COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Dallas Restaurants - part two

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 02:42 PM
Brooke

Dallas Restaurants - part two

OK. Here's the second part of my message regarding where to go in Dallas.

DEEP ELLUM (mostly restaurants mentioned here, all sorts of bars you walk to here)
I used to live here

 On the edge of downtown
 Wide variety of “eclectic” restaurants, bars, shops; just park your car and walk around!
 Some of our favorites are:

The Angry Dog
Best burgers and nachos (On Commerce Street

St. Pete’s Dancing Marlin
Great variety of pasta, salads, fish, chicken, etc.
On Commerce Street (next door to Angry Dog)

The Green Room
Very good food; it's in a side area in one of the hottest bars in Deep Ellum

Sol’s Taco Lounge
Mid-range priced Tex Mex; sort of “hole in the wall”
On Commerce Street (few doors down from Angry Dog and St. Pete’s)

Adair’s
Definitely a “hole in the wall”; The only country bar in Dallas (that's worth mentioning anyway) Country music, food and beer…more of a bar with burgers, but good burgers!
On Commerce Street (next to Sol’s Taco Lounge)

Monica’s Aca y Alla
Definitely different Mexican food restaurant, not your traditional Tex Mex, but very good and very fun!
On Main Street

LOWER GREENVILLE AVENUE
(once again, mostly restaurants mentioned, but some are bars/restaurants)

 Near SMU; northeast of Knox/Henderson area
 A street lined with different restaurants, bars and shops (not as "harsh" I guess as Deep Ellum

The Blue Goose
Mid-ranged Tex Mex and great margaritas! A favorite hangout of many Dallasites!

Terilli’s
Very good Italian food

Dodie’s Seafood Cafe
Cajun, Great po-boy’s!

Daddy Jack’s
Higher-end seafood restaurant; very small and good atmosphere

Gloria’s
Spanish/Mexican restaurant mix of food

The Grape
Expensive, but a cool restaurant with continental cuisine and great wines

Stan's Blue Note
popular bar

Whisky Bar
popular more meat-market type bar

The Dubliner
great Irish pub

Hope that helps!

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 06:26 AM
L

Travelling to Dallas in the future - and know nothing about the city. What is Deep Ellum? Where would one stay to make it possible to walk to restaurants and interesting sites? Thanks.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 08:58 AM
Scott

Deep Elum is great if you are a woman.

That place is a sword fight with the guy to girl ratio at about 8:1

remember to wear your hair "big" for the
visit

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 09:01 AM
Linda

L. Deep Ellum is just across the raised freeway from downtown and is a trendy area with restaurants and bars, near the techno area. Staying near downtown or on the DART lines is best if you do not have a car.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 12:27 PM
Christie

Native Dallasite, here.

You really need a car in Dallas. Public transport is OK at best, but the DART rail lines do not go even close to Deep Ellum or Lower Greenville Avenue, and both places are too crowded at night for buses. There are no hotels close by, either. DO NOT walk from downtown hotels to Deep Ellum!!

If you absolutely can't get a car, you can always go to the West End, which is served by DART rail. Gator's has lots of frozen concoctions, and Bar Dallas is a new place that just opened and is supposed to be good. (I haven't hit it yet.)

Lower Greenville is a much preppier crowd than Deep Ellum, which is more the college-age and punk crowds. I'm much more of a Greenville person...

My personal faves on Lower Greenville:

St. Martin's Wine Bistro- lovely place with menu on chalkboards and huge wine selection. Open late for after-theatre or symphony dining. Very elegant!

Flying Burro- Southwestern/Mexican food. If you like Green Chile enchiladas, this is the place to be!

Nuevo Leon- Mex-mex food. Unique combinations and good seafood, too. (Try the seafood chimichanga!)

Snuffer's- Dallas legend for chili cheese fries and burgers!

The Granada- Watch a movie while you eat pizza and drink beer. Great place for Cowboys and Stars games, too.

Blarney Stone- Irish pub with super bartenders who can make a shamrock in the head of your Guiness! Home bar of Dallas Rugby Football Club, so on early Saturday evenings, there's a fun crowd!

I could go on and on, but those are just a few of my favorite places.

Old Jan 31st, 2001, 12:47 PM
Brooke

Good info provided by Christie. I am a Dallasite too. Like she said, Deep Ellum is a little "rougher". And you do need a car, or remember, you can always taxi it. ANd just FYI, a great hotel to stay in downtown is The Magnolia Hotel. Fairly new (probably 1-2 years old) and very, very cool. A guy owns only 2 of these, one in Denver and one in Dallas. He has a great flair for architecture and design. And the original Neimans is a block away on the same side of the street if that interests you at all. Downtown is literally less than 5 minutes away from Deep Ellum and less than 10 from Greenville. If you're from out of town, I'd just taxi to either areas and walk Greenville or Deep Ellum for a great time. And I'm sorry, I just HAD to reply to Scott's note -- that is such a horrible stereotype that I hate! No, we don't all wear our hair big and I don't have oil wells and horses in my back yard. Dallas is a very metropolitan city. Enjoy your visit!

Old Feb 1st, 2001, 12:59 PM
L

Many thanks to all, and yes, I know some women from Texas with short hair. My wife says no long hair for this guy, so I'll have to keep it a buzz. I dislike that sort of typing myself. I will use your information. Thanks again, and ciao.