Search

Day trip from Boston to Maine

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2015, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Day trip from Boston to Maine

Hey Fodorites!

It's been a while since I posted here but I booked a trip to Boston this upcoming October and looking for some advice. I think I'm fairly set on most of the things I want to do in downtown Boston. I'll be arrive in Boston at 9pm Saturday night and leave the following Sunday at 12:00 (noon). I'd like to spend one day heading north. I'd like to stop in Salem and also hit New Hampshire and Maine. A friend of mine is from York, Maine and mentioned I might be able to make a 24 hour up from Boston to just get a feel of the coast and (I know it's corney) knock 2 more states off my list.

I was thinking of renting a car in Boston at 8am Friday morning and head up to Salem to be there by 10 to hit up a museum or two. Then continue on North from there. I have reservations at my hostel for Friday in Boston but would be willing to stay somewhere north and drive back to Boston Saturday morning if I think I can make my noon train home.

Just looking for some suggestions since I'm not too family with this area. Thanks.
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 06:24 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
My choice would be Ogunquit, Maine.
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 07:31 PM
cw

I'm confused. Are you leaving Boston Saturday and not Sunday as you mention? If this is just a one night trip it's doable but if you spend time in Salem, you won't have much time to see anything in NH or Maine.

If your trip is Columbus Day weekend, traffic will be very heavy on Friday and I'd recommend making the trip during the week. You could also explore Salem by train during the week and take the full day to explore Portsmouth before going on to Maine.
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

I'll be in Boston the first week of October so my trip north would be Friday morning the 9th to Saturday morning the 10th when I have to take the train home. Meaning this trip north would constitute the last 2 days of my trip. Sorry if that was confusing.

I guess I didn't think about the Columbus Day holiday traffic. I know here in Chicago for a 3 day weekend everyone leaves Friday to head out of the city. Usually that traffic doesn't start til 2-3pm though. Maybe I should move my trip north to the beginning of my trip. I arrive in Boston on Saturday the 3rd at 9pm. So maybe it would be best to drive up the coast Sunday the 4th and come back to Boston on Monday the 5th.

I guess also I need to research how much time I think I'll be in Salem. I suspect I'll just be there a few hours (3-4) to do the museum and walk around a bit. I expected to maybe stay overnight in Maine and then drive back the next morning. But that's sort of what I'm looking to get help with.
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

I just reread my original post. I meant to say that I arrive on a Saturday night at 9pm and leave the following Saturday at 12:00 pm. I originally thought the trip north would be good Friday morning into Saturday morning the day I leave but as CW pointed out the weekend I'm leaving Boston will be Columbus Day weekend.
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 08:18 PM

Yes it is corny, but if that's what's important to you go for it!!!

What museums in Salem? The witch? the peabody essex? The whole cape Anne area is magnificent.

But if you have your eye on York, go for it! A friend hosted her wedding at York Harbor Inn which was lovely as is the Stage Neck Inn. Lots of great lodging in Ogunquit, which was mentioned upthread.
Old Jan 21st, 2015, 09:53 PM
cw

Thanks for clarifying. I would go North when you get to Boston rather than at the end because of the holiday weekend. It will be easier to get a one-night hotel reservation then, save you from the holiday traffic, and you won't have to worry about making the train.

You can spend a couple of hours in the Peabody Essex easily. Maybe you can now see Salem on your way back to Boston. In NH, it's worth it to take the shore route up to Portsmouth. Strawberry Banke in Portsmouth is an interesting stop.

Then drive through York and up to Ogunquit. You'd see pretty coastal areas.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

So you would suggest maybe leaving Sunday morning, taking route 95 out to Salisbury where I can switch to the 1A to drive the coast. Then hop back on 95 to go up to York and drive the 1A there to Cape Neddick maybe? (There's a beautiful lighthouse there) How long would this journey take? If it was pure driving time maybe 2 hours?

I'd like to try to make it all the way up to York and even start my way back the same day and maybe stay somewhere between Salem and Salisbury/Newport so I could do Salem the first thing the next morning (Monday). I'm thinking of in Salem doing the House of Seven Gables, Old Burying Point Cemetery and Salem Witch Trials Memorial. I'm open to suggestions though. I don't really want to spend more than half a day there because the main focus of my trip is going to be Boston.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 09:55 AM

There is beautiful scenery along the coast. If you can find your way to Rt 1B which goes thru New Castle, it's a very old town and very picturesque. Also goes by the beautiful Wentworth Hotel. Ends up at Strawbery Banke Historic Area in Portsmouth. Portsmouth would definitely be a great place for lunch with many restaurants to choose from.

From Portsmouth, you go over the bridge to Kittery. If you follow the signs for Kittery Point and then Rt 103 to York ME. It's the "back way" avoiding Rt 1 Outlet He!!. Don't bother with getting back on I95 to York. In addition to Nubble Light you could also go up to South Portland to the lighthouse in Fort Williams park. Wonderful park with great views of Casco Bay.

I agree to do your Maine/Salem trip during the week and not on the weekend. The traffic on Rt 1 in very heavy and so is I95.
Old Jan 22nd, 2015, 02:32 PM
cw

I second what dfrost says about your driving route. Get on 1A and follow it into NH, then get on 1B to Portsmouth. Getting on 103 in Maine is also a good tip, unless you're interested in outlet shopping.

Without counting stops, it's probably a two hour drive.