day trip to Rome

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 05:06 AM
joe

day trip to Rome

remember me? I'm the one who left the Europe forum. We have one day to spend in Rome. We can either take the Vatican tour or the Ancient Rome tour as we obviously have not time to do both. As I'm not particularly religious we are thinking of going on the Andcient Rome tour. Am I maybe making a mistake? What would you advise?

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 05:36 AM
loved italy

I think you would enjoy either one, however, if you are art lovers, you may want to choose the Vatican tour. Both would be wonderful though, and I don't believe you would be disappointed by either. Why only one day in Rome, what a shame!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 05:39 AM
Dumbass

Rome, New York is a lovely town I think you will enjoy it very much! Because of its charm and location, I would suggest spending all of your time there, so take the ancient Rome tour, where you will learn about the local cultures that existed in the area before the arrival of the Europeans. Enjoy!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 06:10 AM
ciao

Well, at least we know how Dumbass got his name.

Anyway, I'd probably go for the Vatican tour. The Ancient tour is OK -- the highlight is the Colsm. But there's a lot to see in the Vatican, whether or not you're resligious. As another poster mentioned, the Vatican tour is heavy on art, if that's your interest.

You'll probably enjoy either one.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 08:03 AM
Jane

I am not religious, but was absolutely in awe with the Vatican. Incredible.
Get there early (8am?) to line up. DON'T wear shorts or bare shoulders. (my hubby was turned away the first day we went there). You could spent a few hours there and then go over to the Forum area and wander through and have a look around. I seem to recall it closed at around 5pm or 6pm? It is interesting to see, but not as spectacular as the Vatican, in my opinion.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 08:20 AM
Les

Hey, ciao!
Dumbass got it right. This is a United States forum!
Why don't you arrange to meet Joe on the Europe forum, where you can talk about the other Rome till the cows come home?

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 09:15 AM
joe

thanks for the advice. I'm beginning to think we should visit the Vatican. How could I possibly visit Rome and NOT see it!!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 10:57 AM
rny

Rome, New York is truly a historic city.

I'd recommend visiting the old B-52 at Griffiss Park, site of the now decommissoned Griffiss Air Force Base. You can visit Fort Stanwix, a very important Revolutionary Fort that is kept fully intact and updated. Also I recommend going to see Fort Rickey Petting Zoo where you can feed birdseed to a llama and run away from the herd of roughly 100-200 feral goats.

After you're done you can cruise on over to Sylvan Beach - but don't forget your 6 pack of Busch and your muscle T!

Enjoy!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 11:01 AM
Luke

Rome,New york? Never heard of it!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 11:03 AM
rny

Stop by Utica on the way home!

The Corn Hill section is truly sublime!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 01:44 PM
Its

Please, folks, help Joe out on this forum.The European forum is so much better without him!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 02:34 PM
states with Rome

Curious--any other states have a "Rome"? Wisconsin has one--we would drive through each week on our way to visit the family farm.

Been to Italy and (if you really don't have time to do both) I'd suggest the Vatican tour. It covers both history and art. I don't believe you need to be religious to appreciate the impact Christianity has had on world history. You can always walk around the Colosseum, the Forum, the Pantheon, etc.

A side note: I don't remember which Church we were visiting but our guide pointed out the "recycled" gold used on the ceiling. The gold was "plunder" from S. America.