D.C. and surrounding area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am looking for help and seem to have waited until the last minute to ask! We will be camping about 30 miles south of D.C. in September at Prince William Forest Park. We plan on taking day trips to the surrounding areas (in approximately a 50-75 mile radius) plus, of course, D.C. itself. We are wide open to ideas for places of interest that are perhaps not as well know as the obvious. We did hear that the museum at Quantico is a must see--and we have that on our list. Any ideas for historic places, quaint towns, reasonably priced restaurants, patriotic concerts?

Also, we have heard there is a Virginia Train that goes into D.C. each day. Anyone familiar with that? We read on the internet that there is a MegaBus that goes from D.C. to Philadelphia and/or Baltimore. Is something like that feasible for a day trip to just hit some highlights of those cities?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old Aug 24th, 2010, 06:45 PM

VRE is the train that you are thinking of. You can find out more about it at their website, www.vre.org
Baltimore and Philadelphia could both make good day trips. However, I'm not sure I would use Megabus to go to Baltimore, since its terminus is at White Flint Mall which is not near the Inner Harbor (the area you most likely will want to see in Baltimore). You can take the train (MARC or Amtrak) to Baltimore. Megabus has its terminus at the 30th Street Station in Philly and you could take a taxi or public transportation from there to the Independence Hall area if that's where you plan to go. You can also take Amtrak to Philly. I recommend you check the times and fares for both the bus and train.
You might enjoy a visit to Fredericksburg from PWF Park. You could visit the Fredericksburg Battlefield site (National Park Service) and there are lots of interesting shops and restaurants in the downtown area.
Old Aug 28th, 2010, 09:20 PM
Original Poster

Time is getting short and we could really use some more ideas for places to visit. Will check into the VRE and the other trains also. Fredericksburg is on our list of places to visit. Some cooler weather would be welcome!
Old Aug 29th, 2010, 04:08 AM

Unless you have a really long stay, I wouldn't bother with Philadelphia as a day trip from south of DC. Or Baltimore for that matter.

Old Town Alexandria would be a lot easier. It's right along the river and has nice shopping and restaurants.
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 04:12 PM

I agree that B'more and Philly are too far. Old Town Alex is wonderful. Try Mt Vernon and River Farm. You will be close to Manassas if you have interest in the Civil War.. Will uou jave a car? Who's travelling? What are your/ their interests?
Old Sep 28th, 2010, 05:02 PM

I agree with Mt Vernon.

Also, in place of Philadelphia/Baltimore - which are destinations in themselves and deserve more than a one-day visit - if you have a car, you could do Monticello as a day trip.

But there's so much to do and see in Washington itself. How many days do you have?