Day Trips/Things to Do from Idaho Falls

Old Sep 23rd, 2003, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Trips/Things to Do from Idaho Falls

I will be in Idaho Falls from 10/14 - 10/19, 2003. I will be free during the days to see the area. I will have a car and am a woman traveling alone. I love the outdoors --my hobby is photography of beautiful scenery and wildlife. I have been to the Tetons & Yellowstone a few times. For this trip, I'm interested in seeing Idaho and what it has to offer. I have never made the drive across Teton Pass (Snake River Canyon,etc), however; and wonder if it is worth the trip over toward Jackson, WY. I would appreciate any suggestions!
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 08:49 AM

A trip to Jackson thru Hoback Juction and Alpine and back over Jackson pass. (2.5 hours each way)is a great trip. The Driggs area is also beautiful. You could also drive to Ashton, Island Park area. Island park is only 30 miles from West Yellowstone. Island Park from Idaho Falls is about 1.5 hours. The Harriman Park area on the way to Is. Park - has nice flat foot trails
(used for cross country skiing in the winter)is very nice. You may see an elk herd - hear them bugle and swans, ducks, geese along the river. The fall colors will be beautiful taking any of these drives. Island Park drive would be my favorite for a road trip since the road is flat and straight most of the way and can relax alittle more and enjoy the scenry. Have fun!
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 09:11 AM

Sorry - The trip to Jackson from I.F. should take closer to 2 hours one way.
Old Sep 30th, 2003, 09:41 AM

A trip over the Teton Pass is fun, if mountain roads don't bother you. This one is a steep ascent/descent, with curves. So make sure your car has darn good tires and even better brakes.

We drove over the pass once from west to east. We had some kind of car without much of an engine and a slush pump of an automatic transmission. For some reason it had a tachometer on it, though I will never know why. At one stage we were lumbering up the road with the engine turning about 5500 rpm but the car was only going about 25 mph.
I thought the pistons were going to either burn or go through the head.
My wife leaned over, looked at the tach and the speedometer for at least 60 seconds. Then she made the sage observation that one was gaining on the other. I am not sure which one; probably the tach was ahead because the car, despite all of the sound and fury, issuing from the engine was not gaining speed.

I also suggest visiting the museum atomic reactor out in the flats toward Arco. There is a Department of Emergy plant out there that is closed, but the old breeder reactor is kept open as a tourist attraction.

There is also Craters of the Moon National Monument. It is an area of relatively recent volcanic activity with lava flows, cinder cones, craters, and wind! The wind is so strong at times that if the temperature is below 55 the conditions can be most unpleasant. I know I lost my hat forever while hiking up a cinder cone.
My wife had her hat tied on with a scarf that she had to pull so tight it was almost choking her. At times I though I needed to tie my head on.
Nothing like a shower of wind driven cinders right in the face.
Despite the hazards, the place is fascinating.

Old Oct 5th, 2003, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Hi Bob,
Here you are helping me out again. It seems that you love the west and Switzerland as much as I! Also..I see that your e-mail address is from UGA. My daughter is in school there. Small world. Thanks to you and all who posted suggestions.
snewt
Old Oct 5th, 2003, 08:16 PM

I meant to say that the AEC site west of Idaho Springs and Pocatello was closed to you and me. It is of course open for employees.

The museum was open to all the last time I was out there and visited it.
It is a very old design; otherwise it would not be open to the public.
Old Aug 5th, 2004, 05:54 PM

Mesa Falls between Ashton and the Idaho/Montana border is a scenic place to visit. There are two water falls with amazing views.

This place is a tad hokey but my daughter and I enjoyed our brief stop at Bear World located five miles south of Rexburg. The bears are animals that have been rescued or raised at the facility. You can view bears quite closely from your car; sightings are not just guaranteed but unavoidable. They have two optional experiences: you can feed the bears from the top of bus (there is a platform and rails) and you can bottle feed a baby bear. They have five or six babies that you can feed and pet.