Reload this Page >

day trip from maui to lanai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 08:51 AM
jay

Is it worth it to take a day trip on the ferry from Maui to Lanai if we are not going to snorkle or rent a jeep? Can you get from the ferry to Lanai City? Any good places for lunch? Is the crossing pretty choppy in December? Thanks for any advice.

Old Nov 24th, 2002, 10:13 AM
natalie

It depends. If you don't plan on snorkeling or renting a jeep it'll only take a few hours to see everything. The ferry is nice on the way back as dolphins like to play along the boat leaving the island. You can take a shuttle from Manele Bay to Lanai City (about 15-20 mins). If you sneeze you'll pass it - literally. It's not really a shopping area more like 5 buildings in a square. The only thing really worthwile seeing is the Lodge. It's really beautiful there and a spot where you may want to have lunch. When I went in July the was not choppy but another person that I know went & said the waters were really rough - just the luck of the draw I guess.

Old Dec 8th, 2002, 08:19 AM
xxx

Any suggestions from anyone re: what works the best against seasickness?

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 12:29 AM
jt

All those pills and ginger are silly placebos. After much experience in those waters, it's clear that what counts is what you DON'T take. Don't fill your stomach with greasy, hard to digest food ahead of time. A little dry bread or a roll, maybe a banana, and not much else before the trip. Actually that area is fairly protected (tradewinds and waves are blocked by Maui).

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 04:09 AM
Renee

I would say no. We were there in July and went snorkeling and still were bored
after a couple of hours. The water was
really choppy on the way back. I walked
over to Manaale Resort and it was very
stuffy and they didn't seem to like having the "snorkel crowd" coming in.
This of course was just my opinion.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 12:29 PM
Sherry

We did a Paragon sailing trip from Maui to Lanai. Of the sailing cruises, only Paragon and Trilogy have landing rights on Lanai, and they are the highest quality. It was REALLY fun. The catamaran stopped on the way for snorkeling, but it was fun even if you hadn't snorkeled. They give you breakfast, and then a nice picnic basket lunch for your party. When we got to Lanai, we all took the beach mats they provided and did our own thing on Lanai (we ate lunch on the beach and walked around--no snorkeling or jeep tours), and then back to the boat. On the way to Lanai, about 50 dolphins came up to the catamaran, playing in it's wake, and we were so close to them it was amazing. They serve you a treat on the way home, and stop for a bit to swim as well. They also have drinks (champagne, beer, mai tais, sodas and juice) for the entire trip. It was, honestly, the best fun of our entire 14 day honeymoon!

The ferrys look like they get you there, but they don't look nearly as fun. Also, as far as places for lunch go, there's not really much there except the resort. But if you take a catamaran, lunch is usually included.

Old Dec 9th, 2002, 02:13 PM
d

Similar to Sherry, we also used Paragon. It was great! I wonder if we were on the same trip! Sherry described it perfectly!

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 07:34 AM
xxx

So, if you are taking a large family and don't want to spend the money for Paragon, it sounds like it isn't worth going over....?

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 04:42 AM
Nova

For information on a ferry service and / or tour packages to Lanai check this web site.

http://www.go-lanai.com/