Search

Day trip on Northern Pacific Cost from Portland

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2019, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trip on Northern Pacific Cost from Portland

Hello,
Planning in first week of September been in Portland and we are planning day trip to Pacific coast. I think that if we will start from Netarts and going north up to Cannon beach and back to Portland could be enough. But need advise and suggestions where is best stops along of this coastal line.
We prefer to watch the Nature. Beaches, sea, some nice rocks. And next day we'd like to go rest of cost from cannon beach to Astoria. And maybe return from Astoria by different route. Of cause, difference scenario is stay night on Cannon beach and next night is in Astoria, Any suggestions welcome.
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 10:51 PM

Ecola State Park near Cannon Beach is a must if you enjoy nature.

Ecola State Park

There's hiking, beaching, and beautiful views. If you climb up to the overlook you can see Tillamook Head Lighthouse out in the water and hear the sea lions barking out there.

Also not too far from Netarts are Cape Mears and Cape Lookout. Cape Mears has a lighthouse and a walking trail to some beautiful ocean views. Great hiking trails and incredible views at Cape Lookout.

Further north from Cape Mears is Cape Falcon, which also has some incredible hiking as well as the best view of the Oregon coast from Neahkahnie Mountain. If you like rocks, Arch Cape is great and you can walk out to the sea rocks at low tide and they are covered with mussels and other sea critters.

This my favorite part of the Oregon coast. There's so much beauty and enjoyment. Have a lovely trip!

Last edited by jeverett; Jul 28th, 2019 at 10:56 PM.
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Wow! That's nice input. Really appreciate. Could you give me idea how much time need to spend there. I understand that it's very variable, but just some idea.
Thanks.
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 05:27 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Rather than two separate trips with a lot of fairly boring drives, if you could spend the night somewhere on the coast I think you'd have a better time of it.

I'd recommend that you follow the north shore of the Columbia River in at least one direction, and go as far as Ilwaco (WA) and Cape Disappointment at the river's mouth. Cape Disappointment State Park in Washington has a couple of lighthouses, terrific waves-on-rocks scenery, some hidden coves, a great Lewis and Clark interpretive center, and even its own Waikiki Beach. A loop including everything from Cape Mears, Ecola State Park, Astoria and Cape Disappointment would be very worthwhile. Map - https://goo.gl/maps/dNNhCgRFkUF7VfzG8

Cape Disappointment pictures (not mine)

Old Jul 29th, 2019, 05:37 AM

I agree with Everett's comments. One thing I would do though is reverse the trip and go north to south if your plans allow for that. The reason is many of the viewpoints/stops are on the ocean side, and so when you are getting back on the highway you will not have to cross traffic. Most of these places do not have stop lights, so it is safer to just make a right turn to get back onto the highway. Also, the passenger gets some great views during the drive.

The first week of September is still high season for the coast, so lodging will be limited. If you decide you want to stay over, make reservations now. Many places in CB have 2 to 3 night minimums, but call directly and ask as many times you can squeeze between other reservations. We do this a lot and have never had an issue, FWIW.
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 10:05 AM

Stay at the beach if you plan to go to the coast for two days. Hopefully this is a weekday you will be doing the overnight.

It will probably be tough to get a spot in Cannon. However, Astoria has hotels and that would be my first pick for your north-to-south two day trip. Google Maps or Booking.com should have them all.

Gearhart has a large condo property called Gearhart-by-the Sea that might have a last minute rental. Unlike Airbnb, the managers help owners with the rentals.

Most of us on this board aren't fond of Seaside compared to other coast towns, but they do have a lot of hotels. If I had to stay in Seaside, I'd stay away from the chaos of the boardwalk-- the Holiday Inn Express, Rivertide Suites or the Coast River Inn (which I know less about).
​​​​​​
I also wanted to ask how this beach trip fits into the rest of your plans. Are you thinking two day trips because you don't want to break up your lodgings? If you are flying, you could probably drive straight to the beach and start your vacation there.

Old Jul 31st, 2019, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks guys a lot!
you gave me really great suggestions! I'll try following them as much as i can.
Regarding my grand itinerary, it's here:
Arrival to Seattle, taking car and first stop is Sequim, 2 nights there, attending Olympic park, Madison falls, Elwha dam , some coastal trip.
1 night Mount Vernon, lake Diablo, Rainy Pass, 1 night Wenatchee, Portland 5 nights, Columbia river and nearby parks, waterfalls. some time spend in Portland.
2 days trips to west coastal. driving to st. hellen and than to Ashford. next day Mount Rainer, next day spend more time on Mount Rainer and come back to Seattle airport. We have very late fligt at 11 pm.
Welcome to make suggestion for whole itinerary.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 08:32 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Instead of Wenatchee, consider staying in Leavenworth. See either Mt. Rainier or Mt. St. Hellens - not both - while you are on the east side.
What do you want to see in Portland?
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 06:37 AM

pupchick--A few comments.

One is that the Elwah dam is no more. The road is also closed after Madison Falls. Honestly, I would skip Sequim totally. It is not a good location for seeing anything in ONP. Port Angeles is the town to stay in, but for just one night, to stat seeing ONP. ONP is spread out so much that you really need at a minimum two different locations to stay, preferably three. If you share what you are hoping to see, we can give better suggestions. All that said, you are very late for planning for getting lodging. Summer tourism is a short season for ONP and there are just not that many places and they book up far in advance. So at this point I would find what is available and work around that.

Are you talking about hiking at Rainy Pass or just driving that direction?

What are you planning to do with a stay in Wenatchee?

I would not do 5 nights in Portland. I would do three, which would allow for a day trip to the gorge, a day trip to the coast, and a day for Portland itself. Take the extra two days and use those to allow for time at Mt St Helens and Mt Rainier. Do not try to do both of these in one day. Rainier deserves at least two days minimum, IMO.
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 07:32 AM

MMS gives good advice. I have done a day at Mount Rainier and it was far too short.

​​​​​​But the other way you could go is to let go of ONP. That national park has a lot of driving and no single place to stay that gets you to all of its highlights.

That would allow you more time for Mount Rainier or Portland/the coast.

By the way, if you can't find lodgings for Rainier closer, the Thousand Trails Chehalis has cabins. They are simple but okay.
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 07:45 AM

5alive--I was thinking the same thing, to skip ONP on this trip to allow for more time in other areas.

pupchikc--Look to the little town of Ashford for lodging. Lots of great options. We usually do a cabin there, but have also enjoyed stays at Whittakers. It isn't fancy, but well kept and well regarded. We are staying there again in a couple weeks.
Old Aug 4th, 2019, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Hi Guys!
Big thanks and appreciation for your responses.
Our itinerary is creating my wife, some lodging points have been chosen as necessary for longevity of driving and as some economic considerations, such as Sequim vs. Port Angeles. We know now that some places in ONP are closed or even not exist anymore(Elhwa dam), I took some old notices and put them into previous message.
Wenatchee is good place on the way and we are planning to went through some waterfalls and lakes, and it's cute town. We are staying in Portland 5 days as some good hub for day trips. Maybe it's not perfect solution and we eed to spend more time on driving but less time on packing and unpacking(it's real issue for us '
We will not do St.Hellens and Mt. Rainer in same day and we will stay in Ashford. We are still working on itinerary. Will bring it later, if you do not hate me yet for bothering.
Old Aug 4th, 2019, 09:30 PM

There's a lot of choices and a lot of miles to cover in this part of the country. Sounds like you are progressing in your plans. Check back when you have refined your itinerary.
Old Aug 24th, 2019, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Hello guys!
Sorry for long silent but I was so busy on my work that can't even look on my itinerary. But now I have just rest of today and tomorrow before our trip will start.
I did some research for cost and find out following points of interest.

Cape Lookout State Park
Netarts
Cape Meares,
Tolovana Beach
Rockaway Beach
Brighton
Cape Falcon
Hug Point
Oswald State Park
Cannon Beach
Indiana Beach

Looks like a lot for 1-2 days trip. I read that some of that places are just small fisherman cities with chance of good and fresh seafood.
But my general concern is if all of them or some of them could be so attractive with high tide. Because looks like in our time there Aug 31 - Sep 3, low tides are in early on the morning or late night. We will not be able come there early or late. And therefore my question is which one of that places still deserve to explore. We are not looking for beach as swimming. We are looking for nice views, pictures with rocks, caves, waterfalls. I meant just nature attract us, food is secondary but good lunch or even dinner maybe late night could be good too. And I'm planning it to do in 2 separate days but it will be from Portland (sorry do not asking why from there, it can't be change). Just thinking for one day to add to it Astoria.
Maybe I'm crazy but just would like to know my options. Thanks as always. Wait your help ASAP.
Tillamook Rock Lighthouse View Point

Old Aug 24th, 2019, 04:19 PM

I’m sure I’ve been to all of your spots at least once, but none stand out as exceptional. The coast is beautiful no matter where you go. “High tide” doesn’t last all day, tide is going in and out constantly so it really doesn’t affect your “see nature” idea. The only time I’d be worried about tide is if I specifically wanted to go tidepooling or sand dollar hunting. Tolovana park is a great beach any time, but the rocks aren’t accessible except at low tide.

i think you mean fishermen “villages” not “cities” although arguably the coast is less commercial fishing and more tourism these days. Look specifically for seafood markets or restaurants you find interesting, check hours. Yes, fresh fish in a lot of places, but it’s less easy to find than you’d expect. Some of the smaller towns, you’re more like to find pizza and burgers than fresh fish.

cannon beach itself is absolutely worth going to during high tide. It’s one of the more charming “villages”. Lots of pretty viewpoints, and shops to browse in.

terrible tilly is further out than most photographers make it look. If it’s a clear day you can see it, but if interested in history, I think one of its lenses is on exhibit at the Astoria maritime museum. Worth a visit in bad weather, and I think Astoria is actually one of those places that looks better in bad weather anyway.