Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

SUV or economy car to get around Southcentral, Alaska?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Wendy

I got a great price on a small car to rent for 10 days staying around Seward. Am I making a mistake by not getting a SUV instead? (More money!) Are there a lot of dirt roads to explore in the Southcentral part of Alaska which might make the SUV a better choice? I'd rather save my money for someother side excursion while we're there. Any Advice?

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Paul Rabe

In most places in the US, you have to get far from paved roads to see rugged, gorgeous scenery. Not the case in Alaska -- you can see enough wilderness for your lifetime from roads easily accessible from an economy car. So save your money and enjoy the view!

Old Oct 30th, 2002, 08:52 PM
Greg

I agree with Paul.
I was stunned by how much unspoiled beauty and seemingly desolate vistas we could reach from relatively main roads.
I wouldn't spend extra on an SUV.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 03:18 AM
Frank

Please save our environment and drive small sedan in Alaska. There is really no need for SUV

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 03:23 AM
xxx

I know that at least a couple of the rental car agreements I've seen specifically disallow driving the car on dirt roads. I also know that when my husband tried to rent a car in Alaska, and mentioned where he wanted to go, they wouldn't rent to him.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 03:40 AM
SUV

You would also be wise not to try to follow any off road trails. The people who do some serious wheeling in AK go prepared with spare parts and extra rations. Trail conditions vary with weather and use and someone who is not familiar with the area could make a terrible mistake just following tire tracks. There are plenty of paved roads to explore. Have a great trip. A small car will be fine.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 12:48 PM
Connie

The only place I wished we had an SUV was on the Denali Highway (not in Denali National Park). We were in an RV rental and only got 15 miles in an hour and turned around.

It is usually in pretty bad shape--lots of potholes but the scenery is fabulous and you get away from all the traffic.

Most rental agencies are very specific about what roads you can take their vehicle on and I'm sure Denali Hwy is one of them.