Reload this Page >

D.C. plus which beach?

Search

D.C. plus which beach?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 11:27 AM
R.H.

D.C. plus which beach?

I am planning a trip to D.C. with my husband and 3 year old child. We would also like to go to the beach for a day or two so our child can get to play in the sand, see the ocean and where we can stroll around. We were considering Virginia Beach, Ocean City or maybe one of the Delaware Beaches like Bethany or Rehoboth. Which beach would you suggest? Or someplace else?

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 11:45 AM
Rachel

Have been to all. All have fairly strong waves-you will have to keep an eye on your child. We like Ocean city-the part close to Delaware, far from the maddening crowd and Bethany and Rehoboth better than Virginia Beach. Behtany is the quietest of them-very family oriented, cute little town and tiny boardwalk. Rehoboth is very nice, and the town is larger-cute shops, restaurants, etc. Gets a little hairy at night-lots of people out strolling, shopping, dining, drinking, etc. Large teen, early 20s crowd, large gay community. Doesn't bother us, but if it's something that would offend you, better to go to Bethany or OC. Great outlet shopping in Rehoboth also-no tax. Weekend traffic can be bad from DC to the MD/DE beaches too. You might want to plan not to arrive on Fri afternoon or leave on Sun afternoon

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 12:17 PM
Stephanie P.

R.H.:

Rehoboth during the weekend can become quite unbearable in the Summer. I'd head for the State Parks between the beaches that very sparsely populated and clean. If you want to shop I'd say go to the outlets on Route 1. Go visit the Sea Shell Shop on Route 1 or on Rehoboth Avenue. They have seashell inspired items and children are welcome there. I would suggest breakfast at Grotto Pizza on Rehoboth Avenue, a few blocks from the beach. They have a surprisingly good all-you-can eat breakfast bar.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 12:30 PM
beachie

Since you have a small child, you may want to consider staying in Lewes -- nice little town, quaint, quiet, calm water, good restaurants (try La Rosa Negra). If you want a little more boardwalk-type action at night, you can drive to Rehobeth in 10-15 mins. You won't go wrong with staying in Bethany, either. But since no one mentioned Lewes, I thought I would.

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 02:08 PM
George

Beachie's got a good point. Lewes also has a nice bayside beach, which would be quite suitable for a 3-year-old. And there's Cape Henlopen State Park for the real thing.

And if you really want to indulge yourself, a day-trip to Cape May on the ferry....

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 02:33 PM
Laura

I've always taken my son to Rehoboth - safe,fun environment, well patroled, or Assateague, my family's personal favorite. My son fell in love with the ponies there,the beach is gorgeous and unspoiled, there is lots of wildlife, and, on the Virginia side, the connecting community of Chincoteague runs a family oriented carnival on days throughout the summer, in addition to theit famous pony-penning.I agree that Bethany sounds like a good alternative to Rehoboth {close enough to drive in yet away from the crowds}, and also definitely agree with one poster's warning about the wave action; My husband was turned head over heels, and I lost my bathing suit - twice!

Old Mar 21st, 2002, 02:44 PM
terry

Mertle Beach is better. We took are kids there and each one picked a day. Each one was fun ad exciting. More things for kids to do....Eat early around 4:00 P.M. otherwise you have to wait in long lines. Good Luck