Day Trip to Maryland for Crab from DC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are going to be in DC the first week of October. We are interested in going to Maryland to have crab. How far is the drive? Is there a train that we could take? Where do we get the crab and how is it cooked usually (Maryland style)? We have never been to the east coast before.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 03:47 PM

Lets start by saying you do not "eat crab". You eat crabssssssss. They are out of season however you can eat crab cakes ( or other crab based dishes) any time. Eating crabs is more of a social event than dietary experience. Crab cakes are much nicer to have as a meal. You can get decent crab cakes in DC. Not the best but passable. The "safe bet " is to try Phillips resturante, one in DC and one in Balto. Drive to Annapolis is 45 minutes in non-rush hour. You can take the train to Balto. If you are the adventurous type you can get recomendations from pretty much any one (bellman, cab drive, etc,etc,) as to where their favorite place is.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 03:58 PM

Do a search of this site. This subject has been discussed several times before. I'm sorry you will not be here when they are 'in season.' Moose is right; eating crabs is more a social event than a meal; but a glorious social event. In lieu of Maryland style crabs (steamed and spiced with Old Bay seasoning) you might try my favorite crab dish (second only to steamed), crab imperial. Many restaurants also serve a very fine crab dip.
Old Dec 28th, 2005, 06:06 PM

In October, hard crabs will still be in season and actually at their largest. It is true that most people eat them mostly in the summer, however. It's just a weird cultural thing.

Do NOT go to any of the Phillips chain, however. Their crabcakes have NO Maryland blue crabmeat in them. Phillip's crab cakes are 100% asian crabs which don't taste nearly as good as blue crabs.

Here is the absolute best resource for who has the "good stuff". You MUST call (preferbly a day ahead) to make sure they will be open. Many crab houses have different hours: some only open certain months of the year, others only on weekends, etc. Call ahead. I have been to many of these and the "recommended" ones are spot on. My favorite is Drift Inn. Call them (as you should any crab house) to make sure they will be open during your visit.

http://www.blue-crab.org/crabhouses.htm
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 08:13 AM

As much as I hate to make the lines any worse, I'll offer my favorite: Jimmy Cantler's outside of Annapolis (which is worth a visit anyway).

Forget Phillips' corporate, imported crab.

Blue crabs are served steammed with Old Bay seasoning, you usually buy by the dozen and get a quick lesson in how to ``pick'' them. You usually eat at tables covered in paper and are given a wooden mallet (don't overuse).

Cantler's is wonderful, it's on the water with its own pier and a dumb waiter that brings the bushels up to the kitchen. If it's a late warm Oct. spell they might open up the patio.

It's not fancy, but it's a classic place for crab -- well worth a one-day car rental (which BTW is easy to do -- take the Metro to National.)
Old Dec 29th, 2005, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the education re "crabsssss." Sounds like we can make it in one day. Thanks for your responses.