Day Trip To Cannon Beach

Search

Day Trip To Cannon Beach

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day Trip To Cannon Beach

Taking advantage of our unseasonably warm weather, the kids and I headed over to the coast yesterday. DH had work to do, so we took the dog with us instead

Driving from our SW Portland suburb home, it was 87 miles to Cannon Beach and took us 1 hour and 40 minutes via hwy 26. The speed limit is 55 most of the way, with a few areas being 50 mph.

It was an absolutely gorgeous day at the coast! The kids wanted to start by hitting their favorite shops along Hemlock Street. Since we had our Golden Retriever with us, the kids would go inside the shops while I took advantage of the many benches and sat in the sun. Our dog was in heaven as this town is very dog friendly and she had many people come play with her.

I do not know the name of one store, but the kids love to go there and buy various shells and rocks. After that was Bruce's Candy for some taffy and then Cannon Beach Bakery for a loaf of Haystack bread to take home.

Shopping was out of the way, so then it was beach time. We rented fun cycles down at the Family Fun Cycle shop (1160 S Hemlock near the Surfsand and Cannon Beach Hotel. The rate is only $10 for 90 minutes. The fun cycles are a 3 wheel recumbant style bike. We always have fun doing this, but usually my dh rides and watches the dog at the same time. I tried that yesterday, but have no idea how he manages to do that so well, lol!

We returned the bikes when we were done, retrieved our picnic stuff that we brought with us, and headed back to the beach. After getting all the towels and everything set up we played in the sand and the water, and just relaxed for the rest of the afternoon. The day looked like a nice day in July or August, except everyone was carrying their parkas yesterday. I did have to call dh and let him know what he was missing

The sun was out, not a cloud in the sky, just a touch of wind (just enough for a few kites), and the beach was filled with people.

Before we left for home we stopped at Ecola Seafood Market and got a couple crabs to take home for dinner.

On the way home there is a spot that has a great view of Mt. St. Helens and as we were passing by we could see a small plume of ash or steam. Later that night we heard about it on the news as well.

Arrived home with crab and bread, so just had to break out a bottle of wine and dinner was ready. Although dh missed the outing, he was glad that we brought home a nice dinner for him.

Last weekend we were snowshoeing and getting lots of snow dumped on us, and then a week later basking in the sun at the beach.

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 11:33 AM

Oh boy, this is the stuff that I need to read to the Yankee to get him excited about going back to Portland
Thanks mms..
What exactly is a Haystack bread? shaped like the rock?
Amazing how good the weather is, it is chilly at the beach here ~
Glad you were able to clock the trip, since there always seems to be confusion on the subject.
What is the weather today? as warm? or snowing
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 11:43 AM
Kal

...tick...tick....tick...... O
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 11:47 AM

Kal
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:32 PM
Original Poster

LOL Kal! Trust me...thats what I was thinking when I wrote this.

Scarlett--Yes, the bread is supposed to resemble the rock. They tried to call it Puffin Bread a while back due to the Puffin birds. Everyone knew it as Haystack bread though so they changed the name back. It is beautiful here again today! Course you know me...snow would be very welcome
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 12:45 PM
Kal

Aloohaaaa...

WHO ME?

I wonder how long your travel time would have been by broom?

Believe it or not, Mrs Kal has a SoWest ticket to use before June so we are thinking of a June trip up to Portland and maybe hit the wineries east/north of town....or hit the OreCoast, soooo....you are warned!!!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Kal--plan it with Scarlett! We are really close to the wineries (but they are SW of the city). Maybe we could get the other locals from here rounded up as well.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 01:12 PM
Kal

Sounds muy bueno!

But, would you guys be ready for both me AND Ms Scarlett in the same town together?

I'm sure a lot of the "Original Wine-O Gangstahs" would make a trip up, too.

Now...anybody have any good hotel suggestions for Portland? :-"
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 01:24 PM

Relax-it's just me....
I want to come to Portland with
Kal and Scarlett and drink lots of wine
with the locals.

tick.....tick....tick....
any broom sightings yet ?

R5
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

R5--there is always room for you too!

As a matter of fact...i did see several things fly by me yesterday on the highway. I think they were cars, but they could have been brooms too. They were going too fast for me to see! I really didn't appreciate being passed though on the blind curves
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 01:34 PM

Geez mms-send us some sunshine!
I was walking downtown on Sat. eve
and passed a youngin' on a cell phone
who said "It's NOT raining in Portland-
it's pouring here!"
Yesterday it poured for 6 hours
non-stop !
Enough, the grapes will mold !

R5
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 01:49 PM

The Yankee was talking about going to Miami for a week to check it out...now I have to whisper in his ear while he sleeps...Portland Portland~~~ I would love to be there when the roses are blooming! I am sure the Yankee would love the wine-O part of it
I will see what we can do about this..
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Kal--How stupid do you think I am? lol! No way would I touch the hotel issue

R5--My dad lives in the east bay and was complaining about the rain to me today. I told him to send it this direction. Yes, I am one of those people who truly loves the rain, and being out in it, lol!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 04:47 PM

Poor razzle, I do hope you all get some sunshine!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 06:07 PM

Hey mms,

Must be the great minds thing again. We got back earlier this afternoon from a night at the coast. It was beautiful, wasn't it. Wonder if we bumped into eachother at Cannon Beach. We were in Bruce's too, and had lunch yesterday at Ecola Market; they make great fish and chips.

Since we stayed overnight in Gearhart, I thought I'd drive home via Astoria. Though we did find a decent bowl of chowder there, and the view from the Column was pretty spectacular, suffice it to say that I remember now why we've never spent much time there.

And, sorry kim, but Seaside too. Ten Tiny Tees and one ride on the bumper cars was about all I could take. My kids too. I really can't understand what they're trying to do with that town.
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 07:18 PM

After reading all of these discussions about Cannon Beach and other beaches, I am so glad we took the advice Portland friends gave us and spent our one beach day at Cannon, last Sept.
We were not disappointed although I did miss out on the Haystack bread
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Wow Beachbum, we probably did cross paths! The kids went into Bruce's, but I was on a bench at the building where the Cannon Beach Bakery is. If you saw a lady with a Golden Retriever who was getting attention from tons of people, that was me, lol! I went into the seafood market by myself though.

The day before we went, I told the kids we could go to Astoria, Seaside or CB. It was their pick. Both said CB right away. I was relieved, lol!

DH downloaded the pcitures tonight and was really envious when he saw just how nice it was there.

Scarlett--Tell the Yankee that you must return to taste this special bread, lol!
Old Feb 21st, 2005, 08:20 PM

I took a new toy along, and thought these might whet your appetite for the next time you're here, Scarlett.

http://www.pbase.com/smg9774/beach

Old Feb 21st, 2005, 08:25 PM

Oh beachbum, they are great ! The colors and so clear!
What kind of camera did you get

Thank you..tomorrow morning I will make him sit down and look at them, remind him of how much we liked it there.
Old Feb 22nd, 2005, 07:26 AM
Original Poster

Wow Beachbum, those pictures are fantastic! I did have to look close at the one around Haystack Rock to see if we were in it though, lol! I didn't see anyone being drug along by a dog so you must have missed us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -