Search

Dalton Highway

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2003, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dalton Highway

My boyfriend and I are taking a roadtrip to Alaska from apx. May 16-June 20. We are experienced roadtrippers, however, I have a question about the Dalton Highway in Alaska.
We have a 2001 Honda Civic (clearly not an SUV). Is it okay to drive the 414 unpaved miles to Deadhorse in such a car? Has anyone out there done this before? If yes, how long did it take you? Can you camp along the way up there?
I really want to visit the Arctic Ocean (accessible only by bus from Deadhorse) but cannot afford the organized tour from Fairbanks. Your help is VERY much appreciated!
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

topping-someone out there must know
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 04:32 PM

So, what is apx? Why do you think all of us should know what apx is? Yes, I have traveled in Alaska. Good luck with boyfriend and apx.
Old Apr 4th, 2003, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

apx. is an abbreviation for approximately. This means our trip dates are not set in stone. After reading my post, I can understand your confusion. I did not intend apx. to mean my place of residence which is in southern New Mexico. Hope this clarifies any misunderstandings and that someone can offer helpful advice on whether we should attempt the Dalton Highway in a car.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 09:17 PM

I am going to alaska this summer and I have been researching since last october. From everything that i have read, I would say it is not advisable to take the car up there, especially a small one. For one thing, services are far and few between and from what I hear, the speed you will have to go at in order to prevent damage to your car will take you a week to get there. Also, If I am not mistaken, you will not have direct access to the ocean since the property is government restricted. What about just taking the trip to the Artic Circle instead?
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Thanks rubigayle!
I found a website yesterday http://wwwndo.ak.blm.gov/dalton/tour/
that is also helpful. I may have read at this website or elsewhere that parts of the Dalton Highway have been paid recently but not all of it. I am requesting info. via mail on the Dalton Highway so that should help. I wouldn't be satisfied with just going to the Arctic Circle since I would sooo close to the Arctic Ocean. We may re-budget somewhere so we can afford to take a trip up from Fairbanks via bus.
Thanks Again-anyone else?
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 01:13 PM

We took a guided tour on June,2002 where we flew from Fairbanks to Deadhorse and rode a van back on the Dalton highway. It was a very expensive tour, spartan motel accommodations, lunch included. Pit stops were at very primitive facilities. It was snowing lightly when we got there, but heavily the first day on the road making visibility poor, and this was while crossing the Brooks Mtn range. While visiting the oil fields, a father and son joined our group. They had a small rental car and had driven this haul road. Amazingly, after the visit, they
turned right back ; I can't remember what they said about how long it took them. So, people have done it. But I've heard of stories of how much it could cost to be towed to the nearest service station (as in a couple of hundred dollars). Our guide mentioned too about the time a car burst its oil pan , a spill control crew came to clean up the oil on the road, but left without giving help to the motorist.

As to the road, I recall that the better condition (even paved) is close to Fairbanks.There were huge potholes and the precipitation made parts of the road more like mud. The windshield of the van had many cracks from flying stones, enough that it would not pass state inspection where I live.

There are turn-outs along the highway where we've seen tents pitched; don't know if you need permits to camp. We did see a black bear in Deadhorse but I don't know if this could be a threat. We also saw musk ox and arctic caribou.

To get to the Arctic Ocean, I believe you can not just drive up to it because you have to go though private property. We had to join a bus tour and we needed identification.

Your alternative to driving without taking an organized tour is for you to fly to and back, but I'm not sure how you can get around Deadhorse except by walking. If you are not interested in seeing the oil fields, you can fly to Barrows to visit the Arctic Ocean. Someone in our group who had been to Barrows prior to this tour said that visitor facilities there are better.
Old Apr 7th, 2003, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks banares-we are looking into renting a truck/SUV from National Car Rental in Fairbanks. I heard from Frommers.com that they are one of a few companies who rent vehicles for travel on the Dalton Highway. Although a 3 day rental plus insurance coverage will be expensive ($470+) it is still cheaper than a guided tour. We really want to do our own thing that is why, in addition to the cost, we are not so interested in the bus/air tour. Has anyone out there traveled the Dalton Highway via car/truck themselves?
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:31 AM

You will not be making this trip in 3 days. Average mph is 25 and with a rental car you may be even more limited. You also DO NOT have access to the Artic Ocean without a tour operator. A necessary reference is the MILEPOST, try your library for a copy. This will make clear to you the road conditions and risks you take on this road. Very, very limited services. Barrow is a much nicer area with native culture.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 06:53 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
I would not tackle the Haul Road (aka Dalton) in a Honda Civic. Extremely limited facilities, high liklihood of tire or windshield damage, then you're in a pickle, plus May-June is undoubtedly too early; you will still be in breakup conditions (i.e. mud and potholes at best) and possibly still pretty cold on the North Slope. Try another idea.

If you want to drive to the high Arctic, you can also consider the Canadian route to Inuvik in the NW Territories. You still can't get to Tuk on the Arctic Ocean, but it's pretty far north anyway.

If you find yourselves still wanting to play with dirt roads in Alaska in June, head over to Dawson City YT; the road is challenging enough (also beautiful) and Dawson is a wonderful, interesting tourist destination.
Old Apr 22nd, 2003, 11:29 PM
Original Poster

THANKS everyone for all the help-still debating this issue despite the risks ! It's one of my goals to visit the 4 oceans of the world and the 7 continents (if there's anyway to see Antarctica)!
Old Jun 4th, 2003, 05:53 AM

Stragic, if you haven't headed up there yet, try daltonhighwayexpress.com. They offer to drive you up there for $250 per person round trip from Fairbanks, plus $20 also per person to take you to the Artic Ocean.
If you still want to drive, you'll find lodging, food and gas in Coldfoot. It's about midpoint between Fairbanks and Prudhoe Bay. And try to change your trip for July when is warmer and the road should be ice and snow free. Gas up at every gas station you find, take at least two full size spare tires with you, food and water for the trip and rain coats.
Hope it helps.
Old Jun 8th, 2003, 04:46 PM
LML

I drove to Coldfoot one year with three persons in a Honda CRX. We blew a tire on the way back and made it all the way back to Anchorage on the tiny spare tire.

Another year, I bicycled all the way to Prudhoe Bay. What a haul that was-12 days one way. I saw an incredible amount of wildlife including moose, tons of caribou, and several bears.