day trip from Las Vegas recommendation

Feb 4th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

day trip from Las Vegas recommendation

We have visited Red Rock Canyon on two occasions while in Las Vegas and really loved it. I have had two other day trips recommended to me - Valley of Fire and a drive into the Mount Charleston/Toiyabe area. We will be making the drive March 2. Which would you recommend? Any lunch places along either route you would suggest? Thank you.
Feb 4th, 2006, 09:17 AM

Mount Charleston area is attractive. It could still be quite cold (they do ski up there) however. If you want to really make a day of it I would zuggest Zion National Park. It is 150 miles and takes about three hours to drive from Las Vegas. Spectacular scenery and worth spending some time to see.
Feb 4th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! I was hoping not to drive quite that far. Is Zion much more spectacular than Valley of Fire?
Feb 4th, 2006, 12:41 PM

I'd definitely recommend a trip to Valley of Fire. I've done this as a day-trip from Las Vegas. It's not very far at all. You could probably combine it with a trip to the Hoover Dam if you are interested in going there too.

I am going to Zion for the first time in a couple of weeks so can't compare the two. My instinct (and hope!) is that Zion is more spectacular although it's probably not really doable properly as a day-trip from Las Vegas if you want to see a lot of Zion or hike some trails.
Feb 4th, 2006, 01:27 PM

we went up to "mesquite" for some great golf and very reasonable dinner, hotel and show. but had not time to explore any parks or trails there might have been.
Feb 4th, 2006, 01:28 PM

I highly recommend Valley of Fire! Although Zion (in my opinion) is more "spectacular". However, depending on what you feel like driving...Valley of Fire 45 min.-1hr...Zion 3hrs. March is a great time to visit Valley of Fire because it will not be busy and it will not be sweltering hot. Mt. Charleston is pretty, but depending on where you are coming from, it may be nothing new...whereas Valley of Fire probably is.
Feb 4th, 2006, 02:54 PM

Here's another reco for Valley of Fire. And it makes for a really nice day trip from Vegas. You really don't have to use the whole day!

Zion is on my "list." If I were going to Zion, I'd probably give it more time.

Have fun!
Feb 4th, 2006, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate all of the replies very much. Given the fact that I live in an area fairly close to mountains, pine trees, etc. and that I really only have one day (overnight not possible), I'll make it the Valley of Fire. I'll be sure and post a trip report when I get back.