Day between Monterey and San Jose

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2005, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm spending 10 days in Monterey for research, and on day 11, I wake up and drive to my hotel right outside the San Jose airport (I have an early morning flight home to Tampa at like 8 a.m.).

I'm wondering how to spend day 11 - what should I stop and see on the drive up, what should I see in San Jose, etc.? I'm a nature lover and while I don't want to do any really strenuous hikes, I wouldn't mind some easy hiking etc. I will have my binoculars so if there's great birding, I'd love to do that also.

Thanks!
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 06:47 AM

Big bason Redwoods, Henry Cowell Redwoods & Castle Rock Park are all in the Santa Cruz mountains (between Santa Cruz and San Jose).
Beautiful waterfalls in Big Bason
Nice 1-2 mile hike through redwoods at Henry Cowell
Check out www.santacruzstateparks.org
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 08:00 AM

Yep - given your criteria, I would probably head for the Santa Cruz mountains, Big Basin would be first choice there. There are plenty of easy hikes there and lots of scenery. Also, as you head up Hwy 9 from Santa Cruz, you pass through some small towns that are worth checking out. Hwy 9 drops down the back side of the mountain and directly into San Jose.

Another option would be to head up Hwy 1 to Half Moon Bay, stopping to enjoy the scenery and do a bit of beach combing along the way. Pescadero Marsh has tons of birdwatching opportunities and Butano State Park has some nice easy hikes. Once at HMB, which is a nice little town, you can head over the hill on Hwy 92 and then south on Hwy 280 which will take you into San Jose.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 08:18 AM
je

The Elkhorn Slough near Moss Lading, just north of Monterey, is an excellent area to observe natural habitat for sea life and numerous birds. There are guided tours on the weekends and it is open to the public Wed through Sun. There is a web site, www.elkhornslough.org.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 11:08 AM

Saratoga (near SJ) is home to Hakone Gardens, a hillside Japanese garden that few people know about. It's on the left side of two-lane Hwy 9 / Big Basin Way as you drive uphill, after passing the center of Saratoga town.

Depending on your route, Hakone Gardens would be on the way from or to - Castle Rock State Park - which is located on Hwy 35.

On the opposite side of the valley, and more toward your hotel, Grandview Restaurant in San Jose's east foothills provides an excellent sunset dinner. Continental menu. Predatory birds seen here. About 6 miles up Hwy 130, from Alum Rock Road. It's a two lane road, not what most people consider a Hwy, but to get the State's funding... hence the Highway moniker.

Not Nature - but San Jose Museum of Art is free admission. Market Street, near the Fairmont Hotel.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 09:54 PM

I'd drive up to Santa Cruz and see Capitola and some of the beaches, if the weather is nice. You'd have fun eating a Gayle's in Capitola. You can walk on the sidewalk along the seawall at the north end of Santa Cruz, around the lighthouse.

BTW, I hope you get a chance to check out Pt. Lobos which is south of Carmel while you are in the Monterey area. It's wonderful. About 4 miles of trails, if you walk along the water's edge. Happy travels.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions!
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 05:06 AM

to je or anyone:
Re Elkhorn Slough, if we don't have time for a paddle / kayak tour, how much time is necessary for a little hike, or to see enough that we don't leave frustrated because we couldn't see more?
We'll be there on a sunday, mostly likely in the afternoon and our time will be limited.
Old Jun 13th, 2005, 02:06 PM
je

Ellen

The guided walk is over about a 2 1/2 mile trail and it will take probably more than an hour since there are frequent stops to observe. That is the most interesting way to do it since the guides are very familiar with the wildlife. However you can leave the tour at any point if you're pressed for time. You can also walk as much of the trails by yourself since they are well marked. Check their website since I think there are only two guided tours per day.