daughter got accepted to UC San Diego and want to plan a visit in April

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want to plan a visit to the University of California at San Diego. My daughter got accepted into their Ph.D. program, and we want to see as much as possible over a long weekend. She is 22 years old, and we are from a small city in Pennsylvania.

Here are a few of our questions:

1. Do you have any suggestions as to what we could do to make the most of only a couple of days?
2. Where should we stay? If we stay on the beach in a hotel, would it be close enough to see the university?
3. Is the zoo nearby? We've always wanted to see the San Diego zoo.
4. We are not that athletic. We would love to take an easy hike along the beach, but probably would not be renting bicycles. Any great locations?
5. We would love to take a long drive. Any suggestions?
6. We would need separate hotel rooms. Any suggestions?
7. What other sites would you see in such a short period of time?
8. We want to avoid any busy weekends that are coming up in the spring. What is your suggestion for a good weekend to come in late April?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Thank you for your help.
Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 07:09 PM
TahitiTams

HI..
Congrat's on your daughter... UCSD is a wonderful University..
I checked Expedia.com for the end of April..Friday-Monday..I like these hotels and are minutes from UCSD and La Jolla is gorgeous!
Hotel La Jolla $169 ocean view
(hotellajolla.com)
Estancia La Jolla $192
(estancialajolla.com)
La Jolla Beach & Tennis $169
(ljbtc.com)
The Lodge at Torrey Pines $$
(evanshotels.com)

Restaurants that are a must are:
Marine Room La Jolla oceanfront Lunch
Alfonso's Mexican LJ
George's at the cove.. LJ Lunch or Dinner
Drinks at La Valencia Hotel at the window and brunch on Sunday outside on the patio overlooking the LJ cove

The zoo is around 15 -20 minutes max and you can either hire a car or taxi..
It is a beautiful place.

Have a wonderful time and I know you will be seeing your daughter more than you realize because it is so beautiful here.
Walking the beach at La Jolla Shores is a must too.. Birch Aquarauim is up the road and fab too..
Keep us posted!

Old Feb 22nd, 2006, 07:28 PM
esm

Congratulations. Many departments arrange for grad student visits and inform prospects of the dates. Are you planning to visit at a different time?

In cases where the department is hosting students, they make hotel arrangements (shared room with another prospect) and usually (depending on individual dept.) offer a set amount for tickets for out of state students.

My son had a similar visit last year and they had a full day of activities arranged by UCSD. You may want to check this first before making your plans.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 02:03 PM

I was President of UCSD Alumni in San Diego for 3 years. Congratuations on your daughter's admittance! It's a great University.

The Alumni leadership used to meet at the Estancia for meetings (since it is so close to the University). The hotel management are very nice and helpful for University events. I just found this deal on travel zoo for an excellent price.

http://hotels.travelzoo.com/california-hotels/231395

The Lodge at Torrey Pines is absolutely gorgeous. It has ocean and fairway views. When my mom is in town, I take her there for a lovely brunch. Alot of the famous golfers stay there.
Marriott Residence Inn is very close to the University. You could take a shuttle to the campus. I know that several visiting professors actually live there for short periods. I think it is very reasonable. The Radisson is also close (moderately priced). It is a little closer to some other restaurants Fridays, Cal Pizza Kitchen, Islands, El Torito, etc. and some shopping but, I don't know about the shuttle service (a taxi would be maybe $5). Otherwise you are walking up a big hill!

I like the Wild Animal Park-that would combine your love of animals and a nice drive. I think it is different from the zoo in a unique and special way.

Downtown La Jolla is great. Especially on a sunny afternoon. George's (restaurant on top) is amazing for lunch or early dinner at sunset. It is not far away from the University should you choose to stay down there. The La Jolla Beach and Tennis would be my top accomodation pick in that area.

Have lunch in Old Town, too, if you get the chance.

I loved the area where the University is so much-I just bought my first home down the street from UCSD! It is costly but, I feel safe and we are centrally located.

I agree that you should check with the department she was admitted to and see if they can offer you some suggestions or arrangements for activities. I think you will find almost everyone on campus extremely friendly and helpful.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 02:11 PM

I grew up in SD and my husband went to UCSD. Congratulations, it is a beautiful campus in a beautiful location. In addition to the wonderful suggestions above, I would also suggestion a hike at the Torrey Pine State reserve. You can do part of it in the hills and then walk down to the water and walk along the beach. It is truly spectacular, especially at sunset or the hour nearing sunset.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 04:22 PM

We found San Diego very easy to navigate with rental car (compared to our own Boston area). Roads were actually marked clearly, with enough warning to actually make a decision if unfamiliar with area. So if you rent a car, the getting-lost-in-strange-city trauma will be minimized.

I loved San Diego when we visited 3 years ago - my family had to almost drag me back on the plane - hope you feel the same way since you will have lots of opportunity to visit her over next years. So I would not stress over trying to see everything in a day or 2.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 04:49 PM

As a former (70's) Asst Prof (radiolology/nuclear medicine) at UCSD Med School, Congrats and best wishes!
Don't plan a career there as you'll starve.
M
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 05:37 PM

San diego is the best college town on the west coast! Everything is fairly close to each other, if I was you I would stay on the beach. Dont miss coronado island(close too) Historic Hotel del shouldnt be missedthe Sand diego zoo is the best I have ever been to- takea tour and see the main stuff- because you could spend all day there!
There is a great restraunt called Peohe's(sp?)on cpronado- a hawaiian/californian cuisine that is beautiful too! try little taco shops like Albertos and robertos and humbertos and los panchos- these are the places shell be eating at when she gets there- ask students n camppus the best dives- they know and you will becime familiar with her world when shes far a way from home.COngrats-I went to SDSU-loved every minute!
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your responses. I am new at this, and didn't check back in a timely way to see the answers. As it turns out, my daughter got a Fulbright grant to Spain for nine months next school year. She didn't go to Admit Day at UCSD, but she wants to go there the following school year when she finishes her teaching assistantship in Spain. I am saving all of your information for the following year. She won't be back in time for Admit Day next year either. The school does not guarantee holding a spot for her since they said it is against university policy, but she still wants to go there and will reapply. I'm hoping that the Fulbright makes her an even more desirable candidate and that she will again be admitted. You are right, they were going to pay for her airfare and they would have put her up with a current grad. student. However, my husband and I wanted to try to get her an apartment and that is why we were asking about hotels, etc. Again, I'm saving this information. You've all been most helpful. Now I guess we'll be making plans to visit her in Spain!
Old May 28th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

It's more than a year since my original post, and my daughter reapplied to the same program at UCSD, and got accepted! She is still in Spain, but will be returning soon. We are going to help her set up her special graduate apartment in July. I am taking all of the suggestions from last year, printing them out, and bringing them with me! Thank you, and if anyone has any additional suggestions, please let me know. When we visit San Diego, she will have to get a car, maybe even a bicycle, register to vote (to help establish residency), plus we would love to go to the zoo, have a drink on Coronado Island (since it seems too pricey to stay there on this visit), and visit the beaches, in addition to taking a campus tour finally...Any new suggestions would be greatly appreciated.