Custer State Park Questions

Old Aug 19th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custer State Park Questions

I am considering a trip to Mount Rushmore/Badlands/Jewel Cave/Wind Cave/Crazy Horse during a long Memorial Day Weekend. What can I expect the weather to be like at that time? Is this a terribly busy time? I will stay at Custer State Park but can't decide on Blue Bell, State Game Lodge, Legion Lake, Creekside Lodge, or Sylvan Lake Lodge.

So the big question is how crowded at that time and which lodge to stay at. My wife and I can go anytime during the summer, but this is the only chance that our daughter can go with us as she will be in between HS and summer college at that time. I can't get her to take off a month, she is determined to get some summer hours in. She did 9 hours this summer and now she is bound and determined to have 25-30 hours completed before she actually starts her freshman year.
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 04:53 PM

We used to spend our summers in the Black Hills because our relatives lived there. Since we stayed with the relatives, I can't make recommendations about the accommodations at the various lodges, but I will say that we always enjoyed going to Sylvan Lake Lodge best. (We would go to the various lodges for dinners). The location on the lake was fantastic. So, even if you don't stay there, try going for a meal to enjoy the views of the lake from the huge picture windows in the dining room.

Since you have almost a whole year before this trip, I hope you will be able to convince your daughter that one big trip (more than just a long weekend) with the family is more important that acquiring a few extra credit hours. (Been there, done that--I graduated in 3 years.) We had a wonderful one week hiking trip with our son to Glacier National Park after he graduated from high school, leaving the day after graduation so that he could be back to start summer school as well. While we did not have any problem convincing him to go, I would not have been above strong persuasion or maybe even coercion to make this trip happen. Good luck!
Old Aug 19th, 2011, 05:56 PM

The long weekend will give you a good sampling of the area - we've enjoyed long weekends there several times over the years. There's a lot of room to spread out in, so it shouldn't "seem" terribly busy - I would just make your accomodation reservations as soon as possible for best selection. The Custer/Hill City/Keystone area would be the most centrallly located for planning daytrips. I've heard good things about Blue Bell & Sylvan Lake Lodges, although have yet to stay there. As far as the weather - in the Dakotas, the joke is if you have a pair of shorts and a snow shovel in your trunk, you're ready for it all! It could be as nice as sunny low 70's, or chilly rain. If raining, the caves are still a good activity, as well as Mammoth Dig Site (mammoth elephant archeological dig INSIDE a nice building), Crazy Horse & Mt. Rushmore museums. It really is hard to predict Mother Nature; just have to go for it and book a spa treatment just in case!
Old Aug 20th, 2011, 06:28 AM
cd

We stayed at the State Lodge and while it is lovely, the room we had did not have AC. We had to change to the motel type rooms beside the Lodge that did have AC. It looked like Motel 6, but at least it was cool. However, you will not have such hot weather over Memorial Day. We decided that if we ever went back we would stay in the Sylvan Lake Lodge. We had dinner on the patio there and really enjoyed the views.
Be sure and drive Needles Hwy and Iron Mountain Rd for some scenic vies.
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone have an opinion on the lighting ceremony? I could easily fit Mount Rushmore into my day earlier and I don't like the idea of having to hang around until late. I would rather be doing something else----unless it is something spectacular.
Old Aug 24th, 2011, 01:59 PM
cd

Did not see the lighting ceremony, but driving toward Mt Rushmore at night you see it lighted in some of the Mountain Rd views.