Day Trip - Martha's Vinyard versus Nantucket

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2003, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family & I will be in the Boston area for two days and I thought about dedicating one of them to "the islands". Are we better off dedicating a full day (including transit times) to only one of the two or is there justification to try to hit both? The two "teens" and my wife & I thought about renting bikes on Nantucket while also allowing for shopping, eating and (for me) beverage time....

Your recommendations will be appreciated!
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 12:14 PM

Although I dont spend enough time on either Island to comment on your best pick - and while I suppose anything is possible...a day trip from Boston which includes both Islands is too much (unless maybe you're doing it by air....) Take a look at the ferry schedules at islandferry.com to get an idea of travel times, parking issues, etc. Depending upon the date/day of the week of your trip, travel time from Boston to either Woods Hole or Hyannis can be fairly variable - on a good day expect approximately 2 hours drive each way. A day trip to either Island is doable - enjoy you visit!
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 01:58 PM

You've got a number of variables to consider, not the least of which is the day of the week you're planning to do this. Much of the route driving down to Woods Hole or Hyannis can be jammed to a fairtheewell on summer Fridays or Saturdays. Ditto coming back on Sundays. Also, you need to add the time it'll take to find parking, park, and walk to the ferry.

That said, the trip to MV is shorter, thereby leaving you longer time on the island. HOWEVER, it's a bigger, generally more touristy island -- harder to see it "all." Trip to Nantucket is longer (check transit times on the ferry website) but things are more compact and a tad less frantically touristy there.

If it were me, I'd try to talk myself and family into getting up pretty early to make the trip to an earlier ferry and go all the way to Nantucket, considering the ferry ride a cheap "island cruise" and part of the fun.

Don't even try to do 2 islands, though.
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 06:50 PM

From years of trips to the Islands you can't do both in one day, or even one justice for that matter. You can fly in from logan and bypass all the ferrytime. Once on Islands you can rent a car at the airport and cruise around either island, if you choose to do this make a reservation in advance online and it is much less expensive.
My choice would be to got o Marth's vineyard if only for the obligatory BLAcK DOG tshirt. The Edgatwn section is great and a fabulous restaurant is called the NAvigator, great shops and beach front.
My husband would choose Nantuckett and it is a much smaller . From the ferry you can walk around, shop, eat and head up tot he whaler museum. Island is far more residential and a bit more sedate. You'll love either
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 07:11 PM

I highly endorse the flying option which you can do from Logan via Cape Air. I think the ferry to Nantucket is at least 4 hours and then 4 hours back.
I'd say both islands are a bit much for one day. Youngs is the first name in Nantucket bicycle rentals and they're right by the wharf.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 01:53 AM

Just reread your post - "will be in Boston area for 2 days". Depending on your family's interests, I would re-examine why you want to go to MV or Nantucket. First of all, what is Boston area? Will you be south of Boston - that would make the trip easier. If you are north of Boston, the Rockport area might be a choice that would allow ocean, shopping, biking. Are you in Boston area to see Boston or does that not matter.

Another vote for no way can you do 2 islands in one day. As far as one island, from Boston one would need to allow about 2 hours to get to ferry (it can be done a faster if no traffic, but traffic is unpredictable). Then there is a nice ferry ride over - about an hour - time on island, then reverse travels.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 02:04 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
To go to Nantucket, it is a quicker ferry ride from Hyannis than from Woods Hole. There is a fast ferry which takes about one hour and a regular ferry which takes about two hours each way, nowhere near four hours one way. However if you add in drive time from Boston and parking at the ferry, it makes it closer to that four hour estimate.
Old Jun 5th, 2003, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all who responded with comments/advice. Unless I suddenly win a state lottery, I've no choice but to eliminate the flight suggestions. As suspected, we may be better off with the "either/or" versus "both" and plan on driving to one of the mainland ports offering the shortest ferry times.

We're camping West of Boston - planning to allocate several days to several states. Just wanted to experience some of the best of MASS and thought the trip to one of the two islands worthy of the effort. Your comments seem to confirm that.

Many thanx.