Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

What do you think of hotel choices before I put deposits down.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2004, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is time to put down deposits for our fall Hawaii trip. But before I do I wanted some final opions on hotel choices.

Maui : ist 2 nights at Hotel Hana Maui then 4 nights at Napili Kai.

Kauai: ist 2 nights at Hyatt Regency Kaui. I have heard this is a fabolous resort but can only aford 2 nights. The last 3 nights at Hanalie Colony Resort on the north shore.

Honalulu: 2 nights at some hotel yet to be determined.

We are trying to mix a little luxury with more budget conscience choices and to see different areas of each island.

Old Mar 31st, 2004, 10:11 AM

Kaymit,

Just curious, but why do you have to put down a deposit? The places you mentioned all have a regular reservation policies. All they need is a credit card to hold the reservaion. They won't charge you anything at this time. I didn't check their cancellation policies, but I would assume that as long as it's done few day before arrival there will not be any charges.
Anyway, I don't know when you're planning your vacation, but Napili Kai Resort has a 5th night free promotion throughout the year. I would check on that.
Good luck!
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 10:51 AM

My only suggestion would be to try and book the more luxurious accomodation at the end of your stay if possible. Ending each island visit on a high note seems more appealing to me, rather than staying at a great resort then moving to a budget choice. Otherwise you seem to have a great mix of locations and hotels while meeting your budgetary concerns.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 11:08 AM

Stayed a week at the Hyatt for our honeymoon. Great place. Excelllent pool and great drinks!
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 11:23 AM

you may want to do a search on the hanalei bay resort. there have been mixed reviews on this forum.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 03:29 PM

We stayed at Hanalei Bay back when it was a different operation (part of it was used in the film of "South Pacific"). But the setting is so beautiful that I'd be willing to stay there even if the hotel isn't now as nice as it was--the bay and the surroundings are so beautiful. We could look across to the mountains with waterfalls shimmering down and see below us the rice paddies spread out like a huge checkerboard. Very, very special.

For Honolulu, we like the Outrigger West, the one right on Waikiki Beach.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 03:52 PM

AA, when a room is reserved the hotel puts a "hold" on your credit card, maybe this is what Kaymit means?
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 05:04 PM

Not sure I would spend two nights in Hana with so many other great spots in Maui.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 05:29 PM

Kaymit: Be aware that two of the previous posters mentioned the Hanalei Bay Resort not the Hanalei Colony Resort. All of your choices are great. Sounds like you will be doing a lot of packing and unpacking though. Have a good trip.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 05:39 PM

For Honolulu you may want to try the Waikiki Parc Hotel. Expedia has them for only $125.00 per night. It has received excellent reviews on tripadvisor.com. They're across the street from the beach, but a lot less money than the oceanfront resorts.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 06:19 PM

I forgot to mention -- we stayed at Hanaleu Bay Resort in 2001. We loved it. The rooms could have used a little updating, but I believe they have been doing some renovations since we have been there. I would not hesitate to stay there again. THe mountain view rooms were just as increidble as the ocean views in my opinion. WE were upgraded to a studio room and it included a small kitchenette area. The pool is nice and a lagoon style. They have a great hot tun. Very quiet when we were there- November. You share the same beach as the PRinceville Resort.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 08:24 PM
gyppielou

Fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Enjoy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Good luck with your drive to Hana, get the car, supply up, and head out!!! I would stick with Hanalie to avoid so much checking in checking out, but the Hyatt is lovely...and people love it!!!so much to see, so much to explore, so little time to just hang out.......Good Luck.....G