Day trip to Napa Valley from San Francisco

Old May 29th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trip to Napa Valley from San Francisco

Hi,

My husband and I are planning a 12 day trip to the West Coast (San Fran - San Diego) and planning on going for a day trip to Napa Valley while we're in San Fran.

We're under a bit of confusion as to whether to drive up there (we will be renting a car throughout our trip) or book an excursion. I looked into some excursions and from what i found, a group shuttle trip costs about $100 a person plus the cost of wine tasting ($40 if visiting 4 wineries) - which sounds pretty steep to me!

We're not sure which would be best to do. We'd ideally like to keep it on a budget, but at the same time don't want to be driving there if it is not advisable/ makes the journey too hectic.

Could someone please recommend some cheaper options for day excursions / suggest a good / easy driving route itinerary for visiting some of the wineries?

We will be visiting Napa Valley on the day of my 30th birthday and we definitely do not want it to be hectic- so a fun and easy itinerary suggestion would be great!
Old May 29th, 2012, 07:43 AM

That is a steep price. Virtually all wineries in the Napa Valley charge for wine tasting, the amount depends on what you choose to taste.

I'd drive. Take 101 North to Highway 37 West. Take the 121 North and turn right on Highway 12. You're there in about 1 1/2 hours. Sonoma Valley is closer, and you'll pass by the turnoff on the way to Napa.

Try this for wineries to go to. http://napavalley.com/wineries/

You'll also find maps and restaurants on this website.
Old May 29th, 2012, 07:59 AM

I agree. Better to drive yourself. Also that will give you more options for stopping when you want where you want.
Old May 29th, 2012, 01:03 PM

I prefer to drve and pick my wineries and be able to spend the amount of time I want at reach rather than a fixed schedule.
However, you could probably do better, cost wise, by arranging for a limo service to pick you up in Napa/Sonoma. Find a hotel that does't charge for parking, leave your car there for the day and meet the limo drive in the lobby.
If you decide to drive, the above poster has a good idea to9 take the turn to the Sonoma Valley rather than Napa. I find Sonoma a little less hectic than Napa and still lots of outstanding wines. Easy drive.
Old May 29th, 2012, 03:18 PM

One other major suggestion. Don't go on a weekend day.

There are only 2 north - souths roads. One is Highway 29, and the other is the Silverado Trail. The ST will be clogged with bicyclists riding in herds.

29 is bad enough, but really clogged on the weekends.
Old May 29th, 2012, 03:31 PM

People who want to drink take tours. People who don't drink - drive.
Old May 29th, 2012, 03:46 PM

beware of sneaky cops that are subject to pull over wine-tasters that have tasted one too many samplings of wine.
Old May 30th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much! I think I really want to visit Napa rather than Sonoma.. just because of preference, eventhough I agree the drive is a bit longer.

I've looked into it a bit further and am thinking of visiting just 2 wineries (kenzo estate for wine tasting and lunch and then Domaine Cerneros for some wine tasting)and keeping the trip more about quality than quantity! Any other suggestions?

I think we will keep the driving option as well, but will look into the limo service. Any ideas where to look for the limo service?

Also, we are travelling on a weekday- Thursday, so hoping traffic wouldn't be too bad!
Old Jun 7th, 2012, 08:29 PM

you need to think about how much you will be drinking. You would be amazed how you can bet a buzz on by wine tasting. I would def. have a designated driver. My husband and I often share a tasting so that one of us is not drinking that much plus we saave some money. It is nice to stay the night if possible.....
Old Jun 8th, 2012, 09:59 PM

Neither Kenzo Estate or Domaine Carneros are really in the Napa Valley. You might want to drive up to Rutherford or St. Helena at least to see what the Valley looks like.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 01:36 AM

Another option is to take the ferry over to Marin - and then hook up with a tour that goes from there. Much less expensive - and again, you dont risk getting a big ticket/fine for drinking and driving. (Well, properly - it's driving under the influence - but if they do ticket you - it's just a hassle to beat it even if you don't think you were over the limit, impaired, etc. )

A "deuce" (named for the code section) can cost a lot to defend, and some of my law school classmates do quite well financially while assisting people with their "misfortune".
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 05:14 AM

My suggestion is to eat FIRST. Get there in time for lunch and either picnic or eat at a Restaurant. Plenty to choose from. Start your wine tasting on a full stomach and be careful if you eat desert - I once had key lime pie at Rutherford Grill and then went to BV. Blech! Take some snacks such as salted nuts, cheese and crackers, and chocolate! Plan dinner before you drive back. Bring bottled water and hydrate. You don't have to drink every drop poured for you either. Especially if you don't like it.

I would not take a tour because I might not like the wineries they pick and what about eating?

The scenery is beautiful - you can spend loads of time taking pictures - or just drive around the valley. We like to go up the main road, wine taste, stop at St. Helena, walk around, cut over to the Silverado Trail and drive back down.
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 05:55 AM

OK, just looked up Kenzo Estate because I hadn't heard of it. Looks like it is off Silverado Trail:

http://www.kenzoestate.com/The-Winery/Map

I'm sure you realize you need a reservation to taste there. If your reservation is early, you could go to Napa (city) first and eat something before going to the estate. After the tasting head up the Silverado Trail. You can stop at wineries and take pictures or look around without tasting (you know).

Looks like you turn off of Silverado Trail onto 121, Monticello Road, to get there. If you were to continue up Silverado Trail to Soda Canyon Road, you could stop and have lunch at the Soda Canyon Deli first. They have a picnic area and then it wouldn't be that far back to 121 to go to the winery. There are many many options. If you want others, start a new thread on where in eat in Napa.

After your wine tasting at Kenzo, continue up the Silverado Trail stopping at some of the pretty wineries - Darioush is quite unusual and beautiful. Tasting is expensive but looking is free. Cut over on Pope St. or Pratt Ave. to 29 and turn south. Stop in St. Helena and walk around. Several places to eat there. Continue on South to Domaine Chandon. Which incidentally also has a restaurant. Don't miss Yountville. We like to eat at Michael Chiarello's Botega Restaurant. He also has a Napa Style Store there (I used to work at the one in Los Gatos).

http://botteganapavalley.com/index.html

Bouchon in Yountville is another good one. Two good places for a birthday dinner.

Did you know Mumm Napa has a tasting room on Silverado Trail? You will drive right past it.

An excellent guide to Napa Valley is The Preiser Key. You can pick up a paper copy at many wineries but here is a link to their website.

http://www.preiserkey.com

Have a Happy Birthday!
Old Jun 9th, 2012, 06:17 AM

Hey - you could also stay in Calistoga and take a mud bath. Here is one place and there are others. http://www.goldenhaven.com/spatreat.html