Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

David H. Koch Theater at Lincoln Center? Decent seats?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to purchase ballet tickets to see NYCB Sleeping Beauty during our trip Feb. The prices seem to be a wider range than normal so I am wondering if I should avoid certain seats.
First Ring D, the section right next to the center section, seats 34-40 are $57 but a few seats down they are $89 then $155.
Second Ring D has tickets for as little as $29. This is Row C, seats 38 and 40 and row D seat 34 and 36.
Can anyone comment on the view from these sections? I am taking my 3 girls. We do not need the best in the house and if the $29 are decent and not obstructed, we may go for it. $57 for the First Ring doesn't seem bad either.
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 03:28 PM

http://davidhkochtheater.com/Downloa...-FullChart.pdf

I assume you've seen this seating chart. I've never sat "upstairs"... because at the ballet I don't want to be distracted by the orchestra. (THo at the opera sit up so can see the orchestra -
I've sat for years in the orchestra P118 and 119. I think the first ring tickets D-34-40 are probably the best choice. (You really pay for those "front' seats.) Not too far to the right of "my" sightline which is perfect. I understand dancers prefer to watch performances from the first ring.
Wherever you sit I know you'll have a wonderful time!
Old Oct 26th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link. No, I didn't have that seating chart, just the one on their website, which isn't nearly as good.
The seats you had aren't available but a few rows back, right behind them are at $89. It is so tempting to save the extra money (a saving of $237 to go with Ring Two). My girls are all dancers so maybe they would prefer going up. I need to ask them later tonight.
Any comments about Ring One and Two?
Thanks.
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 10:38 AM

I'm a longtime subscriber to NYCB and I happen to prefer the orchestra close up and on the right side. I like to really see the individual dancers. However, the first ring will give you a better perspective to really see the group choreography which many people prefer especially in a big production with a lot of dancers. Not long a ago I sat in the first ring row c or d for a different company and the seats were fine. I could not see the detail I like in a solo or pas de deux, but they were fine. I would not recommend the second ring. Are your girls young children, teens, etc.? Young children will have a harder time be able to see if they are sitting that far back. And lastly, I have never found the orchestra a distraction anywhere in this theater. I hope this helps. Enjoy!
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

This is helpfl. My girls are 12-15. They are dancers and do appreciate the fine details of ballet.
What about Orchestra Section E, seats all the way to the end (so basically, almost sitting by the walls). There is Row B, C, D and G, two or 3 seats at the very end of these rows that are $29.
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 06:16 PM

Hmmm .. I've never heard of Orchestra seats for $29. Once I gave our center seats to visiting friends and we sat far on the "right" and still paid the same price (about $100 then).

I'd go for the 1st ring... if your daughters keep their eyes open they might even see some of the
dancers hanging about watching the performance. (Look for "bunheads".) And also, as Centralparkgirl pointed out.. the orchestra is never really a distraction. They may be too low in the pit to see but the City Ballet orchestra is highly regarded as one of the best in New York...
and a definite part of the whole NYC Ballet experience.
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 07:17 PM

World Gallery - Either will be good. You need to decide whether you want to see the 'broad' view of the ensemble choreography or the sweat and up close partnering of the dancers. If you go with the orchestra, I would say row G only because of the angle although I sit in C and all those side seats are always filled and no one seems to be suffering. The reason I like the right side of the orchestra (when facing the stage) is because that's where the dancers take their curtain calls and I enjoy that up close too.

Be sure to look at the photos of the dancers on the walls during the intermissions. They are amazing. They can be found on the orchestra level and the first ring level. Also, on the first ring level, there is a boutique with t-shirts, etc., signed ballet shoes and a great selection of ballet books. There is also a counter with free printed material on the company, choreography, etc. And you can go outside on the terrace for a lovely view of the plaza, fountain and the great Chagall paintings inside the Met which are easy to see if you're going at night. But make sure you see the photography on the walls.

Gwendolynn - don't get me started on the $29 tickets. Our big increases subsidize them because the NYCB is desperate to get young people to come and hopefully subscribe. I thought they were only in the rear - apparently not.
Old Oct 27th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your insights and tips. Very helpful!
The $29 are the two seats on the very ends of rows H and forward. That is why I was assuming they weren't good seats at all, without a view of the entire stage.
Now I just need to ask my oldest daugther, who would care the most about seat location.
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 08:20 AM

Cpg.... not to hijack the thread but I wasn't aware of the $29 tickets! I knew the Met was offering some $20 seats but wasn't paying attention to NYCB. When we first had our seats they were $50...
now $108. I just chalked it up to time and inflation.

WG... will look forward to hearing how it all works out in February -
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

I will definitely post back after our trip. Also, I always write a trip report after trips.
I ordered this morning. Not complaining because we are very happy to get the $29 seats but when I finished the transaction, there was a $10 facility fee and a $35 service fee so that added $45 onto the total price. Now I am even happier I went with the $29 seats.
Old Oct 28th, 2012, 07:17 PM

WG - Ouch! I hope you enjoy the performance and will look for your TR.

OT - Gwendolynn - since the theater was renovated, they've been playing with various pricing schemes. Last year, my two seats were priced differently! One was considered center and the other was considered side. They are both on the side. This year, they're both one price again. They've had some $29 tickets for awhile - upstairs or very rear orchestra. Frankly, I'm stunned that Row C on the far side is $29. Subscribers are subsidizing them IMO.