Reload this Page >

Day Trips from NYC ?

Search

Day Trips from NYC ?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 1999, 12:28 AM
Barry

Day Trips from NYC ?

We will be in NYC in January and have two spare days which we were hoping to spend outside of 'the big city'. We would really like to spend a day in a small US town or region, in a pretty area (in Winter?), which is not too far from New York.
We had planned on catching a train up to Boston for two nights, but would much prefer to find a small 'oasis' where we can shop and sightsee away from crowds. We also don't feel we could do Boston justice in only two days.
We would prefer the area to be within 3-5 hours at the most of NYC.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

Old Oct 23rd, 1999, 10:39 AM
Mike Murphy

To give you some ideas, here are some of the official tourism sites.
North of NYC -
Westchester County - http://www.westchesterny.com/
Dutchess County - http://www.dutchessny.gov/
ink crashes my browser
Putnam County - http://www.visitPutnam.org

East of NYC -
Connecticut - http://www.tourism.state.ct.us/
Long Island -
http://licvb.com/liguide/

South and West of NYC -
New Jersey - http://www.state.nj.us/travel/

Old Oct 23rd, 1999, 07:05 PM
Lisa

How about the Catskill mountains, about 2 hours north of NYC? Woodstock is a very pretty village with some quaint shops and art galleries. There is beautiful mountain scenery along Rte 23 to Windham, including a 5 state view from Lookout Point. The Catskills lie west of the Hudson River.

Old Oct 24th, 1999, 04:56 AM
howard

While we have many, many beautiful sights north of NYC in the Hudson Valley, at that time of the year, you're probably better off staying the additional two days in the city. There's certainly more than enough to do and see any time of the year.
It's cold and not conducive to outdoor sightseeing. Come back in a warmer season and there'll be lots to recommend.
However, if you are intent on going out of the city, then rent a car and drive north along the Hudson. FDR's home in Hyde Park is certainly worth a visit. Plus there are many other restorations, etc., worth seeing. In addition to the previous poster's websites for Putnam and Dutchess Counties, try these:
hvnet.com
hudsonvalley.com
They'll both be very helpful.

Old Oct 24th, 1999, 09:26 AM
Emily Connolly

Mystic, Connecticut would be a good choice I think - about 3 hours from the city. Small town feeling and plenty to see and do in 2 days. The waterfront can be pretty also at this time of year. Good luck.

Old Oct 24th, 1999, 01:55 PM
steve

Barry,
I live at the Jersey Shore only an hour from Manhattan. Depending on what you enjoy, you can take a nice 1 1/2 hour drive down the parkway to Long Beach Island it's pretty and quiet in the winter. You can continue another half hour to Atlantic City if you please or drive another half hour to Cape May which is quite nice with a few excellent B&B's. All within 2 1/2 hours from NYC.

Mystic, Conn. and Essex, Conn. are really nice places to visit and drive around in the winter too.
Have fun!

Old Oct 24th, 1999, 03:28 PM
Karen

We took a Grayline Bus Tour that I would not recommend....NYC to the Vanderbilt Mansion and FDR's home in Hyde Park. It was a long drive with one stop for passengers who wanted a day-long shopping spree at a huge outlet mall and then onto Hyde Park. We got there around 11a.m. and were finished before 3p.m. and sat around until 6:30p.m. when the bus arrived to return us to NYC via the outlet mall to pick up the shoppers. It was a long day with a lot of wasted time...if we had known, we never would have taken the tour and stayed in the city to continue doing all the great places offered by a terrific city.

Old Oct 25th, 1999, 06:49 AM
jt

I agree with the previous poster who said it will be very cold and you should stay in the city, as there will be plenty to keep you busy there, and if you want the feel of the country you have only to go to Central or Prospect Parks or up to the New York Botanic Gardens in the Bronx. If you want to see a small town, you could even go to City Island in the Bronx, but I would advise against it-it's way overrated and contrary to the hype, the seafood there is no good IMO.

However, it looks like you are coming from abroad and want to see a part of American that is more representative than cosmopolitan NYC. (In which case better to save Boston for another trip.) So, I'd suggest the Berkshires/Litchfield County, straddling the Massachusetts/Connecticut border. You'll really need to rent a car for that, but I'm assuming that's already in your plans. There's a great inn in Salisbury CT, the White Hart, plus a fabulous teahouse/restaurant, Chaiwalla, plus a world-reknowned tea maker, Harney & Sons, where you can do a tasting. If you like to hike or cross-country ski, there's plenty of places to do so, including a stretch of the Appalaichan trail with gorgeous views from the Lion's Head at the top. Nearby you can visit Edith Wharton's home, The Mount, and scuptor Daniel Chester French's home and studio, Chesterwood. Stockbridge MA is, I think, the biggest of the towns there: cute, really a little too cute. The Red Lion Inn is the big lodging there, there's plenty of good restaurants and the Norman Rockwell Museum (how's that for a taste of Americana?). If you want to stay at a luxurious spa, Canyon Ranch is one of the most famous in the US. If you want a more spartan experience, try the yoga-centered "spa", Kripalu. Be sure to drive to Litchfield, CT, for one of the most classically beautiful New England Village greens around. If you want to watch car races, go to Lime Rock. There's a restaurant in Norfolk (where you can climb Haystack Mt. if you're so inclined) with hundreds of different beers. I've also heard that the Inn at Lake Waramug, a bit farther south than Litchfield, is wonderful, but I have no first-hand experience. All are no more than 3 hours from the city (barring horrific weather and/or traffic) and the drives are beautiful, past farms and rolling hills, picturesque scenes of cows and horses and sheep. If there's fresh snow, it'll be breathtaking. If not, a little barren. In any event, these are very attractive representatives for New England and the area is very welcoming to tourists; a search on line should net you plenty of info. Enjoy!

Old Oct 25th, 1999, 07:54 AM
lola

Agree with previous posting that CT is beautiful, but you don't need to go that far--just an hour or so away from NYC. Don't know if you have a car or not, but either way, you can find small towns in northern Westchester, Dutchess, and Rockland counties. Hudson river towns, such as Tarrytown, Garrison, Cold Spring, and Rhinebeck are all quaint and filled with B&Bs, antique shops and good restaurants. You could visit several nearby great old houses, such as Washington Irving's Sunnyside, Boscabel, the Vanderbilt mansion, Hyde Park (some close in winter-check ahead). But I agree, forget a bus tour; you'd need a car for this. Trains could get you to Tarrytown or Peekskill, and you can cab or rent a car on site. Going to a park in the city just is not the same.

Old Oct 25th, 1999, 12:42 PM
howard

Adding to my previous post about going to the Hudson Valley, I would rent a car. It's a simple drive and would be much more convenient and hassle free than taking public transportation.
As for the orevious post about taking a bus to Hyde Park, she is probably referring to Woodbury Common, a huge and very popular (with locals and tourists) outlet mall, which needs a day, in itself, to cover! I would agree that a bus is not the way to go north to the Hudson Valley. Four hours is not enough time for that area. Repeating my comment: Rent a car.

Old Oct 28th, 1999, 05:38 PM
Bev

Stockbridge at the Red Lion is very nice at this time of year. Normna Rockwell's Museum is great and their are two neat little towns nearby to visit and shop in. It,s a real piece of Americana. Rent a car.

Old Oct 28th, 1999, 06:25 PM
kathy

I live in Connecticut and any of the trips mentioned to the Berkshires, up the Hudson, Litchfield County are great day trips. You can find good antiquing, art, museums, foods and beautiful scenery. Just check the tourist boards.

Old Oct 28th, 1999, 06:56 PM
howard

Some of you aren't reading the original posting carefully. Barry is coming in January! Some of your suggestions apply today, but not 2 1/2 to 3 months from now.

Old Oct 29th, 1999, 06:33 AM
edie

How about seeing the hudson valley and staying at Mohonk Mountain house? it's a huge old victorian type place, with meals included and with a car you could drive around the are. Plus, they have lots of activities in the winter like ice skating, sleigh rides, etc.

Old Nov 9th, 1999, 02:34 AM
Barry

Thankyou everyone for your replies. There is quite a lot of info for us to consider!

Old Nov 10th, 1999, 12:58 PM
Zeidel

Definitely go to the Berkshires, which is not only beautiful but has great cultural offerings, cute towns, shopping, skiing and restaurants and absolutely no crowds. It's 2 1/2 hours from Manhattan to Great Barrington in the Berkshires.

Old Nov 10th, 1999, 12:58 PM
Zeidel

Definitely go to the Berkshires, which is not only beautiful but has great cultural offerings, cute towns, shopping, skiing and restaurants and absolutely no crowds. It's 2 1/2 hours from Manhattan to Great Barrington in the Berkshires.

Old Nov 10th, 1999, 06:43 PM
David

Here are my thought: Being January and not the height of tourist season, you should have no problem making last minute reservations or decisions. A lot of this depends on the weather; if it's snowing and super cold all this talk of driving up to the Catskills and the Berkshires is nonsense.IMO. One drive to consider is to go over the George Washington bridge and head north on the Palisades Parkway. West Point Military Acadamy is along the Hudson about an hour north of the city. It is a beautiful location and possibly interesting to you. As other posts have mentioned there are beautiful small towns scattered in the Catskills, I'm not sure if there is much going on at that time of year though.