Reload this Page >

Day trip to St. Augustine and Savannah

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 1999, 07:58 AM
Gail

Any suggestions on what not to miss in St. Augustine, FL or Savannah, GA on a day trip?

Old Jul 20th, 1999, 08:43 AM
Anne

In St. Augustine there are trlley tours you can take that go all around the historic district and you can get on and off at any point. You can get tickets at the visitors center along with lots of other information. It is centrally located accross from the old fort on the river. The historic area is wonderful and has narrow streets with little shops, pubs, etc. Have fun!

Old Jul 20th, 1999, 01:28 PM
leila

Glad you're going to Savannah, my favorite recent "find." Be sure to see the movie or read the book "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil." Then go by the Mercer House (it's a private house, no tour) and the surrounding park areas. We had a spectacular meal in The Pink House. Be aware that the city is designed around several parks, all breathtakingly lovely, but the nearer to the waterfront the more "historical." Nice walking along the restored waterfront area -- shops, boat rides, etc.

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 04:07 PM
steve

Savannah is a lovely city. Stop at the tourist information center and get maps and information on tours, etc. There are a variety of tours- some are general interest and some more specialized. Read "The book" mentioned previously-the movie is not so great. A fun place to eat is Lady and Sons in the City Market area-good Southern food. There are several historic homes open to the public and they are worth a look. Afternoon tea at Gryphon is a nice thing to do as well.

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 05:41 PM
Chris Davison

Check out Ripley's Believe It Or Not in Saint Augustine, as well as the Fountain of Youth. Saint Augustine has some of the best beaches around, and the MillTop Tavern is the perfect place to unwind at the end of the day.
--Chris

Old Jul 22nd, 1999, 05:12 AM
martha python

In Savannah, you've got to eat at Mrs. Wilkes boarding house (I assume it's still there, I think on Jones Street). Many many years ago, we took a walking tour of haunted Savannah. The guide told a lot of ghost stories, but even if you'r enot into those, it gave a good history of the city--when houses were built, who used to live there, etc.