Day hikes near Denver

Feb 27th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

Day hikes near Denver

Hello all,
My wife and I will be visiting the Denver area the first week in May and are interested in doing a good bit of hiking and sightseeing while there. In particular, I am seeking any advice on worthwhile daytrips and/or dayhikes within driving distance from Denver. I have done a fair bit of research online and found that we will likely visit Garden of the Gods and will also plan an overnight trip to see the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Otherwise, I'm looking for suggestions for 3 to 8 mile dayhikes in locales likely to be clear of snow for the time that we will be there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Feb 27th, 2006, 04:15 PM

A quick note: Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park is a good 5 to 6 hour drive (one way) from Denver.
Feb 27th, 2006, 06:06 PM
MaureenB

Boulder is a fun and easy day-trip from Denver. Lots of beautiful hiking trails at Chautauqua Park there, and a wonderful restaurant with a veranda from which the sunset view is lovely.

Feb 27th, 2006, 07:25 PM
JRP

Assuming that you'll be near Denver proper, I would suggest Roxborough State Park southwest of town and within easy driving distance of downtown (you didn't mention where you'd be staying). You can Google Roxborough and easily find directions- it will be listed in CO State Parks . Also, I've enjoyed hiking Castlewood Canyon south of Parker and east of Castle Rock. You should find info on the same site as above. Estes Park is not that far away and I am sure you'd enjoy Sprague Lake and Bear Lake for easy hikes, with optional "off the beaten" paths. You can't go wrong with Garden of the Gods. It is quite beautiful. It might be a little touristy for some tastes and it's in a residential area- not typical of CO hiking destinations. Enjoy your visit!
Feb 27th, 2006, 08:46 PM

I'll second the trails at Roxborough State Park. Check out Golden Gate State Park also. If in Rocky Mountain N.P. check out the Gem Lake Trail.
Apr 1st, 2011, 11:41 AM

Great resources for great hikes near Denver is at:
http://www.dayhikesneardenver.com/
Happy Trails

A little known hikes is the Queens Canyon hike in Colorado Springs. Contact the Glen Eyrie conference center to make a reservation. It would be a great one to do the same day as Garden of the Gods.