Reload this Page >

Dallas recommendations

Search

Dallas recommendations

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2000, 12:14 PM
Evelyn

Dallas recommendations

I'm planning a weekend in Dallas in April. Any recommendations on what to do and see whilst we're there? What about good restaurants? Are there any neighborhoods we should avoid? Any insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Old Mar 8th, 2000, 03:04 PM
Diane

Visit the Texas Book Repository 5th Floor Museum. It is an incredible exhibit and no matter what your political background is, you will learn so much about America in the '60s, and be so impressed with the quality of the exhibit you can't help but come away very moved.

Old Mar 8th, 2000, 08:20 PM
Linda

Depends on where you are. Downtown or on the DART rail line, try Lombardi's in the West End for Italian, the Mansion is high end. Check guidelive.com for listings of things to do, places to eat, etc. It is the entertainment section of newspaper online. If you haven't seen a rodeo, Mesquite has them every weekend. Six Flags Over Texas, Texas Rangers Baseball, Dallas Stars Hockey. See Fair Park (best example of art deco architecture) & several museums. For shopping: North Park (on rail line), Galleria. The School Book Depository is the 6th floor.

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 09:29 AM
Christie

I'm a Dallas native, so feel free to ask me any questions you like.

If you are here in April, I definitely recommend a visit to the Dallas Arboretum's Dallas Blooms! celebration. The Arboretum is located on Garland Road, south of Loop 12 near White Rock Lake. Pack a picnic lunch (or go to Eatzi's on Oak Lawn and buy a lovely lunch) and head out. There are about 30 acres of gorgeous flowers to see! It is one of my favorite springtime activities!

The JFK Museum, as others have mentioned, is defintiely worth a trip. I never compain when visitors want to go- I have been there 6 times but I always go back! Take the DART train down to the West End, and the museum will be close to the train stop. There are lots of good places to eat down there- mostly chains- but go to Gator's for frozen drink concoctions!

While you are in the downtown area, a visit to the Dallas Museum of Art would be fun. They always have good exhibitions there, and it is only a short walk form the West End. (A friend of mine is one of the curators...)

Also, the Dallas World Aquaurium is down in the West End- WOW! It is $12 per person for admission, but that is well worth the money. They have a spectacular Rain Forest exhibit that is just a treat!! Also, there is a very nice cafe inside where you can get lunch.

Someone mentioned the Mesquite Rode. That is fun! It is off 635 at Military Parkway in Mesquite. The rodeo starts at 8 pm, and you can get BBQ dinner there, or go earlier to the Trail Dust steakhouse for a good steak dinner. I don't lke the box seats at the rodeo- general admission is my favorite.

There are a few neighborhoods to avoid in Dallas. If you are a newcomer, I would suggest not venturing south of I-30, especially in the area west of I-35E. There are good things there, but unless you know where you are going, it is not safe.

Just email if you need more info!!

Old Mar 9th, 2000, 05:44 PM
Linda

I live south of I-30 & west of I-35 and it is safer than most places in Dallas & has some of the prettiest terrain--even hills, but it does have some not so good areas like most older areas near downtown. Don't worry although there is not much to see in the area other than nice large old homes.

Old Mar 10th, 2000, 03:08 AM
cmcdaniel

Linda...I think Christie was referring to the areas of Oak Cliff you wouldn't want an unsuspecting visitor to venture into.

I want to second her rec for the Arboretum and Dallas Blooms. We moved from Dallas 8 years ago but son still lives there. I'm headed back in a couple of weeks for a visit and the Arboretum is tops on my list of things to do--right behind shopping the Galleria and Lovers/Inwood area.

No one has mentioned restaurants yet. What is great now in the McKinney Ave or Las Colinas areas? My favorite Tex-Mex is still Cantina Laredo on Beltline. It was as good or better last year as it was when we first went over 20 years ago.

Old Mar 10th, 2000, 12:29 PM
Jud Compton

Cantina Laredo was our favorite, but now it's Nuevo Leone (in Dallas and in Farmers Branch).

Old Mar 10th, 2000, 07:29 PM
Linda

Thanks, cmcdaniel, but there are nice and bad areas in every area of every city. I go all over Oak Cliff and never am apprehensive. I don't recommend it for visitors just as I don't for the Park Cities or Preston Hollow--there's nothing there to see but residences.

Old Mar 11th, 2000, 06:55 AM
cmcdaniel

Linda, Agreed, and there are some really beautiful parts of Oak Cliff too and those rare-for-Dallas hills and genuinely old homes (also rare for Dallas) make it special! You just have to know where you are going. Actually, many of the residences around Armstrong Parkway vicinity and Preston Hollow really are fun for tourists to see, and Armstrong Pkwy at Christmas is hard to beat! Swiss Ave too is great home touring, but you need to use common sense around that area as well.

Sorry to hear, Jud, that Cantina Laredo has had a name change...and probably a change in ownership along with it. Have you been since and if so has it changed?

USA Today had an article yesterday on Dallas dining, and the following are their recs: Citizen (Pan-Asian) on Oak Lawn, Voltaire (French) on Keller Springs, Abacus (eclectic) on McKinney, Nick & Sam's (steakhouse) on Maple, and of course Sonny Bryan's for barbeque and their Inwood location for it's atmosphere.

Under "trendiest grazing" they mention The Samba Room on Travis, FishBowl, Salve! on McKinney, Mozzarella on Elm. The Mansion on Turtle Creek is also mentioned in this group as Dean Fearing has just added sandwiches for the lunch crowd. The Mansion is a perennial though $$$$$ favorite for dinner too.

Can't wait to get back...to heck with the dining and shopping...this area has the nicest people anywhere. I really do miss it!

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 11:04 AM
kal

Howdy...Any recs on where to go in Dallas???

I'd say San Antonio !!!!

Beats The Big D any day !

Old Mar 14th, 2000, 04:41 PM
Owen O'Neill

I was there in September but stuck downtown without a car. I found no restaurants worth recommending in the "West End", which is very touristy. There are some good ones in Deep Ellum - the one we tried and were inmpressed with was "Acca Y Alla" - contemporary Southwestern cuisine. It's moderately priced and draws a fairly young crowd. Go early to avoid the wait and try to get a table on the patio if weather is decent - the noise level inside is deafening when it's busy.

Old Mar 21st, 2000, 08:53 PM
K

I would recommend eating at Fogo de Chao (off Beltline). It's a Brazilian steakhouse...all-you-can-eat...and it's absolutely delicious. It also has a huge salad bar w/ different things to eat like hearts of palm. You won't be disappointed. If you decide to go, make reservations b/c it's usually packed.