the St. Francis Spa is that it includes that days fee to get into the fitness/steam room facility. Somewhat appealing.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 08:13 AM

I should have said, I've not been to the spa I posted. I only happened upon it when I was googling to get that cafe's name!

Have fun in San Francisco. Great city.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Checked out the Maiden Lane website and I think I'lll decide between the Chakra and the St. Francis. I made appt's at both and they both have a 24 hour cancelation.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 08:33 AM

I've been to the spa at the St. Francis and it isn't a *traditional* spa. It's more like a couple of treatment rooms off the hotel's exercise room. I had a good massage there, but if you're looking for the whole spa experience, I think it's a little disappointing.

On Post St. there is an Eliz Arden spa. I was just there last month (boy, it seems like I spa a lot, doesn't it?). It is very pretty, good services, full menu of services. You might check it out.

Can't help you with sushi, but I did just have lunch at the Rotunda restaurant at Neiman's. A little pricey for lunch, but delicious!! The lobster club is the stuff of dreams. Be sure to make a rez to get a table overlooking Union Square.
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 08:50 AM

Just to add to Suze's post re: Mocca..it is a cash only, lunch only place..they stay open later in the pm but not a dinner spot...
and it is a great real Italian deli place.

The fresh marianted seafood salad (squid, shrimp, mussels etc might just make up for the lack of sushi
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! I'll figure it out. We are there such a short time that we don't want a whole day at the spa. Just a massage and maybe a steam and a little workout before shopping and eating! Thanks again! I am out of here! Bye!
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Hi All! Just want to let you know that the trip was great! Lisette, you were right about the 'spa' at the St. Francis. It just wasn't really 'spa' like and with the gorgeous weather outside and limited time, we decided to skip the whole spa thing. Too expensive anyways.

Instead, what we did was quick 30 minute chair massages at some of the walk up places around Union Square. Quick and cheap recharges.

If I had the time again though I would do the 60 minute $55 facial at Origins at Macys. It looked wonderful and although it's in the middle of the store all the sounds of Macys sounded like 'white noise'. They also have 30 minute chair massages for $25.

Thanks again for all the help!