Napa day trip from Healdsburg

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sister and I are staying in Healdsburg for several nights in April and planning a day trip over to Napa on Thursday, April 14 to do some wine tasting, shopping, and probably have a nice lunch somewhere. We traveled to Napa from Healdsburg last year, but our primary destination was lunch at The French Laundry, and other than some light shopping in St. Helena and Yountville we really just drove south to the town of Napa after lunch and then took the Silverado Trail north and then back to Healdsburg, without stopping at any wineries.

We've narrowed down our list of wineries to Sterling, Pride Mountain, Domaine Chandon and Hess. We've visited many wineries and know how wine and champagne are made so we're not really interested in doing any major tours. I've looked at their websites and at this point we've decided not to do any specialty tours, just a basic tasting. I'm trying to decide what order to see them in, and if we'll have enough time to stop at all of them and still have a leisurely day and time to stop in between to shop, etc . . . if we see something interesting. Should we plan 30 minutes per winery, or is that not enough time? I'd also like to stop at the Oxbow Public Market in Napa but could leave that out if necessary.

Does it make more sense to zig-zag across the valley, and head back to Healdsburg through Sonoma? Or should we plan on heading down route 29 and then back north on Silverado Trail as we did last year? Another option I got from Google maps takes me from Healdsburg down 101 to Mark Springs Road, then to Sterling, on to Napa via Silverado Trail, then to Hess, Domaine Chandon, and Pride, in that order, and from there back to 101 and north to Healdsburg.

Where we plan lunch depends on which route we take. As far as the wineries we chose, we've done some research and just landed on those but there is not one that we absolutely have to see. Also, one of my friends insists that we have to have lunch at Etoile at Domaine Chandon. If it's a must I can factor that into our plan, but I'm sure we'd be happy at any number of restaurants in the area.

We're a little late in our planning due to an illness in the family so I'd like to finalize things as soon as possible in case we need to make advance reservations. Any thoughts on our plan so far?
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 07:38 PM

Have you looked at heading out of Healdsburg
west on Alexander Valley Rd and connecting onto
Hwy 128 and them down into the Napa Valley.
It's quite secnic. A stop into the Jimtown Store
http://www.jimtown.com/
may provide you with inspiration for a picnic another day.

You can go down to the Mark West Exit as well,
but why not make that your return trip ?

I think it's fine to go down valley on Hwy 29
and then back up the valley on the Silverado Trail.
Sterling has pretty awful wine.
How about substituting Chateau Montelena,
http://www.montelena.com/
or
Clos Pegase,
http://www.clospegase.com/

I wouldn't head back to Healsdburg through the town of Sonoma
unless you want to see the town of Sonoma, maybe walk around the square. I'd do that first, then go over to Napa.
The traffic up around Santa Rosa is no picnic in the
afternoon commute.

R5
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 07:52 PM

The best thing about Sterling is the view from the top. not the wines.
If you want to see Sonoma and walk the square it's afun visit. As razzledazzle suggests, go there en route to Napa. Between Sonoma and Napa are a couple of good stops with great views, Domain Carneros and Artesa, good wines too! Also Nickelson Ranch.
We enjoyed Etoile at Chandon....better, IMO, for lunch than dinner.
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick replies! Sterling made the list primarily for the view but I admit I assumed the wines would be decent. We may need to rethink that and possibly substitute Chateau Montelena as suggested by razzledazzle. As far as Sonoma I was thinking of returning that route if it was the best use of time, which it sounds like it's not due to traffic. We were on the square in Sonoma for a short time last year, and we would like to get to the Girl and the Fig this trip, but probably not that day if we lunch in Napa somewhere like Etoile.
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 08:57 AM

I enjoy Hess for its location. The views are nice, especially if you head next door to Mont LaSalle Monastery. I am not fond of the Hess wines. But they do have an interesting film and a nice art collection. I do want to let you know that this winery is off the beaten path. I think it might take you about 20 - 30 minutes to drive up the mountain from Hwy 29 when you take the Redwood Road exit. The road is slow and windy, and some visitors are uncomfortable with that.
If you enjoy that type of driving (I do), you could also do a loop back to Oakville by continuing up the mountain on Mount Veeder Road which then connects to Oakville Grade. Turn right, and head back down to the Napa Valley and Hwy 29. Fabulous view on the downgrade.
OR turn left at Oakville Grade and head over to Hwy 12 in Sonoma Valley (I think it becomes Trinity Rd. in this direction). This will put you close to Kenwood on Hwy 12. This route is extremely windy but an impressive drive if you like this sort of thing.
My husband says it will take 25 minutes to drive the Oakville Grade from Oakville to Hwy 12.
Just a little extra information for you.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 08:10 PM

Oakville grade can make one very car sick... esp. the passenger. I'd go #128 through the Alexander Valley and back over Mark West Springs. But why go to Napa at all? Everything you want is in the Healdsburg area..
Old Mar 28th, 2011, 01:46 PM

"But why go to Napa at all? Everything you want is in the Healdsburg area."

These Healdsburg types are a piece of work, eh!

Some people find the drive from Oakville to Kenwood a highlight of their trip. You would know best if a drive of this sort would suit you or your party. It probably is out of your way though.

I'd skip Hess and anything south of Yountville for this particular trip. Save it for another time. In fact, I'd maybe skip Yountville too. Come down Hwy 29 to Rutherford or Oakville and then go over to the Trail and back up to Calistoga. There's more than enough wineries there to keep you busy. Substitute Castello di Amoroso for Sterling and Mumm for Chandon. And dine at one of Cindy Pawlcyn's places in St. Helena or Solage in Calistoga.