Day trip from Portland to Seattle realistic?

Feb 25th, 2008, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Day trip from Portland to Seattle realistic?

We're going to be in Portland and and may not have time to stay overnight in Seattle, but is a day trip worth it? Obviously, we know we won't be able to see much, but maybe just to say we were there...drive around bit...take in a couple sites.

However, Mapquest says it's about 175 miles and 3 hours one way. That's six hours sitting in a car in one day and I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Thanks.
Feb 25th, 2008, 12:04 PM

I guess it depends how bad you want to see Seattle for a few hours. It would not be worth it to me.

It is a VERY boring non-scenic drive straight up/down I-5 and takes minimum 3 hours each way.
Feb 25th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Suze.

How's the drive on H6 from Tillamook back to Portland. Looks like it passes through the southern portion of Tillamook. Anything work seeing on that drive?
Feb 25th, 2008, 01:45 PM

Sorry, no idea. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

I just know because I drive I-5 Seattle/Portland a couple times a year since I'm in Seattle and my family is down in Corvallis area.
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:03 PM

I live in Portland, so have an obvious bias, but would agree with suze. I like Seattle Center, Pike Place Market and the waterfront, but not enough to do a day trip. Now, if the Mariners are playing.... ;-)

OR 6 from Tillamook to Portland is a nice 1.5 - 2 hour drive, paralleling the Wilson River a good part of the way. The best stop is probably the Tillamook Forest Center: http://www.tillamookforestcenter.org/. But, I also have a nostalgic attachment to Jones Creek, and several miles beyond that, there's a decent waterfall: http://www.pbase.com/smg9774/image/40203739. It'll be on your right side; look for a large gravel pullout/parking area.
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:07 PM

When are you talking about doing this? In summer, we have very long days.

I think it is worth it to drive 3 hours to Seattle if you have never been. You can see a lot in a day. You'd have to time the drive to miss rush hours.

You can also take a day trip to the coast quite easily. I'd go 26 to Canon Beach. See the town. Then down the coast to Tillamook and go on the Three Capes Loop and back up to Portland. It's a long but easily done day. You have time to visit the light house on the Three Capes loop, walk out on the dunes, stop at the Blue Heron Cheese place in Tillamook. The coast trip is about 1 1/2 hours of driving each way.
Feb 25th, 2008, 02:15 PM

You might think about the train - longer trips but much easier on the popo and the system in general, also much more scenic. Take the first morning train north and the last south, and you end up with around 5-6 hours in Seattle - have lunch at the Pike Market, ride a ferry across to Bainbridge, poke around the Pioneer Square (historic) district or the Chinatown/International district, then back on the train. Fun, not terribly expensive, and scenic day.

I know Mapquest says 3 hours driving but frankly 3 hours from downtown to downtown can be a bit optimistic, given traffic in the two cities. I usually figure 3:30 - 3:45 just to be safe.
Feb 25th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the info.

I appreciate it.